gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 12:12:18 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Strange search results
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Strange search results  (Read 9593 times)

Offline bruce007

• Forum Member
Strange search results
« on: May 14, 2011, 06:16:21 am »
Hello all,

I have used WinMX for many years, but recently the search results have looked like the attached image. I removed and re-installed WinMX, but it is still happening. Does anybody know what is going on, and more importantly, how to fix it?

As you can see, I was searching for "My Favorite Martian" videos, and look at the search results.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

h t t p://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/Bruce007/WinMx-1.jpg

Apparantly I cannot post links, but what the search results look like are a bunch of unintelligible letters that make no sense, squares, brackets, exclamation points, and other "letters" that make no sense. That is all that shows up, the item I am searching for is not to be found.

Help!!

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Strange search results
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:06:55 am »
https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=10932.0.html  <--- lookie

btw, those are japanese characters being shown in a non-japanese font...

Offline sharing sarah

• Forum Member
  • A Music & Movie Spectrum_F135E44219F6

Offline utnapistim

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 04:33:26 pm »
Hi,
having the same problem. What I found out is, that the search for "alternative" files works still fine - although result are not that much as usual.

New search or search for similar files is corrupt. The fact is that it are always complete "results" from one user, like the the "browse"-feature. The results are "real" files as they are what they are called and they are downloadable.

So, for those that have selected rather large numbers of files, do not have much problems - till their "vault" is empty.

iDoodle

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 05:06:23 pm »
Speaking of strange search results, everytime I search for an mp3, I get (hundreds of)  results that have nothing to do with what I'm searching for, with the same jibberish characters mentioned above...like I'm being flooded with files.  Jeeze, I just wanted to download one little weird al song...:(

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:03:51 pm »
Welcome to WinMx World Utnapistim, and IDoodle.  You are experiencing the same problem that all users are experiencing. The entire network is being attacked.  Read this thread, and tutorial. 
https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=10932.0.html   
https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/wpn_attack_information_.html
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

idoodle

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 05:37:15 pm »
Thank you Achilles, and apologies for seeming so ignorant on the issue.  I will read the threads you posted.  Appreciate the help.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 07:07:51 pm »
No problem Idoodle! You definitely not ignorant! You was just uninformed like many many other user's out there that we hope to get the word out to about the events unfolding.  
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline oldman

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »
im a long time lurker, been on winmx since version 02.6. this is the first time ive bothered to register to post a comment (i dont register to sites out of principle)
just wanted to say you guys are doing a helluva a job, and we all apreciate what you are doing to keep the system running.
just wanted you know im still on winmx and will be as long as it is up and running. im totally computer illiterate but  do have a fast primary connection, if theres anything i can do to help (?) let me know
oldman

Offline Mad_hatter

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 10:33:33 pm »
we have notice the search feature isn't working, but still works well, while browsin' my neighbors in the chat room

Offline Mad_hatter

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 04:28:58 pm »
update,chicago< got back room addresses two hours ago, but search feature still kaput

idoodle

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 05:56:37 pm »
What Oldman said for sure...thanks to all of you that are working on this.  If I knew the first thing about coding, how peer-to-peer works exactly, or anything that would be helpful...I would be on the front lines with you. 

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 07:36:33 pm »
In this battle the networks users are the ones on the front line, they are the ones taking the casualties and facing off the attacks by sheer persistence of will .

They do this because they know winmx is old but faithful and have the confidence that they have fought and won many times before by standing united, I,m very proud of all those who come here to show both support and offer aid to their fellow users around the globe in this hour of struggle, my respect and thanks go to all who hold firm against attacking bullies and cowards, we face them as one  8)

Offline oldman

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 03:22:44 am »
just checking in to see if you've determined if it is a virus/worm  from users or an attack on the protocol itself (please excuse any spelling, its late and im a little drunk)
is there anything users can do to mitigate/ lessen the attack?

on a side note, ive noticed an uptick in leechers (no files / no upload lines) and a lot of these disconnect when i do a whois ( i do whois from everyone dl from me)
don't know if there is a connection, but thought i d throw it out

keep up the good work, we are all rooting for you

ps ive seen some of the posts in the news section,

BACK OFF FOLKS, we dont want this to turn into another pissing contest  like the patch wars, ok?

oldman

Offline oldman

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 03:41:48 am »
ps to ghostship
you ve been around forever,
you never loose your cool , always seem to have the right  answer, and manage to keep the more rambuncuious elements  (politely)  in check
we are all in your debt, please stick around  a lot longer
oldman

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 05:47:35 am »
its not a virus or worm... noones been infected (yet?) ... its a flaw in the winmx protocol thats being abused....

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Strange search results

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx