gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76781 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 July 27, 2024, 06:21:29 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Brits will give the entertainment industry millions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brits will give the entertainment industry millions  (Read 746 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Brits will give the entertainment industry millions
« on: December 30, 2009, 04:32:20 am »
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1567033/brits-entertainment-industry-millions

I make no apology for posting this article which merely shows this subject in another light.

THE CASH STRAPPED British Government plans to make the public give the entertainment industry £500 million.

According to the Times, the cash will be used to disconnect subscribers from broadband if the entertainment industry thinks they have been infringing copyrights.

The "three strikes and you're out" Digital Economy Bill, for which the entertainment industry has been lobbying hard, will leave consumers with a bill for £500 million. This is the projected cost of forcing ISPS to send warning letters to anyone accused of swapping copyrighted material illegally, and to suspend or slow the connections of those so accused who refuse to stop.

ISPs say that such interference with their customers' connections would add £25 a year to a broadband subscription. British ministers say that the cost of the initial letter-writing campaign, estimated at an extra £1.40 per subscription, will lead to 40,000 households giving up their Internet connections.

However assessments published alongside the Bill predict that the measures will generate £1.7 billion in extra sales for the music and film industries over the next ten years, as well as recovery of £350 million by the Government in extra VAT.

This is not a bad investment return for £500 million although it will be the music and film industries that profit at the country's net expense.

There is little support in Parliament for such a move being banned. Ministers will just put their increased ISP charges on their expenses, along with their second houses and bell towers.

But Charles Dunstone, chief executive of Carphone Warehouse, whose subsidiary is the largest UK ISP Talktalk, points out that it is unfair that broadband consumers should have to bail out the music and film companies. "If they really think that it's worth spending vast sums of money on these measures then they should be footing the bill; not the consumer," he told the Times.

British Telecom also said that the plans represented "collective punishment that goes against natural justice." John Petter, managing director of BT Retail's consumer division, said, "Put yourself in the shoes of a small businessman who has a rogue member of staff. Your Internet access could get cut off because of the actions of one individual. It really feels like the UK is out on a limb with these proposals compared to the rest of the world."

The Digital Economy Bill is being rushed through Parliament before the general election next year.

Now is the time to shout your protests from the roof tops. Nail your local MP, regardless of which political party they represent, and ask him/her why they support a bill in which the innocent are going to get charged for doing nothing wrong?

I always thought it was third world countries who's governments could be bought by private companies, but it seems I was wrong.  8)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Brits will give the entertainment industry millions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 01:36:24 pm »
Billionaires having secret meetings with unelected government appointed officials is always a sign of impending self interest legislation, shame on the government for allowing this corruption.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 09:43:26 pm »
I almost didn't post here because I've said it before and now I'm saying it again. Politicians the world over anymore know absolutely no shame. It's all a game to them anymore, like chess. See what and I who I can take before they take me. It's a damn shame we have all, in the US and in Brittian have let control get so far out of reach now that to try and take it back would "legally" constitute anarchism and make us traitors to our own countries in the eyes of the law. Then not only would we have added shame our own governments would take it upon themselves to vocally blackball us and have us marked for the rest of our lives. I wish I could say I see an end to it but it's likely not in my lifetime. :(
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 10:29:52 pm »
Never surrender to scoundrels Nooks  ;)

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/dontdisconnectus/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to abolish the proposed law that will see alleged illegal file sharers disconnected from their broadband connections, without a fair trial.

All those of you in the UK who haven't already signed this petition need to do so or face losing your "online voice" under a rubber stamp, the choice is yours.

If you have already signed it then get your family and friends to do so also, lets not lose by default or apathy.

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 12:21:12 am »
Just signed myself

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 01:24:10 am »
You stand in good company Hell rest assured  :-D

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 06:52:47 pm »
I have singed it. Personally, the fact that the Priminister is even considering this is outrageous.
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Brits will give the entertainment industry millions

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.012 seconds with 16 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx