gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  LimeWire Resurrected By Secret Dev Team
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: LimeWire Resurrected By Secret Dev Team  (Read 1736 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
LimeWire Resurrected By Secret Dev Team
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:08:08 pm »
http://torrentfreak.com/limewire-resurrected-by-secret-dev-team-101108/

Last month, the Gnutella-based file-sharing client LimeWire was effectively outlawed after a U.S. federal judge granted a request from the RIAA to shut the software down. Now, not even a month later, LimeWire is back as good as new. Not only has a secret dev team reanimated the hugely popular client, but they have also made a few significant changes which make it better and more streamlined than before.

yes i know limewire sucks but the LOL factor of this is just.... too much.... how long did the RIAA case last vs limewire coming back? LMFAO

Offline sharing sarah

• Forum Member
  • A Music & Movie Spectrum_F135E44219F6
Re: LimeWire Resurrected By Secret Dev Team
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:34:08 pm »
All I can say is don't give up without a fight  :)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 03:31:16 pm »
I,m suprised that they didnt simply port all of the updates into frostwire as by taking the limewire name anyone distributing it is liable to be served with a court order for contempt of court and copyright infringement, all because they didnt change the name.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 03:35:25 pm »
Good for them! - Fighting to keep what they love.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 03:38:28 pm »
frontcode got a C&D... winmx still runs using the winmx name... ares galaxy also got a C&D ... they F/OSSd the code shut down the main site and yet ares lives on...

whats in a name? its the service... they charged for 'pro' now the rebuilt version has pro turned on all the time... the spyware/adware removed and doesnt cost a thing...

seems what the MAFIAA are going after now is the p2p software makes the author money...

--edit; clarity--

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 04:33:23 pm »
frontcode got a C&D... winmx still runs using the winmx name... ares galaxy also got a C&D ... they F/OSSd the code shut down the main site and yet ares lives on...

whats in a name? its the service... they charged for 'pro' now the rebuilt version has pro turned on all the time... the spyware/adware removed and doesnt cost a thing...

seems what the MAFIAA are going after now is the p2p software makes the author money...

--edit; clarity--

Ares is still quite alive and well:

http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net/

Last updated October 27th.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 06:27:52 am »
Good for them!
Now maybe someone can rewrite the client to run as compiled C code rather than Java?
I tried Limewire before WinMX. Slow as frozen honey, very crashy. Deleted the thing after about two days. Tried an updated version a few years later, no improvement... delete. WinMX alwyas has been and still is better.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 07:58:14 am »
@simba; i know ares is alive in well... full of fakes but it works...

@miners; odd to note but on older hardware using 16bit graphics mode instead of 24 would have made limewire run faster back then... ofc most cards now can do 32bit which works just as well... its an odd java quirk... directdraw needs to have gpu accell for java apps to have a tolerable running speed... ...as far as porting it.. i dunno if that would be possible.. you might want to look into another gnutella app...

Owegiogue

Hi folks Folks
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 03:51:30 pm »
Wassup people, just joined forum.winmxworld.com . Ive spent five hrs searching in the net, right until I have found this discussion board! I think, I will certainly be here for a long time. kool forum.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  LimeWire Resurrected By Secret Dev Team

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx