gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 02:14:15 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Wikileaks founder Julian Assange bailed but release delayed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange bailed but release delayed  (Read 577 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange bailed but release delayed
« on: December 14, 2010, 06:41:01 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11989216

The founder of whistle-blowing website Wikileaks, Julian Assange, has been granted bail in London on conditions including cash guarantees of £240,000.
But he will remain in prison pending an appeal against the bail decision, which has been lodged by Swedish prosecutors.

His lawyer Mark Stephens said the case was turning into a "show trial". Mr Assange is fighting extradition to Sweden, accused of sexually assaulting two women. He denies the charges, and says they are politically motivated.

A large crowd including demonstrators, reporters and a number of Mr Assange's high-profile supporters gathered outside City of Westminster Magistrates' Court for the bail hearing on Tuesday.

He was granted bail on condition he provides a security of £200,000 to the court, with a further £40,000 guaranteed in two sureties of £20,000 each. He must also surrender his passport, obey a curfew at an address in Suffolk, wear an electronic tag and report to a local police station every evening.

Mr Stephens said the court would hear the challenge to the bail decision within the next 48 hours. Speaking outside court, he said: "The Swedes won't abide by the umpire's decision. They want to put Mr Assange through yet more trouble, more expense, more hurdles. "They clearly will not spare any expense but to keep Mr Assange in jail."

'Common sense'

In his first appearance at court last week, Mr Assange was refused bail on the grounds he could flee - despite the offer of sureties from figures including film director Ken Loach.

Mr Assange is accused of having unprotected sex with a woman, identified only as Miss A, when she insisted he use a condom. He is also accused of having unprotected sex with another woman, Miss W, while she was asleep. Mr Assange claims the charges are politically motivated and designed to discredit him.

Following the bail decision, novelist Tariq Ali said: "I'm very pleased that he is out. I think the extradition charges should now be dealt with in the same way.

"His barrister made the same point, that this is not rape under English law and there is absolutely no reason for extradition. "We are delighted he is out and he should never have been locked up in the first place."

Author Yvonne Ridley said: "It is a victory for common sense. If he had been refused bail, it would have meant the court had become a political arena."

People demonstrated in support of Mr Assange outside City of Westminster Magistrates' Court The case is due to return to the court on 11 January.

Earlier on Tuesday, Christine Assange told Australian television station Channel 7 that she had spoken to her son in prison. "I told him how people all over the world, in all sorts of countries, were standing up with placards and screaming out for his freedom and justice and he was very heartened by that," she said. "As a mother, I'm asking the world to stand up for my brave son."

'No access'

Ms Assange also read a statement from him, which she had copied down when he spoke to her from Wandsworth Prison. In it, he defended the actions of Wikileaks, adding: "My convictions are unfaltering."

Mr Stephens said he had not been given any of his post - including legal letters - since being remanded in custody.  "He has absolutely no access to any electronic equipment, no access to the outside world, no access to outside media," he said. The lawyer said the only correspondence his client had received was a note telling him that a copy of Time magazine sent to him had been destroyed because the cover bore his photograph.

Update - Assange has been returned to prison after the Swedish authorities submitted an appeal against his bail.

You have to wonder who is really behind all of this. The original rape case was thrown out by a Swedish court and it was only after a politician got involved that the case was reinstated. The more I follow this case the more I suspect the Swedish legal and political system is being operated like a puppet on strings. The question remains, who holds the strings?  8)

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange bailed but release delayed
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:04:06 pm »
they obviously dont have a Double-Jeopardy law in Sweden...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Wikileaks founder Julian Assange bailed but release delayed

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx