gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 12:33:39 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Abba Tributes told to change their band names or face legal actions...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Abba Tributes told to change their band names or face legal actions...  (Read 1684 times)

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/abba-tribute-bands-told-they-must-change-their-names-1991107.html

You might call it a case of "Thank you for the music – but now please change your name". Abba tribute acts, who have kept the memory of Sweden's most famous export alive since the band played their last concert more than 25 years ago, have been told by band's record company they can no longer use the group's name.

Lawyers for Universal Music in Sweden sent out legal notices to more than 15 acts telling them to stop trading off the name "Abba" as it was an infringement of the band's intellectual property rights. Well-established acts, including Abba Queens, Abba Mania and Swede Dreamz Abba Tribute have all been ordered to change their names immediately.

Tribute musicians say that if they comply with the request, they may have to hang up their sequins and disco shoes forever because they will lose the reputation they have worked hard to build up.

At the last count there were more than 40 Abba tribute bands in the UK, helping fuel a revival of interest in the group's music which has seen the launch of the musical Mamma Mia and the subsequent hit Hollywood film.

Anneli Stockwell, a singer in the band Abba Queens, said: "We've been established for four years with the band name, working our way up from playing in pubs to theatres.

"If we have to change the name we'll lose all that business and reputation. We've also spent a lot of money on backdrops and publicity already."

However, a spokesperson for Universal Music told The Stage: "We've had complaints from all over the world where fans feel they've been misled and we feel it's our duty to protect the Abba brand from misuse."

I spoke directly to a representative from such a tribute act today, it appears the record company are claiming specifically they have received complaints from members of the public in Africa and South America who feel they have been misled by an Abba tribute band. I wonder why Warner felt the need to target UK based tribute acts who tend to do weddings and such, and tend not to tour Africa and South America. I smell something fishy.......

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
Is that the cash tin i hear rattling?

Theres a few of 'em downunder too, and never any confusion...

suspect Universal is fulla faeces...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Mick832

• MX Hosts
I think all Abba tribute bands should be completely banned from ever appearing again, and all copies of the entire Abba discography tracked down and destroyed, but that is a personal opinion.

I suppose if it was some attempt to licence tribute bands and earn royalties, rather than protecting the Abba name, then this would be the largest group of tribute bands around the world, and the most lucrative place to start.

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
Ohh thats a little harsh Mick,
when you think the tribute bands dont do any harm, they dont kill people, they are a form of entertainment to thousands of people that would otherwise be bored, including hen parties/ladies nights etc.

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
me?
bored?
at a hen party?
noooooooooooooooo, not this ol rooster!
lol
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Mick832

• MX Hosts
Ohh thats a little harsh Mick,
when you think the tribute bands dont do any harm, they dont kill people, they are a form of entertainment to thousands of people that would otherwise be bored, including hen parties/ladies nights etc.

Abba tribute bands have been proven to cause immense suffering in listeners, even more so than Abba themselves.   The other tribute bands are fine.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Abba Tributes told to change their band names or face legal actions...

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx