gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 15, 2024, 02:30:35 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Blocking in the UK
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Blocking in the UK  (Read 4968 times)

Offline paul99

• Forum Member
Blocking in the UK
« on: February 19, 2007, 10:53:34 pm »
I have recently become aware that the ISP Tiscali in the UK is blocking access to WinMx at peak times. Tiscali is actually owned by a German company, so is not surprising that the blocking occurs after 5pm in the UK (6pm Euro time) and until around 11pm  GMT, weekdays, and from late afternoon to 11pm weekends.
At first I thought it was just heavy traffic on the net that was giving me the "connecting" blinking yellow light on the Network page on WinMx, but I became suspicious when I noticed that every day it was fine and working till pretty much exactly the same time each day, then remained off until after 11pm.
I investigated the Tiscali terms and conditions of  use, and found that they are well aware of P2P usage. They have what is called a fair usage policy, which warns that if a user continually downloads huge amounts on P2P, they will send a warning email, followed by a second warning if no action is taken by the user, and finally they will limit the user's bandwith, or terminate the agreement.
I am a very light user of WinMx indeed. I have certainly had no email warnings. So I can only assume that Tiscali are universally now blocking access to P2P for users in the UK at peak times.
I would be interested to know if any other Tiscali users in the UK have noticed this, or if similar blocking is quietly being done by other ISPs.  And are there any ways round it?

Mike

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Re: Blocking in the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 11:06:04 pm »
Hi Paul,

Yes we are aware of this and here is a thread that might interest you on the subject..

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=4143.0.html

As is mentioned there it is breaking your contract with them to completely block you and as you mention you have had no warning.  Other companies doing this.. only Pipex which was recently noted for its merger with Tiscalli.

A few users have switched ISP already.. one person I know for a fact has gone with BT Business line and are happy campers now once her new router was set up properly WinMX was working fine. 

My advice is to tell them to take thier blocking and breaking of my contract and shove it.. after you call a new ISP of course..
This is not funny at all and its worse then trottling which they had already been doing for months prior to this, in accordence with thier own Fair Use Policy, this new policy of completely blocking your connection to the network .. they have now broken that ..

Offline paul99

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 11:26:58 pm »
Hi - Yes, I read the thread, thanks. Sorry I didn't read it before I posted, but there's a lot of stuff on here and I hadn't found it.
I am not being blocked from internet use, just from using WinMx, and, strangely from sending email with my Gmail pop server. I can receive mail on the smtp gmail, but not send it - between exactly the same times in the evening. I didn't mention that because it isn't relevant to WinMx, but thought I'd mention it now in case others are reading this and thinking  - yeah, me too !

Paul

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 12:29:32 am »
Kewl Paul we are happy for any info.. dont feel bad about not seeing the post i dont mind finding tidbits for folks i just thought you might find it interesting.. regardless of whether its just this p2p or gmail.. or the rest of your internet its no where mentioned in your Fair Use Policy that you will be blocked from using or accessing certain sites or application based on bandwidth usage..

Its definitely a reason to change ISPs and i mention them breaking your agreement because frankly some folks were worried about breaking a contract and getting a new ISP.. you dont have to worry because they have done that for you .. solely the reason i mentioned it.  I hadnt heard about the gmail part and maybe because it wasnt applicable or didnt seem relevant.. however its quite disturbing to me they think you the paying customer should sit back and take the service agreements being broken when it suits them financially.

Offline dabud

• MX Hosts
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 09:41:26 pm »
i cant reach winmx chatroom based in the uk now that i have some info i will know what questions to ask the hosts  thanks very much  seemed odd i could download from euro user but not enter a room [last 2 days]  . if you have any thoughts on this please let me know?!
tyvm 
Machine # 1 - Asus Prime Z390A, i7-9700k 3.6GHz, 32.0 GB ram, openSUSE Leap 15.0 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5.12.8
Machine # 2 - Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16.0 GB ram, opensuse Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5.17.0

Reposangel

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 11:19:08 pm »
I am with Pipex and have been since september everything seemed ok to start with then i noticed my speed was dropping during the day i called them and they said was monitering me because i was heavy user then within no time i was unable to connect to winmx during certain hours i called them again and asked if they was blocking me from using it and they said no i was on fair user policy providing i didnt download between 5pm - 11pm uk time i would come off this policy in weeks time . I did what they told me and i still never got taken off . Sometimes winmx disconnects early as 12pm and i got no chance getting back on until 11pm .
I would call Pipex and tell them where to shove there modem but im contracted so i have to wait until september . WARNING FOR PEOPLE IN THE UK ... DO NOT SIGN UP WITH PIPEX IN MY OPINION WORSE ISP OUT THERE

KM

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 04:43:11 am »
you ave a contract for internet access, they are blocking huge chunks of the internet, they are therefore not providing that access, so they have broken any contract between you

cancel and go to a decent ISP that doesn't censor content, if pipex bitch about it and try and take money from your bank account for claiming some breach of contract point out they broke the contract not you, and if they still go ahead and take the money phone the police ad report the theft immediately, and begin legal action to get it back

an ISP claiming you have to pay them even though they don't provide the service because an unlawful contract says so is just as true as when a bank claims they are allowed to charge you for a check bouncing or a direct debit failing or whatever, they can claim it as much as they want. but at the end of the day they know as well as everyone else they aren't allowed to steal your money and any court will rule against them if it gets that far

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 11:52:22 pm »
well just incase you was thinking of going with aol i can tell you not too. I am currentlyon a restricted service due to using p2p too much, infact 6 slots open for a month solid sharing, not really much in the way dl's, but they sent me a horrible email and have heavily restriceted my service. Aol UK have just been bought out by the carphone warehouse another company heavily into blocking p2p.

So stear away from aol. Im currently in the middle of a war wid them and i am trying to get them to throw me of the service as they are not willing to give me my mac address although im hoping that will be resolved by monday.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 02:15:02 am »
Its now against the law to refuse to issue a mac code Tiny, demand a solid date and then hit the ofcom phoneline and report this so others are warned.

If they refuse to issue one make sure you repeat the request in writing or email and take any replies you have and simply go to trading standards in your local town hall, they will ensure your either dealt with correctly or will bring a case against them.

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 02:21:52 am »
tiny i think you will find legally they have to give you your mac code as in there own terms and conditions they state this

You can still request a MAC code even if you are within your minimum contractual term. However, if you use this MAC code to migrate to another broadband provider whilst you are still within this minimum term, you will be charged the remainder of your monthly payments due under the contract as a one-off lump-sum. This normally occurs on your first billing date after your AOL Broadband connection has been cancelled

and as they are a member of offcom they legally have to let you have a mac code within 5 days or can be reported

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 02:28:15 am »
yup i am aware of this thanks chap's im waiting on a supervisor phoning me on monday morning at 11am to try and resolve my problme's but the wont be to help as my habits will not change, i just got some very ignorant hard of english person on the phone trying to tell me it was spyware blocking my line speed for nearly 30 mins before i told them im not a idiot. I spoke to a supervisor then who emailed me the faq's. 15k dl was quiet a shock and a down right disgrace for them to do that, especially with know warning. But dont worry folks ill sort it out and i will be moving to BT business the last few months with aol in my new house have been no more than a nightmare!

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 04:16:57 am »
Spyware lol
Hope it gets sorted out soon though :|

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

KM

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 08:49:38 am »
i will be moving to BT business the last few months with aol in my new house have been no more than a nightmare!
yeh, might want to talk to a certain female admin first... heh

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 08:05:57 pm »
yup i was reading up about BT, i found another though https://www.bethere.co.uk/

They look interesting enough and their fair usuage policy appears fair lol.

dee_queen_of_reboots

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 11:50:06 pm »
i use ntl world and they are very good in uk

KM

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 12:02:09 am »
it's not ntlworld it's ntl, no it's ntl:telewest, no it's virgin isn't it? oh well by the time you read this post it'll probably be called something else anyway... lol

however they are planning to start blocking p2p shortly - when they start their big marketing thing of how fast their service is they will be blocking you from being able to actually use it at the same time, exactly what sort of p2p throttling they will be using isn't clear yet though

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 04:19:33 pm »
ntl is great if you have cable in youra rea but im affraid i dont, my town is backwards but adsl2 is available just for some reason aol dont do it although i wote staying widtem after the nightmareive had,

Offline Victim

• Forum Member
    • Winmx 4 Eva
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 08:19:26 pm »
Ok, NTL is now Virgin Media..

Virgin Media are very good internet providers. I have been with NTL since for about 2 and a half years.. Then they turned into Virgin Media. I've had a few problems with NTL but once i phoned them up they would come out and sort it. Being as Virgin Media and Sky were released around the same times. They are both competing with each other. So now Virgin Media are offering the basic pack of TV (Around 39 Channels) for free when you have Virgin Media phone for £11.00 or above. So i'd say if your looking for a new ISP choose Virgin Media.. Thats my opinion anyway.

Offline Victim

• Forum Member
    • Winmx 4 Eva
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 08:23:39 pm »
Hmm.. See there going to be blocking P2P soon.

I'm sure sumone will probably make a program or sumthing to undo that. Well hopefully they do.

I guess most ISP's r going to be blocking P2P..

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 08:24:19 pm »
depending on what package though because some you have to be in a cable area as i found out while enquiring
but if you are they do seem to be about the best all round package atm ......time will tell though

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Blocking in the UK

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.01 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx