gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 07, 2024, 06:25:48 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Download and Upload issues
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Download and Upload issues  (Read 44278 times)

No uploads

Download and Upload issues
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2005, 02:06:41 pm »
All uploads time out, I can still download though

- all uplods time out
- winme
- sp1
- behind a linksys router
- it started about a week ago
- i can only get a secondary connection
- have dsl

Thanks. Kraxxis

kash320

People cannot upload from me
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2005, 01:25:08 am »
Have disabled firewall, bypassed router and connected directly to ADSL modem and still people time out. I can download alright.

Seems that the ISP supplied modem is blocking traffic and I have no access to its interface.

Anyone seen this ??

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2005, 01:40:30 am »
Yes, but how sure are you that you dont have access to forward the ports in it?

Check the brand and model number here

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

If its there follow the default steps to forward both of your WinMX ports
TCP & UDP.

If you try these passwords listed on the site for your rouer and you cant get in I would call my ISP yes.

Let me know

MeWantMusic2005

Ditto - All uploads time out
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2005, 01:16:35 am »
win xp SP2
cox cable
belkin router
secondary (have tried being primary but no secondaries could connect)
have created ports in sp2 firewall
have created ports in router

HELP!!!  I am a computer dummy but I have tried everything to get my winmx to upload.  I am downloading fine!
Using the tutorials and forums I have been places in my computer that I never should have seen. lol.  Seriously, in the last 3 days I have learned how to go inside routers and create ports in all kinds of places.  I have setup as a primary and as a secondary.  I have used ports in my firewall and I have cut the firewall off altogether to see if that was the problem.  I have changed the port numbers a couple of times to see if that was the problem.  I have rebooted the computer.  I am at a loss especially when about once a day I see an upload go through (usually at a pretty good speed) while I have probably seen a hundred or more uploads time out.  Any more ideas that I haven't tried yet?
P.S. I have even sent messages to the couple of people who were able to download from me to see if they were in NC too or using Cox cable like me but they never responded.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2005, 02:36:51 am »
Wow MeWantMusic2005,

Sounds like you have been doing your research alright... lol

Cox is definitely filtering uploads its quite well known fact.  Because your telling me that occasionally a file will go through on the uploads, I suspect you have your ports set up fine as is.  A port is usually open or closed, not sorta kinda..

So here is what I suggest to you, go back to poking around in all them places you dont belong.. lol,,, loved that part.. and reset all ports as follows...

TCP 58000
UDP 61000

Then reboot your computer and your winmx and see how you do..

Also I am curious to know if there is any certain files that you find are attempted to upload and time out, or is it just all of them..

Let me know...

l7

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2005, 02:53:44 am »
Ok I've been slogging through a lot of this stuff and my problem doesn't seem that different but I'm making no headway.
XPpro sp2 cable high speed. I used to have a different isp high speed on phone lines. (I'd use the acronyms but probably get them wrong.

My change to cable is somewhat recent and my download of the patch was just today so I'm not sure which problem is the crux but obviously before the patch I was getting no connection at all.

I did see mention of being sure IP hasn't changed but not sure how to alter that. As well I am currently using an apple wireless switch which has generally been working great.

Was able to upload to others earlier today but now not. No downloading has worked for me. One fine fellow did get a message through calling me an asshole. Didn't seem to be able to respond or he realized he was the asshole and slithered away.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

MeWantMusic2005

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2005, 01:14:04 pm »
Oooooo...  My WinMx didn't like those ports at all.  Not only would the uploads not work, the downloads and searchs were terrible for me too.  I went back to the default ones and my downloads started working fine again.  (although before I was using  UDP 16257 instead of 6257 when an occasional upload would get through.  My TCP was 6699 then.)

Just before writing this, I was checking on my status after changing back to the defaults, and a person was in que to download from me (and everything was timing out for everybody).  Anyway I browsed her folder, and selected a few songs which downloaded super fast for my connection and yet she still could not get connected.  I just can't understand this.

I feel like such a jerk as I always hated the people who wouldn't share. (unless they were on a slow connection, because then it is hard to share and get anything.  Most people would cut you off for being so slow.  I used to be dial-up).  Anyhow, I feel guilty like I'm not sharing and I hope we can get this fixed soon.  By-the-way, there is no pattern to the songs getting through or getting timed out...it's all genres, all folders.  Thanks!

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2005, 03:44:51 am »
17, Welcome to the forum...

Sounds like an interesting prob you have, and its definatly a port issue, the next ? then is always where.. this is a tough one to answer quickly as it usually is some trial and error to find.

The main question I have for you is, what changed?

Its not really possible for the ports to just close without at least a shut down of MX, or power outage does it to a router at times...

Also would be interested to know what Cable company your with now.  

I have to say I am not familiar with your Apple Switch so, not sure about the IP changing having an effect, again usually would require an event for this to happen anyway..

Let me know about your ISP and if this has continued to be a prob for you.

Now,

MeWantMusic2005  there is only one reason your WinMX would not like ports, that would be they arent set correctly in every place... WinMX will use any ports you set.  By using the default ones it may be that those are set properly in your router, firewalls, anti virus, and winmx... however, they are also the ones that Cox Cable filters..

So I would suggest that you try to use the ones I suggested and be sure that they are all set correctly.

I realize this can be a pain but its important to try ..

Anonymous

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2005, 06:36:30 am »
Thanks for the reply and welcome me here. What changed? More like what didn't. I moved and lived out of my car for 2 months so music downloading wasn't top priority. When I got back apparently WinMX had changed, then I changed ISP, router, modem and whatever I had to change to get back on WinMX. My cable company is Shaw Cable in Canada so I'm not sure that will mean much to you.

You mentioned about changing ports in all places and I'm not sure what other places they can be changed in. All I did was the XP firewall ports and I used the ones in the tutorial depicted in the popup boxes.

Unfortunately I don't know much about the apple switch either and it's just on loan. It's late but tomorrow I'll try hooking directly into the modem and see if that makes a difference. Sorry I'm not offering much to make this easier.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2005, 06:44:16 am »
The information you supplied me was perfect.   :wink:

Shaw Cable is filtering WinMX.  This is a nasty habit of many cable compaines and its in the name of saving bandwidth, that you pay for regardless, I might add.

To my knowledge DSL (phone ISP providers) are not engaging in this selfish practice.

The ports would need to be changed in your Windows Firewall and in WinMX.  If you catch this post before you do the straight hook up then go ahead and make the changes before hand.  If not no big deal really.

... Will catch you soon to see how things went...  :)

Anonymous

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2005, 03:43:38 pm »
Thanks again, I'm surprised by your knowledge of our cable outfits. That's a bit of a kick in the nuts I'm not too wild about. You seem to be off of here in the day but I'll change ports and I guess just pick some random numbers and see what I get. Thanks again.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2005, 04:44:01 pm »
The higher the better 17

I usually choose numbers such as

58202 for tcp and
61202 for udp

But any in this area should help...

l7

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2005, 05:14:13 pm »
Cool I have now actually successfully downloaded a couple of tunes. BUT everyone trying to upload from me is still timing out (it's set at 300 or 600 seconds). No one appears to have connected to me yet, many are trying.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2005, 05:26:49 pm »
17 if you get a chance to stop by the room maybe if we could test some things would be helpful

WinMxWorld.Com_1F6B8156094A

If you havent used it before, just click the chat button, say yes I am not easily offended ..  :?

Then copy and paste that entire name and numbers into your filter bar and click the join button to the far right side...

l7

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2005, 12:47:51 am »
Well I actually just got back on line and am now on the modem directly. It seems I may be able to download again and it looks like one person connected for an upload but nothing is moving and most are timing out still. I was totally unable to connect to the internet after going direct to the modem until just now.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2005, 07:25:27 am »
17, this sounds more and more like your ISP is filtering WinMX, if any uploads are getting through even just a couple, thats uaully an indication that your ISP is allowing downloads but not uploads...'

:cry:

MeWantMusic2005

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2005, 01:26:59 am »
Hi Me Here,

I'm back.  I changed the ports to TCP 58000 and UDP 61000 again as you asked and this time my downloads started working again although they worked fine on 6699.  It's my uploads and it is still only letting very few uploads go through.  Over the last couple of days I have seen over a hundred "timed out connections" and that is just when I was watching.  I have only seen four connect.  I keep trying to engage these people in a conversation so maybe I can find out why they are able to connect, but no one will chat.  Maybe because through the "whois" button I have found all four have been "cable" with "0 files to share"!!!  Is that a coincidence or is it something that answers why the others aren't connecting.  I am cox cable.  Thanks!

MeWantMusic2005

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2005, 01:51:50 am »
...never mind.  A DSL connection sharing 1300 files just uploaded so that blows the "cable connection with no files" theory.  And they wouldn't accept messages either so I can't seem to find out if there is a common thread amongst the few who can get through.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2005, 05:51:58 am »
MeWantMusic2005,
Here is a very reputable site with some information on your ISP, Cox is notorious for doing this to their customers...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11684118

If you look around for 'Cox Cable, filtering WinMX'  in a google search you will soon find there are thousands of folks with the same problem you have...

Many that do have a choice have moved to DSL.  To date I have not known of a DSL company filtering p2p.

:cry:

MeWantMusic2005

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2005, 12:06:27 pm »
,,,if we could just figure out why some get through and upload then we could fix this.  One person finally wrote back last night and she/he was from Hong Kong.  I am from USA.  Thank goodness they knew English.  Anyhow, it's beyond my pea brain but maybe someone will figure it out because I doubt I'll ever be able to get DSL.  I will keep googling Cox cable and see if I find a solution there!  Thanks,  -Missy-

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Download and Upload issues

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx