gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 03:00:41 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  US News - RIAA Urge Radio Tax
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: US News - RIAA Urge Radio Tax  (Read 486 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
US News - RIAA Urge Radio Tax
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:03:33 am »
In the continuing battle with the radio giants to obtain a hithertoo untapped source of revenue for their corporate supporters the RIAA are calling on the politicians to act again

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/88962/riaa-gains-support-for-radio-tax/

During an event on Capitol Hill, the AFL-CIO hailed the radio tax as fair pay for a hard days work.
The event also drew interest from politicians at the event.

The group also issued a statement which says, “On behalf of the AFL-CIO, I am so pleased that we stand here today – united with the unions of AFM and AFTRA and with their great leaders Tom Lee and Roberta Reardon – in support of the fundamental right of Americans to be paid for their work.”

The event was held with RIAA lobbying group musicFIRST. It’s nothing short of ironic that the event was used to trumpet hard everyday working people when the groups that stand to benefit are mainly CEOs and corporations, not artists. That point is very apparent when one looks at other examples around the world of a radio tax.

As usual the Artists at the bottom of this mess still struggle to break even. In other countries this tax has existed for tens of years but it most certainly does stifle the number of radio stations and the type of content being played and it seems no one is willing to meet in the middle to work out a compromise on this topic in the US so expect some kind of confrontation again soon.

Offline beerslayer

• Forum Member
  • Attempting to make the world just a bit weirder...
Re: US News - RIAA Urge Radio Tax
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 08:41:56 am »
I'd never even heard of this "radio tax" before.  That's pretty scary.  How the hell do they intend to collect it?  Are they planning to install listening devices in our radios and/or houses so they can tell when we use the radio?  Do ham operators have to pay double?

BTW, I think the word you want is "eradicate", not "irradicate".  :)
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.  - Anatole France

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 05:11:59 pm »
BTW, I think the word you want is "eradicate", not "irradicate".

That has already been done in another thread on here & that aside we don't tend to correct people on spelling or grammar on this forum it makes for far less arguing & or conflict in the long run.

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:37:14 pm »
how would they collect??

in the netherlands we used to have such a tax called "watch and listen tax" (kijk en luister geld)(this is not the case anymore unless they are collecting now in another way, in example by making " antenna"  cable connection providers pay a part of their revenue, wich would be the case now in some way  guess) (not many dutch still use an antenna for reception anymore ..not on the home roof anymore anyway)

in the old days anyone (any home) was taxed for having one radio and one tv system, you would have to protest to not have to pay for one or the other (yes they even used different taxes for one and/or the other!)
this meant some guy could knock on your door to check for a tv  or radio even with a detecting device in his pocket, this guy could then acuse you of being a "black watcher" (zwartkijker) and fine you to pay a couple of years to collect the so called "missed years"

lately in the netherlands any public place playing tv or sound will still have to pay for this in some way (even a hairdresser having a portable radio  playing must pay !!! amazing but true)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  US News - RIAA Urge Radio Tax

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx