gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 05, 2024, 08:08:29 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Win98 Winsock failure WinMX terminates
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Win98 Winsock failure WinMX terminates  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
Re: Win98 Winsock failure WinMX terminates
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 05:15:30 am »
Have you run Windows Update & got all the critcal updates & patches? There are now a LOT for win98, it may be that one or other of them might resolve this issue..
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

KM

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 12:17:56 pm »
it is something not related to the patch if disabling the patch didn't fix it, the next thing i would think is somethign else has replaced the ws2_32.dll file in the system directory, however i'm not sure of any program that would do that (as it is extremely bad practice, for the precise reason that it would break things)

first search your hard drive for any files named ws2_32.dll, you should only see the one in the system directory not any others so useful to check for that, then that one in the system directory should show in the file properties as being by microsoft

in theory literally any dll that winmx uses could have been tampered with by a program and cause that problem, but ws2_32.dll is the most likely one to check (if for no reason than the fact that if it isn't that one then there are a lot of places to look in...)

Reidh69

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 03:49:15 pm »
Have you run Windows Update & got all the critcal updates & patches? There are now a LOT for win98, it may be that one or other of them might resolve this issue..

I have done that...
I did it before downloading the latest WinMX+patch...

Reidh69

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 03:51:56 pm »
it is something not related to the patch if disabling the patch didn't fix it, the next thing i would think is somethign else has replaced the ws2_32.dll file in the system directory, however i'm not sure of any program that would do that (as it is extremely bad practice, for the precise reason that it would break things)

first search your hard drive for any files named ws2_32.dll, you should only see the one in the system directory not any others so useful to check for that, then that one in the system directory should show in the file properties as being by microsoft

in theory literally any dll that winmx uses could have been tampered with by a program and cause that problem, but ws2_32.dll is the most likely one to check (if for no reason than the fact that if it isn't that one then there are a lot of places to look in...)

I have one ws2_32.dll dated (5/11/98) in the System folder and one dated (7/9/06) in the Temp folder. 

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 06:44:38 pm »
ws2_32.dll dated (5/11/98)
(7/9/06)

Windows first looks in the same folder for any dll's that any programs might need. If the DLL is not there then windows looks into the system directory for it. So that's why there are two ws2_32.dll's
the 98 one is the microsoft one adn the other one is KM's patch
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

KM

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 09:05:16 pm »
i should hope it's not - as the patch doesn't use that filename :-)

the one in the temporary directory, try renaming it (but should be safe to delete)... although in the temporary directory it shouldn't effect anything not run from the temporary directory

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Win98 Winsock failure WinMX terminates

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx