gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 10:56:59 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Nvidia admits GTX480 runs hot
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Nvidia admits GTX480 runs hot  (Read 714 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Nvidia admits GTX480 runs hot
« on: April 01, 2010, 05:25:57 pm »
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1599502/nvidia-admits-gtx480-runs-hot

DESIGNER OF HOT GPU CHIPS Nvidia has admitted what most every review has already said - its GTX480 chip uses "a lot of power".

In a blog post, Nvidia's Drew Henry said that the chip designer had "heard [users] concerns" with regard to power and heat. He went on to explain that a "high performance" GPU such as the GTX480 will "consume a lot of power" in order to enable "performance and features".

The Green Goblin's Fermi chip, a source of much embarrassment to the firm, finally shipped last week in GTX470 and GTX480 graphics cards. Reviews generally put the top end GTX480 slightly ahead of AMD's Radeon HD 5870 but it was clear to see that Nvidia's latest GPU chips were running excruciatingly hot. Reviewers found their units running close to 100° C when putting the cards through their paces.

The content of Henry's post might sound like an April Fool's joke, but sadly for the firm, too many reviews prove it is fact. While chip design is always a tradeoff, Nvidia clearly pushed the limits trying to shove these huge monolithic GPU chips out the door.

Now the chip designer has admitted the blatantly obvious fact that its next generation chips run hot and, if you follow its line of argument about heat being relative to performance, that's exactly what it was going for. Henry finishes off by saying that the chip is indeed designed to run at these high temperatures and doing so has no negative effects on life expectancy.

That might very well be true but really it still remains to be seen, and meanwhile it will have negative effects on your electricity bills.

"the chip is indeed designed to run at these high temperatures" ........ Oh yeah !!!!!   :lol:

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: Nvidia admits GTX480 runs hot
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:40:09 pm »
but the nearby motherboard and hard drives might not be able to handle those temps
-edited spelling mistake-
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline Savage Blades

• Forum Member
    • DJ Hire
Re: Nvidia admits GTX480 runs hot
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 04:56:52 am »
nevermind the motherboard or drives, the other components on the graphics card can not handle the heat either
add that to a sub-tropic climate where I live and that means a new graphics card every 2 years MAX...
oh well, they are cheap at least, I use a GS-7300 because using older drivers it supports fullscreen video on the plasma
After my last card fried I brought myself a newer card but after 2 days of hunting the net was not able to do as above
but it did run slightly cooler, lol
My opinions, are mine !
They may, or may not reflect the views and opinions of other WinMX World Forum members !!
DJ Hire

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Nvidia admits GTX480 runs hot

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx