gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 06:24:30 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  NirGaga angers cash-strapped EMI
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: NirGaga angers cash-strapped EMI  (Read 767 times)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
NirGaga angers cash-strapped EMI
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:05:28 pm »
Now EMI has sent a cease & desist letter to DJ Lobsterdust and Bootie SF regarding “NirGaga,” a mashup combining Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and Lady Gaga’s “Poker Face”, says EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) lawyer Fred von Lohmann, going on >>>

The song had appeared in Bootie SF’s “best of 2009″ compilation (and got a thumbs up from the Wall Street Journal’s Speakeasy blog), but now has been removed.

For now, you can still find it online, so you can listen and reach your own fair use conclusions. The song is obviously transformative, and it’s hard to imagine it as a substitute for the originals.

As far as we’ve been able to tell, mashups rarely draw the attention of record label lawyers.

Of course, EMI was involved in efforts to block the viral distribution of Dangermouse’s now legendary Grey Album. And EMI used the DMCA in 2008 to censor video mashups commenting on the lawsuit between Joe Satriani and Coldplay.
p2pnet
What is this that I found, I don't even? :P
More Mashups can be found here.

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
Re: NirGaga angers cash-strapped EMI
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 12:39:23 am »
Some great mixes there but not so sure we should be linking to them from here though  :o

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: NirGaga angers cash-strapped EMI
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:54:32 am »
It seems the site linked to has been served with a take down notice and has complied so it seems there is no need to remove the links, I think there is a case for mashups but only when they are of limited time or use small samples as otherwise artists works would be open season for anyone at zero expense and much as I don't like the selfish recording industry I do feel its fair that an artist who has done some work gets paid a royalty for it and it seems those who make "underground" mashups don't offer a percentage to the artist or negotiate with the label etc, just going ahead and using the work in this manner is the same as just disregarding the owners rights and we all know where that leads eh folks.

This is a shame really as some mashups are excellent but in a world with over-extended time periods on copyright it seems some things are not meant to be and creativity is often one of the first casualties.

When copyrights where first thought of the law was to protect the composer of the work for a limited time, and was originally  about 10 years, now its anything between 50 and 150 years depending on which industry bribes their politicians most effectively to monetize what should be works in the public domain, remember that when your paying out for old music, in a fair world it would already be yours for free.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  NirGaga angers cash-strapped EMI

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx