gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 05:20:54 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Politicians Wake Up To Unfair Nature of Govt Filesharing Proposal
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Politicians Wake Up To Unfair Nature of Govt Filesharing Proposal  (Read 926 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Imagine if a monopoly group gained control of just who could use the internet by holding the power of disconnection by simply accusing folks of file-sharing, far fetched ?

http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-surcharge-set-to-force-40000-households-offline-091228/

ISP BT predicted that operating an anti-filesharing scheme in the UK would cost £365m a year. Now the government has admitted that not only will broadband customers have to foot a £500m bill, but that burden will prove too great for 40,000 households – who will have no choice but to give up their Internet connections.

ISPs say that issuing warnings will cost every customer £1.40 ($2.24) and otherwise meddling with accounts at the behest of the music industry will add £25 ($40) total to an annual subscription.

Merely knowing that an IP has been located that is operating a filesharing application could be enough for the monopolist media cartels to try to take folks offline regardless of whats being shared and who is to police their unchecked  claims ?

Its good to see that political/business folks are waking up to this danger but of course worrying that its taken them so long to understand something everyone else has known about for so long, "disconnection by accusation" is morally wrong and unjust and the greedy cartels should pay their way instead of forcing the cost on the all net users.

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
Re: Politicians Wake Up To Unfair Nature of Govt Filesharing Proposal
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:34:56 pm »
Typical ill thought out ideas from people who have no clue .... just out of interest i have been asking a few friends about file sharing & approx 8 out of 10 of them either d/load/upload on a regular basis.... now in not saying this is pirate material  ;) ;) ;)
Can the government really think that the isp are going to shut down & loose that much revenue from customers  :no: if this was the case then the isp would need bale outs just like the banking system just to survive........... But then again that was the governments fault to start with so i guess they would  :)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:49:09 am »
Are you quoting from the conservative propaganda handbook ?

I cant for the life of me see how our govt is responsible for a financial crash that started in another country and impacted many other countries as well as the UK, what I find most amazing is why ppl are ready to blame the gov for something they have nothing to do with and yet dont ask the real question on why they are putting the country into a financial black-hole nearly as big as in ww2 to finance an ongoing war.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 02:03:20 am »
How the war (yes its your war too unless you dont mind trains being blown up and being forced into the 'religion' of islam) has any relation to britains continuing desire to become the next soviet union by controlling everything the true citizens can do including privacy, free speech, and just plain photography is beyond me.
And yes, the global financial trouble is not any one countries fault. People thought the internet companies would make zillions of dollars forever doing basically nothing. Then they thought the same in that real estate always expands upwards and nothing ever has or ever will stop it. Nothing in the known universe is going to rise in value forever no matter what the masses may think or what is shown on television. Heres a nice conservative statement...
Dont buy gold. Yes its going to go up forever and hit $2000.00 per oz by next summer. From there it will hit $5000.00. Oh and the same will happen with oil. These are things that never, ever decrease in value. lol
If you believe that I have a nice bridge to sell you. Maybe it will go up in value forever as well.
Conclusion:
Dont touch gold, unless you go out and dig it up for free yourself then sell it to the next one who thinks its going to up, up, up.
I am now done with my republican rant of the day.
 :pray:

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 02:06:37 am »
*** typed during & posted after MinersLantern posted his rant  :)

I was meaning the crash in this country & the lack of foresight not the world as a whole, just as i was on about the isp in this country as the topic was about the UK government and isp here.

A financial crash that could have been eased here if the government had imposed the constraints on the financial institutions before everything went belly up instead of waiting for the country to be bought to its knees first then impose restrictions far to little and way to late, something that whoever was in power here would have no doubt fooked up
Conservative/labour/lib dems  same crap just different clothes.

This was never meant as any kind of political propaganda (something that was never intended & would be kinda pointless on a worldwide forum such as this anyway) merely observations of what a fooked up society we live in as a whole when we can waste millions a year to try and keep the cartells happy yet we shelve worthwhile projects such as the nhs central database that would benefit millions of people in the long run..... when we pour billions into a war that just cant be won yet we leave our own pensioners to live in near poverty after a lifetime of hard graft .... that's not aimed at any political denomination as they all have there own agendas to suit dependant on who wants to wear the tin hat most come election time.

I have no political agenda myself just a genuine annoyance at governments as a whole who let fat cats gamble and decide on how they will get fatter whilst you average joe such as myself and millions of others are out there grafting our asses off just to keep our heads above water..... something i guess will never change in my lifetime.

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 02:25:38 pm »
“We are confident that those costs will be a mere fraction of the stratospheric sums suggested by some ISPs,” a BPI spokesman told The Times, adding, “..and negligibly small when set against their vast annual revenues.”

"British music churned over £3.6bn in 2008, up by 4.7%. In the same year British films accounted for 15% of worldwide box office takings, totaling £2.6bn ($4.2bn) – an increase of $1bn over 2007."

It seems that the cartels are not prepared to spend their own money to gain the huge rewards that they forecast, but it's perfectly OK to charge all isp users, guilty or not. That way you pay if you commit a crime and pay if you don't. Now that's real justice !!!!!!!!

They wonder why governments and politicians are losing the publics respect. There couldn't be a better example than this case.

Offline FM Refugee

• Forum Member
  • Old radio and music geek...
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 08:42:43 pm »
“We are confident that those costs will be a mere fraction of the stratospheric sums suggested by some ISPs,” a BPI spokesman told The Times, adding, “..and negligibly small when set against their vast annual revenues.”

"British music churned over £3.6bn in 2008, up by 4.7%. In the same year British films accounted for 15% of worldwide box office takings, totaling £2.6bn ($4.2bn) – an increase of $1bn over 2007."

...now, I don't know what 'BPI' is, and it's been 20 years since I was in the UK, so I don't fully understand everything that has been written here, but...am I reading these figures correctly?  '£3.6bn' for the British music industry...is that £3.6 billion?...as in £3.6 x 1012?? (remembering that in the UK and Europe, a 'billion' is a million million or 1012, not a thousand million or 109 as in the US; what we Americans call a 'billion' is simply a 'thousand million' or a 'milliard' over there, and what you call a 'billion' is called a 'trillion' over here)...
...with numbers like that, it doesn't sound like filesharing is hurting these folks as badly as they want everyone to believe...whatever they might be losing from filesharing seems like little more than a drop in the bucket...and they're complaining??  That is the epitome of greed...taking lessons from their American counterparts, I suppose?...
...Sounds like they are prepared to invest more time and money in trying to stop filesharing than what they are actually losing due to it...not only literally penny-pinching, but downright dumb...
'...Imagine trying to explain to a customer how you used a Colpittsilator to test the Bardeenabrattainistorized a. f. section of his Marconio, only to find it wouldn't respond to frequencies below two hundred hertz...' --Letter to the editors, Popular Electronics magazine, August 1966

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 11:27:44 pm »
no, i think we cured 'em of the 12-zeroes billion...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Politicians Wake Up To Unfair Nature of Govt Filesharing Proposal

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx