gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 09:40:18 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Dear Google privacy engineers …
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dear Google privacy engineers …  (Read 999 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Dear Google privacy engineers …
« on: June 03, 2010, 07:30:05 am »
http://www.p2pnet.net/story/40263

Posted under the p2pnet story on Canada’s investigation into the Google WiFi data scooping scandal >>>

What annoys me about this is that google likely snooped private communications from my wife & kids in our home.

On April 21st after I posted my experience on PrivCom http we discover on April 22 they did more than take pictures. It took a week a multi-Emails with google who were refusing to delete the pictures for their commercial product.

About 5 days of mulling it over, while google was telling the world they did not snoop on private communications I decided to write them. Oddly enough the contact given to us lowly people on their webpage is, “Privacy Matters”.

This is what I asked googles “Privacy Matters” around April 27th:

To whom it may concern,

I recently read that google has been scooping up radio (wireless) signals emanating from peoples homes. My home.

I am not satisfied with the reply given, needless to say.

I would like to know what data in its raw form you may have taken from me via your google car with unknown and hidden antenna.

I also wish to know all entities with whom this data is shared with, either in its raw form or other.

I do not subscribe to any of your products, including location products, and I am not comfortable giving you my personal information so that even more data can be gleaned for your commercial products (although my IP writing this to you on your web form will show enough). Having said that, I will be satisfied reviewing your successfully captured raw data from a random street that is representative of the Canadian data set. You need only black-out the city and Canadian province that is was captured from, or the GPS co-ordinates. Nothing more.

Additionally, I would like to know how people can have this data removed without having to Email you their names, addresses, GPS co-ordinates and/or MAC address. I have already asked you to remove 10 images of my home from your streetview product. Did you not think that maybe I want the data you took along with that removed as well? So how do we do this without me having to give you my personally identifying info?

Or maybe you won’t allow this data to be permanently removed since I was auto-opted-in regardless of any awareness and/or notification?

Are there any other products I should be aware off which I may want my data removed from, and for which people may not be aware of?

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Needless to say, I never received a reply from googles “Privacy Matters” privacy engineers.

It seems Google are a little shy when you ask questions on this subject.   :gum:

Offline beerslayer

• Forum Member
  • Attempting to make the world just a bit weirder...
Re: Dear Google privacy engineers …
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:04:04 pm »
I seem to recall reading that while Google is enjoined from recording any of this information in the future, they are permitted to keep that which they have already obtained.

I wonder... assuming I'm wrong above, is there any way one could tune a wireless router so that the information it broadcasts is not only devoid of meaningful information, but even potentially harmful to the receiving device?  (Some variant of white noise, perhaps?)  If you have a way of knowing when Google will be in your area, you could fight fire with fire - go buy a cheapo wireless router or transmitter, set it up as described above (no actual network, of course), then leave it to broadcast when Google is in the area.
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.  - Anatole France

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 01:06:51 pm »
why not amplify your router transmitter signal ..hook up  a satalite disc to it .. aim it at their little car and NUKE EM ...lol
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 01:20:35 pm »
It's already known that Googles web browser 'Chrome' has a monitoring setup within it as default to send info of your surfing to them.

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 01:27:55 pm »
there was a little thingy called unchrome to avoid that, i don t remember why exactly i dont have it installed at the moment ... could be my win7 did not accept it or that it just stopped functioning after some updates..i m not sure

off topic>btw on the topic of chrome there now is a linux compatible one available
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 02:08:44 pm »
is there any way one could tune a wireless router so that the information it broadcasts is not only devoid of meaningful information, but even potentially harmful to the receiving device?  (Some variant of white noise, perhaps?)

http://www.jammer-store.com/wifi-bluetooth-jammers-blockers.html

they arent cheap... but they work....... (the ones that do 3g make theatres nice and quiet)

and thats just one site... these things are all over the place... incl ones you can make yourself...
example; http://wwmgd.blogspot.com/2007/12/how-to-build-wifi-bluetooth-jammer.html

googles search engine is quite handy for finding info on this ;)

also... for those who dont use chrome cos it phones home... so does the google toolbar (the pagerank function)... just a tidbit more infos on that subject...

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 06:49:50 pm »
the video from your second link has been removed Silver  :o pitty .. it sounded quite intresting  :yes:

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 04:07:59 pm »
I have long heard that Google products generally sticky-beak into people's lives, which has always made me wonder why Google wants this information. I've never heard a plausible explanation.

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 05:57:40 pm »
well google is verry much into advertising and development i m sure you are aware of that, would n't it just be a case of "the more you know ..the more you can invent?"

we can only hope and pray they use all this info wisely however i think they allready crossed that line a couple of times

funny thing to add to this is they also mingle themselves in promising privacy by encrypting your  searches ... https://www.google.com (beta stage) ;)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Dear Google privacy engineers …

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx