gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 01:18:48 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK E-Petitions - The State Of Play
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: UK E-Petitions - The State Of Play  (Read 1088 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
UK E-Petitions - The State Of Play
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:46:14 pm »
Today one of the two e-petitions on the "number10" website was closed and answered by the government and on the surface looked to present the case that they would not in fact disconnect users for filesharing but before we go get the champagne out a small look at the wording of the response makes for a different case.

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page22497

We received a petition asking:

“We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to abandon Lord Mandelson’s plans to ban individuals from the internet based on their use of ‘peer to peer’ file sharing.”

The Digital Economy Bill, published on 20th November, sets out in detail our proposed legislation to tackle on-line copyright infringement, including unlawful peer to peer file-sharing.  The Bill will implement many of the key recommendations in the Government’s Digital Britain Report (June 2009).  The Report can be found at: http://www.dcms.gov.uk/what_we_do/broadcasting/5631.aspx.  The details on the Bill can be found at:  http://interactive.bis.gov.uk/digitalbritain/digital-economy-bill.

The Bill would require ISPs to write to their customers whose accounts had been identified by a rights holder as having been used for illegal down loading of their material.  In the cases of the most serious infringers, if a rights holder obtains a court order, the ISP would have to provide information so that the rights holder can take targeted court action.  

We hope these arrangements on their own will secure our aim of a  70% reduction in illegal peer to peer file sharing.  If that proves not to be the case, the Bill provides a reserve power obliging an ISP to apply ‘technical measures’ to a customer’s internet account to restrict or prevent illegal sharing.  Technical measures might be a band width restriction, a daily downloading limit or, as a last resort, temporary account suspension.  A proper independent appeal would be available against application of technical measures.

We are not requiring ISPs to monitor for unlawful file-sharing.  Nor are we proposing that ISPs look at what users download in order to combat piracy.  The way in which cases of alleged copyright infringement are discovered involves identifying material offered to other users for download in breach of copyright, rather than any monitoring of an individual’s internet account for downloads.  The process identifies the IP address of an uploader (under the legislation, making material available for copying is a breach of copyright) using publicly available information, and does not look at what an individual downloads.  Under the legislation, it is the rights holders who will identify cases of alleged copyright infringement, not the ISPs.  A fuller description of the proposed process to identify unlawful file-sharers was included in the 2008 consultation document.

We will not terminate the accounts of infringers - it is very hard to see how this could be deemed proportionate except in the most extreme – and therefore probably criminal – cases.

We added account suspension to the list of possible technical measures which might be considered if our measures to tackle unlawful file-sharing through notifications and legal action are not as successful as we hope.  This is but one of a number of possible options on which we would seek advice from Ofcom – and others – if we decided to consider a third obligation on technical measures. However what is clear is that we would need a rapid and robust route of appeal available to all consumers if we decided technical measures were needed.

So what we are seeing here is on the surface good news but dig a little deeper and the smokescreen is soon exposed for what it is, technical measures, account suspension all mean disconnecting folks from the Web so in effect this is at the least a very misleading response and unworthy of the government and number 10 in particular, in simple english this response amounts to a politicians "con" but of course its a con all parties at the moment support, thus voting for alternative parties will perhaps not be of much help, however bombarding those politicians who act like sheep and don't take on board the privacy and ethical ramifications of this poorly though out proposal would I hope bring more success in the long and short term, and this is what I urge all those who know how to do next.

This larger petition is still underway and I urge all those who have to make their mark and sign it to defend both your rights to privacy and restore a slice of common sense to what seems like a copyright zealots greatest wish-list of monopolistic abuses against you the the consumer.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/dontdisconnectus/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to abolish the proposed law that will see alleged illegal filesharers disconnected from their broadband connections, without a fair trial.

Submitted by Andrew Heaney of TalkTalk – Deadline to sign up by: 20 October 2010 – Signatures: 33,332

Be a part of the change you wish for  :yes:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Re: UK E-Petitions - The State Of Play
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:22:08 am »
Small update:

TalkTalk's Andrew Heaney made these comments after reading the Govt response.

"The Government's latest announcement on its copyright protection proposals is nothing more than semantics. It is still the case that on the say-so of record labels and film studios people will have their internet connections suspended (ie disconnected). All that the Government seems to be saying is that permanent disconnection will be reserved for the very worst offenders. But they have been saying that since day one. There is no change.

This is simply spin which masks the real issue. The detection system will implicate innocent people whose connections have been hacked into. They will still be deemed 'guilty' and then have to prove their innocence. The Digital Economy Bill will give rights holders the power to act as a judge and jury, allowing them to demand that ISPs disconnect their customers without having to prove their case in a court of law. TalkTalk is the only major ISP that has said it will simply refuse to do this and will fight its case in every court in the land and in Europe if it has to.

The proposed copyright protection measures are utterly futile. Determined filesharers will find other, undetectable ways to access material, leaving innocent people to bear the brunt of this oppressive legislation."

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:43:53 am »
Yet Talk Talk are one of the worst ISP's that throttle/cap users,
i heard they merged with AOL who was the other worst ISP that capped users,
i know people who use Talk Talk and AOL and they have trouble connecting, hosting and even on entering chat rooms,
they are preaching, but they are choking us too, ironic.

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:51:09 am »
Indeed Max but while they ask for the same thing we do its best we support their current stance and part company with them when they dont.

Offline ']['affy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:31:14 pm »
i've had talk talk come to my door atleast once a month preaching they dont charge for there broadband its rediculous, there cold callers are a pain in the arse so to speak, i'm thinking of writing a letter to them demanding they stop it, i've told them umpteen times i aint interested but u can guarantee when nxt month comes they will be at my door again saying the same old thing "do u have broadband" yes "which company are you with" sky "how much do they charge" none of your buisness "you know we at talk talk don't charge for broadband" so u keep saying "would you be interested in changing over to us" No "may i ask why?" because u throttle your client to the extreme your broadband is worthless "um......." nice chatting bye bye *door shuts*

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:05:36 pm »
i had the best defence, they knocked my door only once, they tried to preach,
till i said now either you can go away, or i can let him go, as i was holding the collar of my Staffordshire bull terrier at the time,
they ran off faster than an Olympic gold medal runner and have never come back

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 06:17:09 pm »
Taffy,
          If anyone comes to my door offering something for free I ask for it in writing. They usually go away promising to send a letter. It's strange, but the letters seem to get lost in the post.  :lol:

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK E-Petitions - The State Of Play

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx