gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 01:05:44 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Incomplete Install
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Incomplete Install  (Read 2558 times)

Offline angelkiller

• Forum Member
Incomplete Install
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:13:56 pm »
Hi there i have a very strange problem. I can't quite figure it out.. The install runs fine and completes and says successful. I even get the option to run it. However nothing happens and when i check the icon on the desktop its a plain white window to say corrupt shortcut. I checked the folder and there's only 3 files there. a DLL OLED something and remove1.eve and a .ini file. I have tried to reinstall but the same results. This has happened with both the 3.53 and 3.54b I have run it in administrator and several other ways.  I have uninstalled it and removed the folder, rebooted and then reinstalled - Same result.

OS is Windows 2003.

Any help would be VERY appreciated, apologies if this has been covered before but an hour search of the forum revealed no problems similar to this one.

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
Re: Incomplete Install
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:42:08 pm »
Windows 2003 is a Server edition.

You can try and install WinMX, without a patch, from httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/WinMX/WinMx%20Releases/winmx353.exe. Then download and install the patch for the 3.53 version.

OR...

You can also install the WinMX version from the above link, then place the new 3.54b4 exe in the WinMX folder. you can get the exe from here httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/WinMX/Beta/3.54%20betas/winmx354beta4.zip. Then install the patch for version 3.54b4.

Offline angelkiller

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:28:50 pm »
Didn't work.. I ended up with only 4 files.. I have tried two other programs which i use on my XP machine and they both installed perfectly. Did this to test if .exe files where being blocked. However this can't be possible as the uninstall is present which is a .exe

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:20:10 am »
Have you tried installing it somewhere other then the Program Files folder? There could be something preventing it from installing there. Make a folder in your My Documents folder named WinMX, and install it there.

Offline Savage Blades

• Forum Member
    • DJ Hire
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:22:53 am »
From that picture, it looks like you used an older setup..
All you really need is 2 files in that folder (or any folder) to make winmx work (setup is not needed to be run)
WinMX.exe & oledlg.dll
the other needed files will be created after first run.. ( basic settings files )
The WinMX.exe
httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/WinMX/Beta/3.54%20betas/winmx354beta4.zip
The oledlg.dll
http://download.winmxconex.com/oledlg.dll

Now it looks to me as if the winmxsetup.exe is being allowed to run fine... creates the folder in the right place etc etc..
but the main .exe is missing, this suggests to me maybe your anti virus software is deleting it...
try just exacting the winmx.exe from the link above to the desktop (or program folder as in picture you supplied above) , see if it dissapears..  ??
If it does, disable your AV and try again..
No pop up from your AV saying it's malware or virus ?? (maybe you can manually add a rule)
My opinions, are mine !
They may, or may not reflect the views and opinions of other WinMX World Forum members !!
DJ Hire

Offline angelkiller

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:04:39 pm »
yeah after more searching on the forum i was starting to wonder if it was antivirus but as far as i'm aware my server doesn't have antivirus however its a hosted server so i'm not 100% sure what programs are running on the server without me knowing. I was hoping to share some anime over the winmx server but wanted to host 24/7. As i have to turn my computer off at night and during the day while i'm at work.. its not a practical idea to run winmx off my own computer.. And I feel safer remotely hosting the files.. ;)

I will see what i can do about the antivirus.. however its not the sort of thing i can email my web host about :S

Does windows 2003 have a default (in-built) virus checker?

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 01:31:49 pm »
If its a VPS its possible your host may be stopping the installation of winmx or a antivirus on the host machine. I doubt it as its wrong on many levels but as savage said above try downloading the winmx.exe on its own and adding it to the folder and see if it works. On the point of it being wrong i had a host once that used to close my winmx, usually when i wasnt about. So stupid behaviour isnt uncommon :-D.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline angelkiller

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:54:01 pm »
haha i agree tiny! :P

I used this company as i managed to host a private WoW server ;)

But anyway some hiccups.. its saying the file is blocked blah blah (right click goto properties and click unblock) I've done it many times before after downloading attachments. However when i right click the file its not blocked! or at least there's no option to unblock it :S

This is getting harder by the minute.. Think i may look for another host at this rate =(

Offline Savage Blades

• Forum Member
    • DJ Hire
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 12:38:29 am »
wonder if it blocked by specific file name IE. WinMX.exe ?
If so, then it would be possible to put a file called WinMX3.54.exe in there..
so, rename WinMX.exe to WinMX3.54.exe ..
which will work fine..
Otherwise I am out of ideas..
Cheers !!
My opinions, are mine !
They may, or may not reflect the views and opinions of other WinMX World Forum members !!
DJ Hire

Offline angelkiller

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 11:16:21 pm »
ok guys.. just to help anyone who searches for this post. The problem i shall have to say is unknown.. I was praying on the fact that it was a virus issue as i've noticed one of the posts mentioning that its picked up as one due to the "nature" of WinMX. So.. I emailed my VPS host and kindly asked them to add WinMX to there exceptions list as it was being picked up by mistake. I was hoping and praying that they had no clue what WinMX was and would just add it. Quite rightly they added it and even started up the setup for me :P

I recieved an email saying it was sorted and working! I still have a small issue of not being able to make a primary connection (proberbly some firewall settings) but i can make secondary connections so i'm happy. i'm so mentally frustrated over the initial problem that i just dont care about not being able to make a primary connection :P

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Incomplete Install

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx