gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 01:17:32 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK ISP to Throttle BitTorrent
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: UK ISP to Throttle BitTorrent  (Read 5176 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
UK ISP to Throttle BitTorrent
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:22:15 am »
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/87090/uk-isp-to-throttle-bittorrent-newsgroups-8-1pm/

02 says will slow speeds of BitTorrent, Newsgroups, and other P2P services in order to help its “broadband flow better.”
O2, a leading provider of mobile and broadband services to consumers and businesses in the UK, has announced new peak hour traffic management protocols in order to ensure that all customers are able to access “vital services” like e-mail and streaming video.

It blames P2P programs and newsgroups that “some people run on their computers all day and night” for making it “much slower” for others trying to do simple and brief tasks online.

As such it plans to throttle both during the peak traffic hours from 8-11pm.

“We want everyone to get the most from their broadband, whatever they use it for,” it says in a press release. “That’s why we’ve introduced this policy. To help your broadband flow better.”

Here’s the list:

File-sharing:

BitTorrent
Blubster
Gnutella
KaZaA
WinMX_6688
WinMX_6699
eDonkey
Filetopia
eDonkey_UDP
Hotline
Hotline_1234
DirectConnect
GuruGuru
Soribada
Soulseek
Ares
Rodi
JoltID
eMule_UDP
Waste
Konspire2b
ExoSee
FurthurNet
MUTE
GNUnet
Nodezilla
Newsgroups:

NNTP
NNTPS
TAC_News
Audio_News
NTalk
NetNews
NAS
DDI
Giganet

It may not be too big a deal for most file-sharers, but you have to wonder whether or not O2 will decide at some later point to throttle P2P traffic throughout the day and not just during peak hours.

It seems lack of capacity is beginning to show.  8)

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
Re: UK ISP to Throttle BitTorrent
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:48:39 am »
the o2 network is actually Bethere.co.uk's network. O2 have had a massive demand mostly due to the such low prices that they offer if you have O2 mobile. I knew along time ago that them prices would bite them in the butt. It had been long discussed on the BE network how they would support this and it was said 02 phone service would subsidise it. Now it seems it will not and what a shame considering 2-3 months ago 02 and BE offered its users to switch for free to the O2 network to enjoy their cheaper deals and i note on a 12 month contract. BE's service is 3 months notice or a £40 disconnect fee whenever you want. I wonder if the same switch back deal will be on offer. Because if id made the jump i know i would be one very unhappy 02 ex BE customer.

New post     Reply with quote
   version302003 wrote:
   O2 have announced they are traffic shaping from 5th October

https://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=27829

Does this announcement from O2 affect us here at BE* ?

No it does not, that is specifically to do with O2 Access which is delivered over IPSTREAM and not the LLU network. The capacity on LLU is a lot higher than on the o2 access network and there is no traffic shaping or thorttling happening on the LLU network.

An at least sticking with BE is still the future for me :-D
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK ISP to Throttle BitTorrent

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx