gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 10:25:14 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK News - BT Mislead Folks With New Service Offer
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: UK News - BT Mislead Folks With New Service Offer  (Read 856 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
UK News - BT Mislead Folks With New Service Offer
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:01:30 am »
Just when you though the worst had come with Virgin spying on its users, BT has anounced a new service of uber fast speed for subscribers, great eh.. not so fast ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/22/bt_infinity_p2p/

Hopes that BT's new faster broadband technology might improve peer-to-peer downloads have faded with the firm's confirmation that subscribers will be subject to the same restricitions as those on less expensive tariffs.
The firm announced "BT Infinity", based on its fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) rollout and theoretically capable of up to 40Mbit/s, yesterday.
The cheapest £19.99 package drew instant criticism from rival Virgin Media, because it has a 20GB per month download cap. 40Mbit/s is about 18GB per hour, although in reality few will come close to the top speed for long periods.
BT has now also conceded that its traffic management equipment will restrict the bandwidth available to peer-to-peer protocols on both Infinity packages, as on its existing ADSL services.
It will also restrict the bandwidth available across all protocols to the heaviest users, which it says are less than one per cent of its five million total subscribers.

Thankfully I read this Reg article before quickly escaping the BT page whilst hunting for details of the offer that are it seems secret until 25th January, I dont know about you folks but this seems like the usual rip off we are seeing from ISP companies that dont want to deliver a service they sold you and yet seem happy to take your cash every month.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
Re: UK News - BT Mislead Folks With New Service Offer
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:33:57 am »
They must be taking lessons from Australia's Telstra...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
Re: UK News - BT Mislead Folks With New Service Offer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 06:42:15 pm »
It will also restrict the bandwidth available across all protocols to the heaviest users, which it says are less than one per cent of its five million total subscribers.

Yup typical restrict the users who are guaranteed income to them

Total bullshit from BT as i know fact they restrict all users at certain times heavy or not ..... just try downloading p2p or otherwise on anyones PC connected to BT at certain times and you can see for yourself
Confront them on this and they blame heavy usage at the exchange at peak times..... ask the exchange engineers & they will tell you this is total crap.

This is not just restricted to BT alone ..most isp are just as shady when it comes to providing the service people pay for... i am with BT myself as in general i tend to find them the best of a bad lot that are available in my area.

Unlimited should mean unlimited not managed.... i don't care for the argument its to be fair to all users.... To be fair to all users they should provide a service that accommodates all for the package they pay for & as the heavy users are less than 1% then this really shouldn't be a problem as there are 99% not using what they pay for anyway  :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK News - BT Mislead Folks With New Service Offer

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx