gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 19, 2024, 10:07:39 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Pirated Artist Orders Police Raid on Sony Music Office
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pirated Artist Orders Police Raid on Sony Music Office  (Read 598 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Pirated Artist Orders Police Raid on Sony Music Office
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:47:19 pm »
http://torrentfreak.com/sony-music-office-raided-090907/

A Sony Music office in Mexico has been raided after the label refused to hand over the recordings of one of Latin America’s biggest artists, Alejandro Fernández. Police took over 6,000 CDs that Sony refused to return, even though Fernández’ contract with the label had ended.

Alejandro Fernández or “El Potrillo” is one of Latin America’s most successful singers. He has produced a few dozen hits and won two Latin Grammy’s.

Fernández had a deal with Sony Music to record seven albums. The deal ended last year after which he signed with Universal Music, but that didn’t stop Sony from using his music, photos and videos – quite the contrary.

Even without a contract, Sony decided to release a new album with previously unreleased Fernández material without the singer’s permission. Upset by this move, Fernández’s lawyer sent a cease and desist to the label, but heard nothing.

As a result of Sony’s inaction Fernández’s lawyer saw no other option than to call in the police. To prevent more damage from the ‘pirating’ label, Mexico City Police raided the label’s office and collected over 6,000 of the new CDs, master recording and the album art.

“Sony assumed that they could take tracks that weren’t part of previous albums and release them as an eighth album, as if it were new material, over which they had rights,” Jose Luis Caballero, Fernández’s lawyer said. “It’s perfectly clear that the company’s contract is limited to seven albums.”

Sony Music denies the allegations and insists they are authorized to use the recordings even though Fernández’s contract has ended. They hope that the Mexican court will be on their side.

It seems the big boys can pirate when it suits them.  :yes:

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
Re: Pirated Artist Orders Police Raid on Sony Music Office
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 12:26:58 pm »
I think I've said this before. When it comes to the coorperate world it's do as I say, not as I do.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
Re: Pirated Artist Orders Police Raid on Sony Music Office
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 03:46:35 am »
They probably do have something in the contract which states that they can do exactly what they were doing.

It's in the ultra-fine print written in Japanese braille and can be barely seen through a standard highschool microscope, but it's there.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Pirated Artist Orders Police Raid on Sony Music Office

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx