gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 06:10:33 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  New Years Focus
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Years Focus  (Read 7364 times)

Offline ']['affy

• Forum Member
Re: New Years Focus
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 12:36:23 am »
i cant say i'm a programmer but if i can help someone out just let me know

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 03:49:42 pm »
Before we all go off at opposite ends of the project spectrum can we at least agree on what we are all aiming for and get that posted before asking for folks to join in ?

Can I ask those who want to head up a project to make themselves known along with the core aim of the project and then folks can offer relevant skills that can bring the concept to fruit, projects can be either applications, publicity ideas, design groups or something similar that are useful to our community, if your not sure if the project you want to get rolling is acceptable for us feel free to message me and I'll be more than happy to let you know.

Once project managers are selected then they can flesh out what they actually need and folks can put in whats needed as and when they are able, this is the most sensible and logical way of getting the ball rolling I think you,ll all agree  :)

I myself do a better job as a support operator and I,m currently involved in my own project so I wont be heading up a further project ,thus the way is clear for those of you who want to take up a responsible role to do so, all I ask is that the goals are kept transparent and that you are commited to the role as otherwise disappointment may be all your project delivers.

With that final word of warning lets hear from you folks  8)

Offline ']['affy

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 05:41:24 pm »
i wouldnt mind helping out within a design team if that helps

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 10:08:34 am »
Zenar is looking for help too it seems from this post.

Zenmx.com

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 10:10:14 am »
Project management would be better for me lol, coding is not going to be as easy as i thought.
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 03:13:01 pm »
As you all know I'm pretty busy with handling the site etc. so I won't be able to commit to something long-term at all.

That being said I'm always willing to help out in any way I can - maybe especially in testing something on linux or providing access to a linux environment igf needed?  :lol:

You all know I'm not a coder and I've only recently managed to learn some basic html/css/php and am now tackling java script  :D

If/when things change in the future I may like to be involved some more but for now that is all I can give.

LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 03:58:41 pm »
"copyright 2004 frontcode technologies"

my take... have the new client act as primary and force the old client to a 'compatible' secondary-only riding inside the 'new' network either by new patch and/or denying it a connection when set as primary (for hosts or other patch users)... if such is even possible...

the biggest problem? japan... how do you get the message across to it and all its mxmoni fans?

tho to be totally honest... im not surprised its turned into just a 'chat' network in regards to its english speaking users (im not going to go on a rant why but i think you all know)... i say just ride it as-is into the ground.... why? winmx will never be winmx again... the moment a new client comes along... its whatever that new client is.... same difference as switching to a whole new network...

then again... gs, zenar, pri... or... whoever else is left (ranma, bender, km and josh are gone im guessing)... may surprise us all.....

Offline ']['affy

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 04:46:41 pm »
if a new client is produced what would it be called? 'winmx', even tho frontcode created it it has all been abandoned for many years so would that come under abandonware or orphaned software

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 09:20:20 pm »
The client I,m working on already has a name and its not WinMX :lol:

I wont publish the name just yet as I haven't secured a website that ties in with the client name and we all know what would happen if we released a client and the cartel grabbed the site name first, they are not so honest in their dealings with members of the public as we are, see the story of shareaza.com if you are not sure how they hijack p2p users by stealth to their "pay" networks.  

Discordia wont be getting any help from me in hijacking WPN client users that for sure..lol

Once again can I make clear to all that WinMX is not open src or even copyright expired, there is no such thing as "abandon-ware" in legal circles, the copyright law protects any software for the same length of time even if its not updated for some time, and the trademark law ensures if the WinMX trade mark is registered then it cant be used by others to misrepresent their similar offerings.

PS:
"same difference as switching to a whole new network",

This is often said by folks but the fact is we already use a lot of third party software and folks will find out for themselves that if a client is using the same architecture and follows the rules we all know and love but with some interesting extra features, then there is no reason it cant be as great as WinMX, its not exactly a "new network" as some seem to feel..

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 05:59:54 pm »
PS:
"same difference as switching to a whole new network",

This is often said by folks but the fact is we already use a lot of third party software and folks will find out for themselves that if a client is using the same architecture and follows the rules we all know and love but with some interesting extra features, then there is no reason it cant be as great as WinMX, its not exactly a "new network" as some seem to feel..

same difference as putting the standard winamp 2.x skin on xmms .... ?  ;)

...just food for thought...

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 07:12:33 pm »
switching to a whole new network happened to WinMx before and did not harm it as far as I recall.
The only difference this time would be there are two different network operating groups so there will be a choice for the users to stay on the old network or change to the new one.
This change could only be interresting if restrictions like maximum shareable filesize and ipv4 are solved in the new client.

Would be nice if a new client could detect old clients and send a upgrade message if the old client tries to use new features, like download big files :)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 08:00:47 pm »
Those features are pretty simple to include in a new primary client build Wonderer.

Now let me turn my head to Mr Stripes ...

...just food for thought...

I am not aware of what xmms is so your comment perhaps lacks the impact you wished for but lets be honest only those working on clients will know what they look like or how they differ in any way from the mainstream winmx client, its my suggestion we wait and see what is able to be delivered at the end of the day rather than spend a lot of time with debating whether something looks like a duck quacks like a duck, has webbed feet but is in fact a cart-horse  ;)

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 09:34:03 am »

It is on wikipedia but it might help

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 07:54:40 pm »
I didnt even bother looking for it Wonderer, as I said the comment went over my head, now if it was something to do with WinMX I likely would have been first in the que to understand its impart  :yes:

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  New Years Focus

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx