gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 02:05:12 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  What additional features or improvements would you like to see added to WinMX?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What additional features or improvements would you like to see added to WinMX?  (Read 14256 times)

Offline achilles

• Core
I started this thread in hopes that someday someone will further develop the WinMx Client.  This may never happen, but there is always a chance.  WinMx is such a great file sharing client, and would be a huge waste not to continue it's development.   Maybe some day this thread can be used for feedback if someone is able to continue it's development.  So what features or improvements would you like to see added to WinMx?  Mine are below. When i come up with more ideals i will post them.  If you have any ideals then please post them.

1. I would like the ability to share files larger than 2gbs.
2. I would like WinMx to highlight files that i already have completed in my library so i don't download duplicate files.
3. A built in encrypted connection feature.  Like those used in VPN's similar to Xerobank. 

I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
traffic on mx is technically already encrypted... at least all of it but the raw data of the file itself...

id like to see 'sliced' UDP transfers (think ares).. uber strong hashing... ability to disable 'browse'.. and a URI handler..

but the 'what we would like to see in MX' thread has been posted time and time again here lol...

Offline RebelMX

• Core
Well since Quicks is building and has a alpha stage clone of WinMX (according to him in several threads on this forum) I'm sure he would be happy to hear from the community he is helping for features and requests that are thought out and achievable...right Quicks?!? ;)

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
It is funny and sad to see so many wanting new features in a new to build client. I would be pleased if we had at least a client coded with the same capabilities as our current WinMx.That would be a real milestone as very little seem to understand the complexity of this project.
How good the intentions of this thread may be, the discussion has been started over and over many times on this forum and most of us know what we all would like to see added to a new client. It could be seen as another attempt to keep Quicks from building luring him into another chewed out discussion spilling precious time.

If I would be unfriendly which I don't want to be, I would say, shut the F* up and start building :P

Peace

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
'compatible' client first (equal to whats there) ... improved security second ... (always a Good Thingtm) then features added incrimentally to keep compatibility as long as possible while providing a test bed and new platform to ease over to...

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
I had hoped to follow Wonders advice and not have to post here but I have decided do so simply to clear one important point up, we do at this stage have something in hand but its not complete and much work needs to go into it, not all functions winmx currently has are in it and I have at no stage said they are, however good progresss is being made every week and as most of you regulars will have noticed I am focusing on this project almost exclusively, we will have something ready in the future and it will work, these are the only two promises I can give at this time and on a note to that end I have had some excellent assistance from two of the other coders who I wont mention by name at this stage, suffice to say all's going well , the theory of operation is all in hand and thus progress is only limited by coding ability, this of course improves with time and I,m sure when the time is right you will all be happy to see a familiar looking friend that we can then build on from in the future.

My thanks to the 2 coders and to you all for your continued patience.

Offline achilles

• Core
Thanks for all of the replys on this post! Please keep up the creative thinking.  I'm only a tech guy, and not a programmer so please look over my ignorance when it comes to coding.  GhostShip, are you saying you are starting from scratch?  I mean, are you working on an entirely new client?  Is WinMx built from C language?   Is there any possibility of the code being made open source?  I wish i was a programmer so i could contribute to the project.  WinMx is my favorite P2P client.  Its so light on resources you can leave it running 24/7/365 without slowing down your machine. I can help with translation in Italian, and Spanish if you need help with that, but other than that i would probably be of no help.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Before I answer your questions Achilles let me reassure you that all of the folks and regulars on the site are just folks like yourself who have enjoyed WinMX and want to "give" something back if they are able to, and in that respect you may describe yourself as "only a tech guy" but to your friends in the community I,m sure your much more  :-D

The new client is a from scratch build but it is no longer at the planning stage as I told RebelMX some time ago, it is currently being worked on and that will continue until its finished, some folks in the community are being allowed to see the current src and they act both as pre testers and as a secure off-site storage for the code so we wont lose everything if any of the key developers are hit by a flying washing machine  :lol:

The aim of the project is to duplicate as far as possible the look, feel  and functionality of the existing client so that there are no problems or issues with using it in place of the existing client, you,ll appreciate this is not a simple undertaking but with commitment and time it will be delivered, those who can help at this time have already been asked to and a few more are thinking about doing so, when a few more features are operational I,m sure a few screenshots can be released so you can all see whats going on but for now I ask for patience and goodwill, if others wish to have a go at building a client please feel free to go ahead and do so, our project is not in competition with anyone elses and we hope this will be reflected in the time being spend on getting it all not just working but working well enough to bring a smile to all your faces, when extra help is needed rest assured I for one wont be shy in asking for it and I thank you for your kind offer.

Offline achilles

• Core
Ghostship, was the original source code to the original client lost with the developer when WinMx shut down  in 2007?  Seems like i remember reading somewhere on the net that the code was lost.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
The original source code has never been revealed by frontcode so you could say it is lost

Offline mos.def

• Forum Member
Has there ever been a push to get coders outside of the existent WinMX Community involved in this project?
Also, how much money has been put into WinMX since it got shut down and what kind of things has it been spent on?

Thanks.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Money  :lol:

Theres no money being spent here Mos Def, we are all purely volunteers and thats reflected by the fact that there are no advertisements here to pay for the cost of hosting the site, running peer caches and the sundry expenses most support groups generate, everything that goes on here is facilitated by generous volunteers who offer their services and support to fellow WinMx users, there is no money in the pot because we dont have one.

We have made a few announcements in the shape of news articles on other sites over the years to get coders interested in creating a new client but many of the proposed follow up projects have fallen at the same hurdle even before a line of code was written down, what language to write it in ?

It seems a lot of folks want to use any new client on their linux based machines and unfortunately this has made the pool of coders even smaller than it was already, my own approach is to work towards creating a client that can be used as a model or template by other platform coders in terms of the actual nuts and bolts implemetation and hope that they can work some magic using it as a guide, following this road means we dont have assorted development groups all working on the same problems and reinventing the wheel in isolation, I know some good coders but most have no idea how winmx does its magic and those that do know are not great coders, thus the model method is the way ahead I believe.

Offline mos.def

• Forum Member
Let me rephrase this one, how much money have you personally invested in WinMX?

That could be legal advice, websites, hardware, peer caches, associated software.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
I,m not sure and tbh if I did know I likely wouldnt say but like the rest of the staff here I have reached into my pocket over the 5 years we have been here, money does not equate to anything however, folks enjoy WinMX and so do I, cost is irrelevant to both myself and to the others who support the WinMX Community, no one is here to make money from fellow users.

Whats on your mind Mos ?

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
In the years I have been hosting a room among other support for WinMx users, WinMx brought me more than it cost me.
It brought me loads of friends of which I have seen quite a few in real live, not to speak of a rather masive amount of knwledge obout computers, programming, hosting rooms and building websites. I would say it is the real place if you want more than only sharing files.
In my case it is more than 2 years ago I have been downloading files from WinMx, just due to the fact I'm far to busy with the backgroud of WinMx. If you want to know how much mony I have put into WinMx, I don't even want to know.
Keepiing a community alive as we are doing at WinMxWorld is priceless.

Thats my two cents to your question, so you could say it I spent at least two cents :P

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
Search filtering more like the googles have.
AND OR NOT for individual words, complete strings as they are typed between quotes (in that same order) including unicode. I hate when I search for something and get a zillion listings of files that are all in japanese. If I copy chars to attempt to filter that out, WinMX does nothing and they come through anyway. Another related problem in filtering results by the sharers folder names is some of them dont start like this 'C:\Blah\Foo\Filename' they start as '...\Filename' (usually fakes or flooders as far as I can tell, but who knows maybe their on Linux or something). Either way it would be nice to make them go away when desired.
Less interesting but what has been annoying me for years is the way (in the transfers window) that when I use the shift key to select multiple files in the list, it may or may not select the ones I want. Normally it will select some huge amount of files anywhere in the list box according to its mood at that moment. lol. Ive never seen any windows program act like that. WinMX seems to have a mind of its own. If I select 7 files (or sources more accurately) to retry, I want just those 7 to be selected. Not the other 100+ that may be there somewhere in the list box.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
use the Ctrl key to get them then, miners, click on 'em one at a time while holding down Ctrl
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Zénar

• Forum Member
  • Born again christian since 2010!
Hey Quicks, don't forget I'm here :P

If you need help or a programmer that helps you don't understand something, I can always give you my sources of what I did on ZenMX so far or other sources... :yes:

I really wish that this project will succeed for the future of WinMX.

One thing it would be good to add to the todo list is the IPv6 capability. :)
[John 14:6] Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me."
[Jean 14:6] Jésus lui dit: Je suis le chemin, la vérité, et la vie. Nul ne vient au Père que par moi.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
I confess to thinking you where studying full time Zenar, rest assured I will call on you for help sooner rather than later  :lol:

Cheers  :-D

Offline achilles

• Core
Is there a max # of files one can share or is there only a max # that can bee seen when browsing a user?    Which ever the answer may be i would like to see those capabilities enhanced.  Also as i stated in an earlier post; i would like to see the ability to share files larger than 2gbs.  I'm seeing some good feedback here.  Keep it up guys.  Don't be impatient with the coders because their doing all this for free.   It will always be like this unless you have an open source code or have funding to have several good programmers involved. 

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  What additional features or improvements would you like to see added to WinMX?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 27 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx