gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 01:00:26 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  AT&T Data Caps Coming – 150GB DSL, 250GB U-Verse
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: AT&T Data Caps Coming – 150GB DSL, 250GB U-Verse  (Read 3907 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
AT&T Data Caps Coming – 150GB DSL, 250GB U-Verse
« on: March 14, 2011, 10:01:35 pm »
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/92811/att-data-caps-coming-150gb-dsl-250gb-u-verse/

Letters to be mailed to customers next week. Those that exceed their allotment during the first month will get a one-time reprieve, but will face overage fees in subsequent months.

AT&T is reportedly going to join the growing list of ISPs with data caps in place. According to GigaOM, it plans to to send out letters to customers next week informing them that DSL subscribers will face a 150GB p/mo cap, and for U-Verse 250GB p/mo.

“Less than 2% of our Internet customers could be impacted by this approach – those who are using a disproportionate amount of bandwidth,” wrote company spokesman Seth Bloom in an email. “We will communicate early and often with these customers so they are well aware of their options before they incur any additional usage charges. Importantly, we are not reducing the speeds, terminating service or limiting available data like some others in the industry.

Customers will get a grace period during the first month, but will face overage fees in subsequent months. Bloom says that customers will be notified when they’ve reached 65%, 90%, and then 100% of their limit. He also added that the average AT&T DSL customer only uses 18GB p/mo.

According to DSLReports, however customers will still be given three warnings over the life of their account before they face overage fees, at which time they’ll have to shell out $10 for every 50GB they exceed their limit.

AT&T first began data cap trials in a few small areas back in November of 2008, but never rolled them out nationwide. Comcast, on the other hand, has had a nationwide 250GB data cap in place since October of that same year. Charter rolled out nationwide data caps a few months later in February of 2009, and recently updated its acceptable use policy to have strict tiered caps of 100GB, 250GB, and 500GB p/mo depending on your subscription package.

Across the pond in the UK, however BT recently scrapped monthly data caps since “atypical” heavy users comprised a mere 0.5% of its customers.

I guess screwing your customers makes more profit than investing in your system.  :gum:

Offline achilles

• Core
Re: AT&T Data Caps Coming – 150GB DSL, 250GB U-Verse
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:22:56 am »
People need to make a stand against such abuses of power.  Everyone that can should just dump AT&T as their ISP, and move on to someone else.  If enough people do it then it will send out a statement to all ISP's that such business practices will mean huge losses in revenue, and possibly leading to the company going broke. 
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:11:01 am »
People need to make a stand against such abuses of power.  Everyone that can should just dump AT&T as their ISP, and move on to someone else.  If enough people do it then it will send out a statement to all ISP's that such business practices will mean huge losses in revenue, and possibly leading to the company going broke. 

in the US you have 2 choices.... DSL or Cable.... dumping AT&T DSL leaves just comcast... or whatever the local cable company is... ...and tbh i dont know of any other DSL companies... at least that havent been absorbed by AT&T....

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 07:25:52 am »
I think what we look over here is the fact that the number of users that make up us as a collective (P2P users), and those that are heavy bandwidth users is only a small percentage of the whole customer base of these companies which is why nothing seems to stop them from implementing these caps.

It's down to lack of investment and greediness on at&t's part. An ISP in the uk announced they would be getting rid of their usage caps because they had invested so well in fiber that there was no more congestion to deem caps necessary.

http://arstechnica.com/telecom/news/2011/03/bt-to-uk-fiber-subscribers-no-more-usage-caps.ars

AT&T just continues to mope around with their billions of dollars in revenue each year and not do a thing. It's ridiculous.

This specific cap in particular isn't too bad for overage fees when you look at mobile data rate overages. But even Comcast has this beat as they don't even charge you for going over, nor do they take any action if you go over the 250 gig cap until you approach the 1TB mark.

Offline Mytheroo

• Forum Member
  • Wanna lick?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:01:22 pm »
the "BT" that are installing fiber are NOT an ISP however.  BTw   or BT wholesale are the company that runs the physical system that includes fiber, BT broadband (the ISP) are buying services from BTw just like any other ISP in the UK.  The good news is that if BT broadband are dropping caps then maybe the fiber product sold to them by BTw has changed terms....and my ISP  Be Broadband can offer fully unlimited FTTC as they wish to...but at present wont do as the BTw terms/pricing on fiber wont let them (fiber isnt unbundled like copper as of yet AFAIK)
There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 02:25:04 pm »
People need to make a stand against such abuses of power.  Everyone that can should just dump AT&T as their ISP, and move on to someone else.  If enough people do it then it will send out a statement to all ISP's that such business practices will mean huge losses in revenue, and possibly leading to the company going broke.  

in the US you have 2 choices.... DSL or Cable.... dumping AT&T DSL leaves just comcast... or whatever the local cable company is... ...and tbh i dont know of any other DSL companies... at least that havent been absorbed by AT&T....

If you are an AT&T customer, and you do have an alternative Broad Band provider to switch to then I would suggest you at least look at what other ISP's have to offer. There is also RoadRunner internet from Time Warner, and Insight which both offer one of the fastest BB packages in the US. I know that Insight offers 30 mbps download, and i believe something like 5 mbps upload. RoadRunner, and insight have no caps i'm aware of at this time.  This is for Home Users!  AT&T doesn't offer anything close to that that I am aware of.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:18:48 am »
@achilles; im on dial ... broadband doesnt reach here...

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 02:49:58 am »
Silver Stripes, that really sucks! I hope they get Broad Band or at least DSL where you are soon!

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:08:07 am »
Silver Stripes, that really sucks! I hope they get Broad Band or at least DSL where you are soon!

problem is, with att adding its caps basically means 'we cover all the areas we are going to cover' ... so DSL is out... that also means that the cable company here has no competition and no desire to improve/extend their service so their 170$/mo price tag will only go up... if it hasnt since last i looked... (thats 170$ for just internet ... 250gig cap... 5$ extra for every gig over that month)...
'net by cell phone company is just as insane... if not moreso... for att its $30 for a data plan + $30 if you want to 'tether' + whatever for your basic plan that you pick... all for a lowly 2gig a month cap... ...and you have to buy your own modem if you want something other than a cheap (in quality) usb dongle... ...an isp called 'clear' would be the closest thing to feasible.. if they had any presence in this state (im not holding my breath)... :/

btw, to put that 2gig cap in some really interesting perspective; if a 56k dial modem with a semi-good connect were left connected and transferring data 24/7 the combined up and download speed would reach a total of ~14gig transferred per month..

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 03:28:34 pm »
If your ISP charges $170 per month for 56k then they should be in prison. It is interesting as you pointed out there is no possible way to reach the 250gb cap on your 56k connection. You can't even get anywhere close to reaching it. If the government should ever step in for abuse then this is one of those times. I hope that if the cure for cancer or aids is ever discovered that  it will not be at the hands of people like this. If there is a hell then they are trying there best  to get there.
problem is, with att adding its caps basically means 'we cover all the areas we are going to cover' ... so DSL is out... that also means that the cable company here has no competition and no desire to improve/extend their service so their 170$/mo price tag will only go up... if it hasnt since last i looked... (thats 170$ for just internet ... 250gig cap... 5$ extra for every gig over that month)...
'net by cell phone company is just as insane... if not moreso... for att its $30 for a data plan + $30 if you want to 'tether' + whatever for your basic plan that you pick... all for a lowly 2gig a month cap... ...and you have to buy your own modem if you want something other than a cheap (in quality) usb dongle... ...an isp called 'clear' would be the closest thing to feasible.. if they had any presence in this state (im not holding my breath)... :/

btw, to put that 2gig cap in some really interesting perspective; if a 56k dial modem with a semi-good connect were left connected and transferring data 24/7 the combined up and download speed would reach a total of ~14gig transferred per month..

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 09:20:13 pm »
tip; use notepad (win) or pico/nano (linux) to write what you want to say then copypasta into the reply box... edit the ubb codes then preview it.... click post if its right... (dialup forum trick)

also usb mouse on that laptop till you get the builtin sorted out will save some frustrations too... (arent useless 'features' fun?) will let you surf/google for the solution without having to fight to scroll to get to it...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  AT&T Data Caps Coming – 150GB DSL, 250GB U-Verse

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx