gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 12:51:01 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft To Windows 2000 and XP SP 2 Users: Next Year, You're On Your Own
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft To Windows 2000 and XP SP 2 Users: Next Year, You're On Your Own  (Read 926 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
 http://blogs.computerworld.com/15210/microsoft_to_windows_2000_and_xp_sp_2_users

If you're one of the millions of XP SP 2 or Windows 2000 users who likes their old operating system just fine, thank you, be prepared to go it alone. As of July 13, 2010 Microsoft will end support for you.

The move is clearly part of the Microsoft strategy to kill XP (aka OSRD, the Operating System that Refuses to Die). XP has proven to be such a solid and stable operating system that millions of people have so far refused to upgrade to either Windows Vista or Windows 7, to the unending frustration of Microsoft.

Ending support for both XP SP 2 and Windows 2000 server and client next year may not have a significant effect on most users. When was the last time you actually got support from Microsoft, after all? And support will still continue for XP with later service packs installed - extended support for XP SP3 ends in April, 2014 or two years after a release of XP SP 4, if such a thing ever happens.

A not unexpected event. If you intend to stick with XP it's probably as well to get SP3 now.  :gum:

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
Re: Microsoft To Windows 2000 and XP SP 2 Users: Next Year, You're On Your Own
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 03:15:09 pm »
Well, it isnt a surprise,

i do have SP3, but the only difference between SP2 and SP3 is the extra stuff for networking, but as 99% of home users do not run their own intranet, its useless,
as for support, we used to get support? as for updates, i havent used windows update in 4yrs except getting SP3

i have known on atleast 2 occasions this year of ppl with XP doing windows update & getting a virus in the updates,
Microsoft as good as said  "use vista, it wont happen"  like its deliberate to get you to move to their "controlled OS"

call me paranoid if you like, but i like to be in control, with XP i can,
with vista, and windows7 you are not admin of your PC, vista/win7 is, it tells you what you can & cant do

windows 7 is built on the same base as vista, only its faster due to not having vista's aero, that is the resource/ram hog

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 12:30:24 am »
i have known on atleast 2 occasions this year of ppl with XP doing windows update & getting a virus in the updates,
Microsoft as good as said  "use vista, it wont happen"  like its deliberate to get you to move to their "controlled OS"

and from whence did they acquire their 'virus affected' updates?

Love 'em or hate 'em, Microsoft do not do that, they are not THAT stupid...

and this from an individual promoting RSWCS...

Uggghhh!
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:14:10 am »
with vista, and windows7 you are not admin of your PC, vista/win7 is, it tells you what you can & cant do

Not true of windows7 .... there are 2 possible ways  to activate the administrator account in Windows 7 & take control

1/
Type   secpol.msc   in the search bar and hit enter.

After the Local Security Policy pops up, navigate to Local Policies-> Security Options where you can see an entry that reads Accounts: Administrator account. Double click the entry to enable it.

2/
Command Prompt

First you need to run Command Prompt as an administrator. You can do that by right clicking on the command prompt in the program list and choose "Run as administrator".

Then enter the command below to activate it.

net user administrator /active:yes

You can also specify your password for this particular account by using the following command

Net user administrator password

where you can replace "password" with your own password. You can see the account immediately after you logoff your Windows 7.

In order to deactivate it, you can use the command below

net user administrator /active:no

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:30:04 am »
You can also do that on Vista Hell.

Max:
Ubuntu doesnt allow SU login at the login screen, but I guess you dont have a problem with it.

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:50:33 am »
I dont use ubuntu Omega, thats Linux, but thanks for the info

Bluey, the 2 people concerned did a windows update and found they had a virus that was not there before, microsoft said their update site had been hacked and the virus planted, but they still advised the customer to use vista as this wont happen,
and i dont see wat relevance RSWCS has on microsoft and using updates on XP?? no on 2nd thoughts dont bother to explain, i should ignore such comments,

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 03:58:42 pm »
If Microsofts update site was hacked, then why didnt Microsoft disable the ability to update? Oh wait, I forgot we were talking about Microsoft. LOL

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 07:55:20 pm »
Win2k user to Microsoft:
Good. While my system is still very quick and bugfree, I have noticed increasing amounts of weirdness in the way it behaves with more updates. They are also a royal pain in the ass.
At least the worst problem from the last time I updated has stopped (BSOD for no particular reason when it got in the mood). Now it just has the other issue of windows losing focus with nothing else running while I sit there and type away. <eyeroll>

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft To Windows 2000 and XP SP 2 Users: Next Year, You're On Your Own

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx