gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 07:06:42 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Metis Scripts and Help  |  Other Metis scripts  |  IMDB for Metis
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: IMDB for Metis  (Read 5543 times)

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
IMDB for Metis
« on: April 30, 2010, 03:34:39 pm »
Link to Download: http://www.mxpulse.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=231&p=1003#p1003

As the title suggests this is an IMDB script for WinMX. It enables you to lookup the Actors, Directors, Genres, Ratings, Plot and Year of Release of Movies straight in your room.
This is the 2nd Alpha Release so it may be a little buggy. More information about it is at the link above, Enjoy.

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
Re: IMDB for Metis
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 05:31:03 pm »
Nice 1 Pri, it sounds great :)

Offline Blitzen

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 07:53:50 pm »
Nice script but why would someone who openly shares copyright material then go and add some type of licence for using a script they wrote that does not make sense ? but fair play to you for your time and effort in making it and sharing it ;)

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 08:28:51 pm »
Did you even read the license Blitzen? It empowers you to alter and share the script.

License:
    * You may alter the script however you want, however if you propagate it at all you must release it to everybody
    * You may not host this script on your website. You must link to this page!
    * I reserve the right to deny you access to the IMDB API that the script uses for any reason

You make it sound like I have a license that restricts your use of the script in some way.

Offline Blitzen

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:35:16 pm »
I just cannot understand why you was putting restrictions on your script simular to how copyright works. Many great scripts and software has been released on winmx without such restrictions i was just wondering why your work was so different to others that have freely shared their work with no restrictions. I just find it odd that anyone who was involved in any filesharing network would want to put such restriction of use and have a reserved right of access to required features when they themselves have used other peoples work without permission and i do not mean scripts.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 09:28:12 pm »
The IMDB API that the script uses is not included in the script. It runs on my server and uses my server resources every time you make a query. I reserve the right to deny your IP Address access to that API (Which runs on my server). I included this in the license because I want it to be very clear that if you abuse the API (By for example writing your own program to use the API that overloads my webserver).

The script is designed to be light on resources. But the script also allows you to alter the script and redistribute your modified version (which again uses my online hosted by me, at my expense API) if your code is so poor it causes issues for my server I reserve the right to deny you access.

That is one circumstance where I would leverage my rights to deny you access to my resources. The script is free and open source. Anyone can modify and release it. This is the same license as on any other script.

On the 2nd license piece I mention that you are not allowed to redistribute the script as-is. This means if you simply download my script to host on your website = this is not allowed. You must make some kind of alteration to the script to be able to host it yourself. Why did I do this? Because 1. I want to make sure people get the latest version of the script at any time they decide to seek it out. And 2. I want them to be aware of the requirements and know where to obtain support for the script.

You mention that I am someone who openly shares copyrighted material. Well I've never stated that on this forum and I am not sharing any copyrighted material right now. I would appreciate it that if you want to be negative towards things I post on the forum for free that they be targeted at how the script functions and not at the very liberal licenses included with my releases.

You may notice that my Proxy Blocker script does not include any license. This IMDB script is a specialty due to its required use of my closed source IMDB API. Future scripts that do not require such things will not have a license stipulating shutdown possibilities as I would have no burden for keeping those future scripts operational.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 10:41:39 pm »
In this case I have to agree with Pri that its his right to have full control over his server and anything hosted on it, he has been very hard at work for a long time on his script and of course the sever based back end code and whilst he is a nice guy and helps many folks out that doesnt mean he is able or willing to provide a service for the whole world and thus he is simply being honest here and I for one appreciate that honesty.

Offline Blitzen

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:07:37 pm »
Yes i also see as it is using your own resources that there is a need for some control :) like i said good script too

Offline shakes

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 07:25:03 pm »
Thanks Pri,another great script from you.Keep up the good work.
We need more people like yourself putting new scripts on here.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 07:04:07 am »
Just thought I'd update this as I released a big functionality update to IMDB today. It now uses a newer version of my API which increases the accuracy of pulling the right data for a Movie. This is most helpful when you are trying to IMDB a movie which hasn't released yet where IMDB.com is still pointing the query result to another Movie. Todays changes work around this error to provide much improved reliability. Performance has also been improved slightly by offloading some data collection from the IMDB.com site itself directly to the API result.

A full detail of what exactly the change brings is in the post on my site but basically its improved I suggest you go and update! :)

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:40:34 am »
I was away on Holiday and whilst I was gone IMDB redesigned there website. Which broke the script obviously. Today I have re-written the parts affected by the sites overhaul and the script is now fully working again as-is the httpget API on my site and the API in the script itself. There were no variable changes made so software using the scripts built in API function should continue to work fine.

http://www.mxpulse.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=231&p=1075#p1075

enjoy :)

Offline sharing sarah

• Forum Member
  • A Music & Movie Spectrum_F135E44219F6
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 01:12:51 pm »
Thanks Pri, and I hope the vacation was fun and relaxing :)

Offline Jennifer9434

• MX Hosts
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 02:50:37 am »
nice script now only if i could get it to work would be great im so tired of having to add each and every info for a movie i get into my bot if i could figure out another script to just add the info to my bot would be great to anyone have any suggestions thanks and nice script once again pri

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 03:24:55 pm »
Maybe it would speed up getting help on this >>HERE<< Jenifer, I'm sure Pri knows this script better than any of us

EDIT ... sorry I can t seem to correct the link I posted ... I meant >>HERE<<
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 03:32:29 pm »
I'm sorry the link keeps going wrong ...I don't know why it does n't post what I type ... you ll have to seach where to find the correct category
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Metis Scripts and Help  |  Other Metis scripts  |  IMDB for Metis

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx