gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 01:03:13 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Nice To Meet You!  |  Hello all...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hello all...  (Read 2495 times)

Offline FM Refugee

• Forum Member
  • Old radio and music geek...
Hello all...
« on: December 28, 2009, 06:26:23 am »
...I've been using WinMX for some time but never knew this place existed until a couple of folks in the WinMX Community chat room pointed me in this direction.  I'm an older fellow and came here looking for older music (60s and 70s) that is hard to find on other 'legitimate' download sites.  I was also active on the original Napster before certain wieners got their panties in a bunch over it and caused that whole brouhaha...The shutdown of the original WinMX was only a temporary setback, as this community has been good enough to keep it alive in this form   :w00t: .  Despite the controversy over file sharing, I feel that sites like this one are a potential treasure trove of hard-to-find older material, and I'll keep using them as much as I can.  I've already found some tuneage that I haven't heard in literally decades.
...I use this 'handle' because it's what I feel like and have felt like for some time with the sorry state of FM radio these days.  I grew up with the 'experimental' FM rock stations in the late 60s/early 70s that offered an unbelievable variety of programming...just about anything except for the blatantly commercial.  There isn't any of that around anymore, and thus I feel like a 'refugee', cast out into a void with nowhere to go to find anything good.  At least here I can find some of that stuff those stations used to play back in the better days, and to me that makes this site valuable.
...I look for mostly mid-60s pop/rock (pop was never better than in the 65-67 time frame) and a variety of types of late-60s to mid-70s rock, including straight rock, prog rock, UK trad-rock, jazz fusion, etc.  This site has enabled me to rediscover bands from that period that I had known about but didn't pay a lot of attention to at the time and didn't really know what they sounded like, and they disappeared before I could give them a listen.  At least here I can do that now...
...I've got to sort a few things our about using WinMX, getting the patches up to speed, and dealing with 'Connection timed out' and 'Connection refused' issues that I occasionally encounter.  The folks in the chat room have already steered me toward some things I need to try, and when I don't have any downloads pending (I have four as I write this) I'm going to try them (they involve shutting down WinMX and I don't want to lose my place in the queues).  I'll also be asking the occasional question and/or browsing through here to look for other ideas...
...I'm in the US (people have suggested that that is one reason why I get the occasional 'Connection refused'); I hope that doesn't bother too many folks here...

...I'm using WinMX and :firefox: on an HP Pavilion dv8035 oversized laptop, and I use Audacity to 'tweak' the sound on some of the material I find here (some of it, especially in 128 kb/s and lower resolution, has benefited from treatment with custom EQ curves to restore highs that get lost or severely reduced in the MP3 encoding)...Audacity is my friend...I've also used it to separate the tracks in album wraps (before I understood what an 'album wrap' actually was; I need to go to Sourceforge and get the ALBA software that is used for creating and separating wraps...especially the wraps I've found that are inside-out and backwards...I've been able to sort them out using Audacity, but it's a lot of work...highlight one track, copy and paste it into a new Audacity window, reprocess it, then export it into an album folder and give it a new metadata tag in the process...takes time, but it works...then I'll be able to set up each album folder as a separate playlist on a media player (I'm still using Winamp primarily for this...I've got Winamp with the 'Braun CC4' skin that looks like a German Braun CD/stereo setup...
...anyway, hello to the WinMX community from the rock-bound coast of Maine, USA...
'...Imagine trying to explain to a customer how you used a Colpittsilator to test the Bardeenabrattainistorized a. f. section of his Marconio, only to find it wouldn't respond to frequencies below two hundred hertz...' --Letter to the editors, Popular Electronics magazine, August 1966

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
Re: Hello all...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 06:37:15 am »
Hi FM Refugee

Welcome to winmxworld.com.

Happy Winmxing :D
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline FM Refugee

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 06:57:09 am »
...the wonderful thing about Tiggers
is Tiggers are wonderful things...

...thx for the welcome!...
'...Imagine trying to explain to a customer how you used a Colpittsilator to test the Bardeenabrattainistorized a. f. section of his Marconio, only to find it wouldn't respond to frequencies below two hundred hertz...' --Letter to the editors, Popular Electronics magazine, August 1966

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 10:42:51 am »
and I'll welcome ya too, browse me in one of my guises, ya may be delighted...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline FM Refugee

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 06:22:17 pm »
and I'll welcome ya too, browse me in one of my guises, ya may be delighted...
...ahh...we've already met...sort of... :P

Offline alkatraz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 05:51:13 pm »
can I ask a question how download movies

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 06:47:21 pm »
Do you know how to download Music from Winmx alkatraz. If you do it's the same thing except you click (where it says MP3) and choose your desired movie format.
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline Steve Carras

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 08:07:51 am »
Hi,  I just joined here, and am very glad to be here. I used to post as a guest some years back. Using PiePatch I have downloaded a lot of stuff but now mostly use SoulSeek [and before Limewire as well as I mentioned as a guest, until the 134.4KB "Bill Clinton"'s trojans turned up.]

Offline Bluehaze

• Forum Member
    • Realms Beyond
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 11:16:45 pm »
Welcome Steve Carras! It is good to see you!  :yes:  Thanks for joining the forum and posting!
"As one grows older, one becomes wiser and more foolish,"
Francois de La Rochefoucauld

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Nice To Meet You!  |  Hello all...

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx