gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 06:58:37 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Fake Files  |  I think I need help badly
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I think I need help badly  (Read 2458 times)

innerpeace

I think I need help badly
« on: June 15, 2006, 06:52:23 am »
Hi, I have not used WinMx for a while because my isp has been throttling since the around jan. 1st.  I have been trying to kill the msmsgs.exe process on my computer and when I closed my computer management window I recieved and error upon closing 2 out of the 4 times.  It asked to send the error report to microsoft and I did not, but it wanted to send a file with it at the bottom of the pop up error screen.  The file name is C:\DOCUME`1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\fed_appcompat.txt   The fed part kinda made me nervous so I began to look for the file.  Under C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp  I found a file named ~fad052.tmp .  When I right clicked it and looked under version its file version (1.0.0.1) description (cleanup) copyright 2002.  Thats not the interesting part.  Under the company name is (Macrovision Europe Ltd.) original file name (cleanup.exe) and product name is (Macrovision Europe Ltd. Cleanup) its 58.5KB in size.  As you can tell im not a computer genius and I'm a bit paranoid now.  Any advice will be appreciated.  Thank you, innerpeace

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
Re: I think I need help badly
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 07:05:18 am »
If you want to permenantly remove msmgs from ever starting Do as folloes:

Go to start>run. Type msconfig and click ok
A window wil open. Go to the startup tab. Browse the names there. You will see msmgs there. Uncheck the box. Click apply and ok.
Then you wil see a message asking you to restart. Click ok and restart. Problem solved 8)

Personally msmgs is a waste of space. I never use windows messenger. Hotmail or yahoo is good enough. :)

I don't know about the macrovision part. They should not affect you unless you are using winmx. If you want to use winmx, you can change your ISP and use the new patch from www.winmxgroup.com to connect to winmx
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Valor

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:21:04 am »
Cleanup.exe is part of a macrovision product called safecast.SafeCast is a licensing technology for software that can be integrated into a variety of software products. When a particular software product has SafeCast technology built in, "authorized" users will be allowed to run it (or to use a specified set of its features), while "unauthorized" users won't.
It's a copyright protection that was installed ass part o a gameor application that you have installed.Suggest you run an online scan at
http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/run/
If you get rid of the Cleanup.exe, your game/appliation will most likely no longer work.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 09:11:06 am »
See if this solves the problem. If it continues, then you don't have many options.

Then delete cleanup.exe or better still, that whole folder if you want to get rid of the problem. Unlocker is a good program to kill the process that is using a file you want to delete.
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

innerpeace

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 07:46:35 pm »
Thank you both for your replies.  You can imagine my reaction to finding a file with the enemies name in it.  I have a few games installed that would probably have some type of protection.  Lucas Arts and Activisioin may be the culprit.  I have ewido free, NIS 2006, adaware, and spybot installed and run them often, but maybe an online kaspersky scan may be in order.  Thanks again, innerpeace

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Fake Files  |  I think I need help badly

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx