gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 07, 2024, 08:25:53 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Download and Upload issues
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Download and Upload issues  (Read 44283 times)

madz

problems downloading
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2005, 11:51:14 pm »
i have read all the ways that ppl say to help with down loading but nothing helps for some reason downloading sems to start fast and get slower and slower until it reaches 0.00 and freezes this whole experience takes about 5 to 10 minutes from stat to freeze.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Download and Upload issues
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2005, 11:58:36 pm »
Hi Madz,

Welcome to the site.  This problem is unfortunately a problem we are seeing with certain ISPs, for example Rogers Cable and Shaw Cable.  Its called 'throttling' and what your experiencing sounds like this problem.

Could you tell me what ISP you use?

If it is one of the above named ISPs you may want to read here, where some folks have had specific luck changing the ports that WinMX uses.

https://forum.winmxworld.com/viewtopic.php?p=6458#6458

Keep in mind these ports will need to be changed in your router if you have one and firewall if you set ports up in that as well as WinMX.  Let me know how if this helps.

Hoser

Thanks for the help
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2005, 01:14:52 am »
I tell you, you can spend hours doing research to avoid asking a question that's been answered, but you can't help it in the end.  Anyway, your advice worked like a charm (although the files I was looking for, of course, are now hard to find, but at least I'm not wasting my time!).  Explanation as to why the fakes show up in searches seems elementary enough, I'm almost embarrassed I hadn't figured it out already.  

Thanks again for your help!

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2005, 02:03:39 am »
No worries Hoser,

Its a common misconception about the them.. and we dont mind answering ?s more then once.. stuff moves fast on the site and answers are not always right in front of ya ..  :wink:

<I¥I*I¥I>>Màdz11

problems downloading
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2005, 04:10:42 am »
i have tried all the suggested ways to fix this problem and i at my wits end ive even tried deleting all of winmx off the computer and reinstalling it and that still didn't work what could the problem be??????

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2005, 04:27:00 am »
It could be your ISP, some of them do this TO their customers, if this is the case, the fix is a new ISP
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Esmerelda

Re: Download and Upload issues
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2005, 06:01:56 am »
Having problems with only some of my downloads and uploads.  I can't download from some users and the same ones can't upload from me.  Connection times out no matter how many times I try.  I have no problem with the Whois or Browse even though I can't download from them.

I can't believe that this has anything to do with my computer or configuration since I have no problem at all with about half the users.  As a matter of fact, of the ones that I can download from, the transfer speeds are usually better than before the crash.  I can live with my situation but it becomes very annoying.

Running Win2K, behind a router (no precrash problem) of which I have no control so I can only connect as secondary, Norton Internet Security Firewall.  No changes since well before the crash.

Quote from: Me Here
When your having problems with uploads or downloads we need some informaion in order to help you out.

+ Is it only uploads or only downloads or both?

+ Is it ALL or only some uploads or downloads?

+ What operating system are you using?

+ What firewalls are you using, dont forget to mention whether its Service pack 1 or 2?

+ Are you behind a router?

+ Has this problem been a recent thing, if yes what have you changed on your computer that you know of?

Once you know this information be sure to check out some of our helpful guides to WinMX to make sure your questions arent answered there.

Basic Guide to WinMX

Visual on How To Share Your Files

Configuring your Firewalls with WinMX

What is A Router

Basic information on Port Forwarding

Visual on How To Change Your Ports in WinMX

Avoiding Fakes on WinMX

Starting in Safe Mode

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2005, 06:14:12 am »
If you're configured in "Firewalled" mode which is to say, with TCP & UDP both set to "unable" & connected as a secondary, you will be unable to download from any user configured the same way, clicking the little + beside the attempt before it goes away in this situation will reveal the message "both users firewalled" (I forget the number).

The other favourite is fake files.. there are a HELL of a lot of these out there, & any attempt to download these will always fail..

https://www.winmxworld.com/help/help_with_fakes.html

Is a very good link for advice on avoiding these.

Gus Morrison

« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2005, 06:06:04 am »
Instead of calling rogers .Do like i did  flood your member of parliment.Election on the 13 th of Jan.Already visit form Tony Martin our mmp.He did not realize they could do this .Going to get right after them as his office works shaw cable . Shaw sent a rep to my house while he was here 2 hrs they unlocked the system grt as soon as he left within half hr bk to  no speed.
Hard to argue when it is top speeding  while he is sitting here beside you . Other countries get after your gov.officials they do not accept this crap.same here cant get anything but bell or shaw and bell does the same phone line on internet runs about 1200 bd not very fast. take a min and write you gov offial .They did not ask me  what I was doing just I could not do what I should be able to .Luck .Gus.

adamsmom

im lost
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2005, 02:24:43 pm »
ummm.....well i was very happy to finally find a way to get back onto winmx....unfortunately im having trouble with the uploads and downloads...the uploads start and stop and start again, then time out....my downloads never actually go anywhere after they start. i have windows xp, with the norton antivirus disabled, but what im lost on is- i have no clue what an ip is, or tcp, or udp, or .........lol i was wondering is there anywhere i can go, say a site for the hopelessly lost????

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2005, 02:46:10 pm »
adamsmom
This sounds more like an issue with fake files than WinMX itself, i suggest a visit here: https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/filtering_fakes.html

If that isn't the problem, I apologise, but if things actually start I'm betting it's either this or an issue with your ISP blocking or filtering WinMX traffic.

adamsmom

« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2005, 03:14:29 pm »
i tried that, and ive downloaded a couple songs, no problem, but the poor ppl trying to upload are still having a terrifically nasty time of it...is there anything i should do?

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2005, 03:15:57 pm »
Who is your ISP ?

We might need to have you change ports and give it a try..

adamsmom

« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2005, 03:18:54 pm »
what is an isp? i live in wyandotte, mi, and i use the local cable internet connection, not comcast or anything....another thing i thought i should mentio is that i used kazaa for some x-mas songs, and besides half the files being fakes, i had no troubles downloading...thought it might help to mention that...

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2005, 03:24:53 pm »
ISP is your Internet Service Provider?

Many are filtering or throttling your p2p use, this many be why they start but wont finish.

adamsmom

« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2005, 03:35:44 pm »
i use Wyandotte High Speed Internet Access....i owe comcast money  lol...is that helpful at all?? i hope so lol :?

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2005, 03:43:42 pm »
LOL.. well the way comcast rips off its customers, I say good for you..

OK havent heard of that one actually filtering but again your problem does have the classic signs..

So let me ask you a few questions so we can direct you to the right help.

Do you have a router or modem that is NAT capable? (meaning it allows more then one computer to access the net from your house)

Have you allowed WinMX in the Norton antivirus in Worm Protection? (disabling doesnt always work)

What other firewalls do you have?

Have you done adware and spyware scans lately such as Adaware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy, or similar?

In Settings in WinMX, look at Incoming TCP Connections.. what does it say there and what options are ticked?
Same with IN/OUT UDP Connections .. whats there?

adamsmom

« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2005, 03:57:51 pm »
whew....ok i think i have what u wanted but like i said im clueless!!!

1) ok the modem is a motorola SBS 100 surfboard...and in my agreement it says if i try to rig more than 1 computer to it they will tear me limb from limb....

2) My norton is a free 90 day thingie that came with the computer and i checked a few times and as far as i can see there is no option for worm protection, so im not sure i even have it....

3) i have no clue what other firewalls i may have...how can i find out?

4) i did a spysubtract scan about 4 or 5 days ago and i think i got rid of everything but i can run it again if necessary.....

5) on outgoing TCP, it says dont use a proxy server (connect directly)

incoming TCP it says listen on port 6699

in/out UDP says port 6257

i think thats everything!! wow this sucks whoever screwed with our winmx should be shot....

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2005, 10:36:11 pm »
I cant find anything on that modem for forwarding ports which is good, means to change your ports you wont have to mess with that.

Your Norton wont have the worm protection if its earlier then 2005 model, if its 2005 you will need to have a look at this link..

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/norton_2005.html

Shows you how to allow WinMX, if you dont have the options shown there dont worry about that.

Norton does come with a firewall for some options also and if you have that option you should look here for allowing WinMX in it.

http://firewalling.com/personalfirewalls/nortonpersonalfirewall.htm

Now the important thing to remember is this, WinMX uses ports to talk to other machines through.  These are like windows so to speak, for your computer and the person's computer wanting your files, to talk through.  Your ISP 'May' be filtering the information on these ports in order to not have to allow you to use all the bandwidth for WinMX.  Rip off really, but what we do is change the window, in other words if your ISP is watching for communications through the front window, we will go to the kitchen window to communicate.  This works for some but it means changing the port numbers listed on WinMX, then allowing those same port numbers on the firewall (esp for XP).  

I have a list of suggested ports to try, the reason its a list is because of two reasons, one reason is, not all of those numbers will work for all users.  Two is, if the users have many different ports they are talking on, it makes it more difficult for your ISP to start blocking them.

Here is the list of ports for you to try:
https://forum.winmxworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=1206

So first step is to pick a number on that list that is good for either BOTH or TCP, now go to your WinMX and find the settings for your Incoming TCP where it says 6699, type in the new number you chose.
Now choose one of the numbers that is listed for BOTH or UDP, (make sure this is a different number), and go to your settings for WinMX again and choose IN/OUT UDP.. change the 6257 to this new number.

Its not likely that you are without any type of firewall, and its our advice that you do use one, even the XP firewall would be better then nothing, but again you need to make sure you allow the port numbers you chose in the XP firewall also.

Now if your using XP as your operating system there is a built in firewall on it, instructions for allowing winmx are here:

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/firewall.html

Once you have these steps all finished its time to reboot the machine and retry your WinMX, and wait and watch to see if its helped you at all.

Let me know how this works, and have no fear we are quite fond of newbies to computers or WinMX and any questions of things you dont understand are fine to ask about ..

jimi 1970

« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2005, 12:01:16 pm »
Hi me here, and guys, problem is out!!! y kick off  my adsl router and reinstall my old usb modem,using the secondary connection and the users can downloads my archives, whith the use of the 1.9 pacth of course!!!...thanks all!!!
and remember dont be a smart guys: DONT FORGET TO SHARE  YOUR FILES!!!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Download and Upload issues

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx