gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 12:06:36 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  tried everything i know of
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: tried everything i know of  (Read 1278 times)

Offline wtf503

• Forum Member
tried everything i know of
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:27:24 am »
XP Pro (SP1) / 3.46 GHz processor / 2GB of RAM

I have been uising WinMX for several years now, and it has always used all my memory whenever I have used it. The task manager always shows 100% CPU usage by WinMX.exe. When I am using the program, periodically (often enough to be pretty annoying) WinMX will freeze up (meaning Not Responding) generally for 30 seconds to a minute, during which I may or may not be able to do anything else with the computer. When it comes back from this the P= and S= in the title bar always show 0 for a moment. I don't have any other programs open when I use WinMX. I have the latest patch. I usually use a primary connection, although I have tried secondary connection--that doesn't help. I have tried adjusting allocated bandwidth and the bandwidth throttle. The thing I really don't understand is, this happens from the moment I open the program, even if I don't connect to the network. I could have WinMX open but not connected and it will still use all my memory all day lol. I have always just dealt with this problem as best I could, but just in the last couple of days it got way worse. Now WinMX freezes for like 5 minutes at a time, then gives me a few seconds to do something before freezing for another 5 minutes! It's impossible to get anything accomplished. Any ideas?

Offline Savage Blades

• Forum Member
    • DJ Hire
Re: tried everything i know of
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 02:37:00 am »
Community Patch 1.0 ?
WinMx 3.54beta 4 ?
How many incompletes  ??
How long have you been using same OS ?

Close winmx... cut the .dat files from winmx's program folder and move them somewhere safe

open mx ... watch cpu usage...
it will be like you have just installed it again it will go through the setup wizard..
dont add any shared files at this stage..
just get it to the point it can get online...
keep watching cpu usage ,, then maybe add some files to share, etc
see if anything make cpu usage jump and stay there..
Cheers
Andy
My opinions, are mine !
They may, or may not reflect the views and opinions of other WinMX World Forum members !!
DJ Hire

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 04:56:50 am »
hi wtf

if it is truly winmx at the top of the list saying 100% and nothing else is running or showing above winmx in the list i would start by doing a memtest first, here 's a good link for that .. http://www.memtest.org/ , i must admit i m also wondering why you are still at sp1 but i guess this should not matter too much

i ve seen winmx take alot of memory in the past on primary but certainly not on secondary, i m kinda stunned reading your story and being patient with it all this time without complaining sooner  :?: :!:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline wtf503

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:35:49 am »
Community Patch 1.0 ? yes
WinMx 3.54beta 4 ? yes
How long have you been using same OS ? current windows installation is very recent, but I've been using this same version of windows for years
How many incompletes  ?? I think you have asked the right question here.
I took all the .dat files out of my WinMX folder and opened WinMX. As i was going through the initial steps as if it was a new installation, I chose a different (empty) folder for my downloads to go into, and I found that WinMX.exe was not using any more memory than you would expect any other program to and not freezing! Then I took the newly created .dat files out of the WinMX folder again. This time I chose the folder I have always used for downloads, and everything was as it always has been again. I had no idea that WinMX was constantly trying to do something with all those incompletes (whatever that may be), but it seems that was what was causing my problem.

I'm glad we got that figured out, but now I'm really torn lol.  Those incompletes are actually very useful in that they help prevent me from downloading files with unfamiliar filenames that I have already. It's also a way to keep track of alternate filenames which offer better descriptions of a file. I guess I'll try deleting as many incompletes out of that folder as I can. If it's still a problem I'll just have to break in a new incoming folder.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:35:27 pm »
It's actually quite possible that it's not the number of incompletes but a broken one that is the problem here.

I'd suggest renaming your current folder to incompletes_old or something like that and making a new, empty folder for your incompletes.
The you can move the old incompletes over file by file til you find the culprit if it's indeed a faulty one or till you've found out the number of incompletes your system can manage.

And THEN you can decide which incompletes to keep etc.

Good Luck!
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  tried everything i know of

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx