gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 06:47:07 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Other Software  |  WinMX Chat Room List Api
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WinMX Chat Room List Api  (Read 31046 times)

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
WinMX Chat Room List Api
« on: July 07, 2011, 04:07:00 am »
This has been available for a while now and I think someone in another thread used it for a metis script. But I have added support for json and xml outputs as well now.

Information is available here: http://winmxunlimited.net/tools/apis/room-list-api/

:-)

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
Re: WinMX Chat Room List Api
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:33:56 am »
Your new layout looks great Josh ;)

But I'm wondering why the "old" link seems to do exactly the same as the "xml" link, what's the point of having both links this way?
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 06:40:00 am »
Oooh and BTW I love the statistics pages (even if I have a feeling some searches are being filtered from the results?? :D )
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:07:18 pm »
Thanks. To see the XML code in a browser you need to view the page source. If you view the page source on the old(winmx) version you will see its format as well.

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:13:36 am »
Okay. I have fixed that bug Joshua. You should see the difference now when you view the page sources lol.

I have also updated the network statistics api to output json and xml as well.

http://winmxunlimited.net/tools/apis/network-stats-api/

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 11:21:41 am »
I thought i was loosing my sanity  :crazy: .. anyway looks fine now and even renaming "old" to "winmx format" was a good idea :yes:

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 05:46:44 am »
Personally, I wonder why when rooms join Joshes little website they somehow automagically are immune to the attacks. Josh == GOD? or Josh == attacker. I bet on the later.

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 07:25:31 am »
Personally, I wonder why when rooms join Joshes little website they somehow automagically are immune to the attacks. Josh == GOD? or Josh == attacker. I bet on the later.

Have you actually even read the official WinMXWorld attack information page located here: https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/wpn_attack_information_.html?

Let me quote one of the main bullet points:

6) If you operate a chat room using a third party server you may find its becoming unstable and dropping users as well as eating up enormous amounts of bandwidth, this is due to the large amount of malicious traffic crossing the primary network. The solution we ask you all to undertake is to unlist your chat rooms so that they do not appear on the WPN list, this will stop them being affected.
There are two third party sites that hold room lists that you can ask to publicly list your room on so it can be listed there and not on the WPN, by doing this you should have no further problems with any of the network attacks and it may well even inconvenience the spammers as they likely will not have your room address to hand.

Notice the bold text? If a chat room host sets their chat server to offline mode it's quite obvious to even a complete moron that their chat server and in retrospect, their connection would then be unaffected by the attacks as none of the wpn traffic is getting to them.

The way my chat room listing service works, a user can add their own chat room so that it always shows on the web room list (inserting right into the room list database). It also will physically list those chat rooms on the actual wpn. These rooms appear with [WinMXUnlimited.net] at the beginning of their topics. The reason we can list these rooms while the attacks are going on is because this is done by an actual server with a large connection pipe instead of some home user trying to take on all the traffic themselves with their subpar upstream speeds.

Please actually read and understand what you are talking about before trying to make such slanderous and completely false claims in the future. It certainly makes you look like an idiot, and trying to purposely sabotage someone who is providing a vital and helpful tool to the winmx community for free is very selfish of you.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 07:47:39 am »
Notice the bold text? If a chat room host sets their chat server to offline mode it's quite obvious to even a complete moron that their chat server and in retrospect, their connection would then be unaffected by the attacks as none of the wpn traffic is getting to them.

Anytime a port is open to a room it is still subject to attack. It doesnt matter if you set it as 'disconnected'. That is why I was getting flooded by the same 5 ips constantly even though it was 'disconnected' and most could not enter the room even though they had the correct hash. And no they didnt lose interest. As soon as the attacks stopped, the users came right back again.
Now that the attacks have stopped, the strange connection attempts have also stopped when I 'disconnect' it.

The way my chat room listing service works, a user can add their own chat room so that it always shows on the web room list (inserting right into the room list database). It also will physically list those chat rooms on the actual wpn. These rooms appear with [WinMXUnlimited.net] at the beginning of their topics. The reason we can list these rooms while the attacks are going on is because this is done by an actual server with a large connection pipe instead of some home user trying to take on all the traffic themselves with their subpar upstream speeds.

So the cure to the attacks is to flood the system faster than the attackers are flooding it? That also floods everyone else as well. All those packets have to travel over primaries one way or the other. Trying to overwhelm the network with your own traffic is not helping things.

Please actually read and understand what you are talking about before trying to make such slanderous and completely false claims in the future. It certainly makes you look like an idiot, and trying to purposely sabotage someone who is providing a vital and helpful tool to the winmx community for free is very selfish of you.

I didnt make any claims, just a theory. Your command of the english language is very impressive...
'Idiot', 'Moron'   you are sounding like a real professional Josh.

:S

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:08:35 am »
I think many hosts, myself included, appreciate that josh is trying to help. For some of us that are hosting and are on bandwidth caps this enables us a way to be able to host our rooms. So i say thanks to josh for providing us with this avenue. :)

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 07:15:54 pm »
Anytime a port is open to a room it is still subject to attack. It doesnt matter if you set it as 'disconnected'. That is why I was getting flooded by the same 5 ips constantly even though it was 'disconnected' and most could not enter the room even though they had the correct hash. And no they didnt lose interest. As soon as the attacks stopped, the users came right back again.
Now that the attacks have stopped, the strange connection attempts have also stopped when I 'disconnect' it.

You seem to be mixing up the actual attack on the winmx network with personal vendettas against yourself. When a chat server is in offline mode, it is not receiving any internal network tcp packets at all. Therefor it is not going to be trying to respond to chat room listing requests with your connection. The network attacks have nothing to do with individuals trying to join flood your chat room or whatever else they do.

So the cure to the attacks is to flood the system faster than the attackers are flooding it? That also floods everyone else as well. All those packets have to travel over primaries one way or the other. Trying to overwhelm the network with your own traffic is not helping things.

Again your lack of understanding of how the network operates is hindering you from seeing the truth. Chat room listings are sent directly to the person who requests them. They do not travel through the primary tcp network. Only the packets that request the room lists do. But since there are tens of thousands being sent out every minute, chat servers on home connections are not able to respond to all of the requests in a timely manner so their room does not show up on the majority of people's room list.

My service has enough bandwidth to keep up with the requests and allows people to list their rooms of they so wish to do so.

I hope that clears this up. :)

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 07:47:42 pm »
Actually, to clarify, the room listings are sent across the primary protocol.  Requests are made from secondary to primary, then across the network to all the primaries, who then respond if they are chat servers, back across the primary network to the original primary.

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 07:53:56 pm »
...who then respond if they are chat servers, back across the primary network to the original primary.

No that is nothing how it works. The primary udp packets (the room information packets) are not sent through the network.  They are sent directly (that's why it's udp) to the person requesting the list (the primary specified in the tcp packet header). The ONLY part of it that is sent to every primary on the network is the request for the list itself.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 06:09:26 am »
Actually there are no personal vendettas against myself. The microsecond the network wide attacks stopped, so did those 5 strange ips requests on WCS while disconnected.
I must admit though I guess it is possible that your service can send a list at warp 20, overwhelming fake traffic to a single request for a list of rooms. Still that would require being connected at screaming speeds as a winmx primary yes? Even so, I see no way that a big fat pipe is going to do that without flooding as a side effect. During an attack, a primary floods with false traffic. Any primary. The faster the connection to the primary, the better it floods. Unless you know how to single handedly block any flood traffic thru your primary (unlike anyone else on winmx), or you have written a special application that can see requests for a listing and then transmit that data quickly outside of being a real primary. Also unlikely since basically nobody except Kevin himself fully understands the primary side of things. Side effects can happen, dont assume you are correct in every way.

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 06:47:13 am »
Actually there are no personal vendettas against myself. The microsecond the network wide attacks stopped, so did those 5 strange ips requests on WCS while disconnected.
I must admit though I guess it is possible that your service can send a list at warp 20, overwhelming fake traffic to a single request for a list of rooms. Still that would require being connected at screaming speeds as a winmx primary yes? Even so, I see no way that a big fat pipe is going to do that without flooding as a side effect. During an attack, a primary floods with false traffic. Any primary. The faster the connection to the primary, the better it floods. Unless you know how to single handedly block any flood traffic thru your primary (unlike anyone else on winmx), or you have written a special application that can see requests for a listing and then transmit that data quickly outside of being a real primary. Also unlikely since basically nobody except Kevin himself fully understands the primary side of things. Side effects can happen, dont assume you are correct in every way.

Again you are getting your facts mixed up and seem to lack an understanding of how the network operates.

First off you need to realize that the primary tcp packets are the only actual network we are talking about here are the internal tcp packets sent and distributed to every primary. Those packets are the requests that trigger the direct respondes (udp packets) whether they are for search results or a room list. The room listing service is only listening to the primary tcp network, and when it sees a room list request, it sends those room entries directly to the primary ip address that is on the packet header in that requesting packet. It does not send anything through the winmx network. It is sent DIRECTLY to the primary requesting it. So there is no acceleration of flooding nor is there any additional traffic being sent through the network. There are only responses to primaries requesting a room list. If there are fake room list requests with fake requesting primary ips those are also being responded to, but since we use a fast connection we are able to keep up with the large number of requests which a home connection simply cannot do.

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 06:59:30 am »
It is also worth explaining how exactly the attacks are effecting the room listings as this seems to be the root of the confusion going on here. As a primary requesting a room list, you are not receiving a flood of fake packets when requesting a room list as it seems you think is happening. What is happening is that there are an influx of fake room list request packets (tcp), hundreds and even thousands per minute compared to just a couple dozen when there are no attacks. Due to the large number of packets, and the way WinMX throttles internal WPN traffic, your room list request is having to wait in line behind the thousands of other fake room list requests before it is being circulated completely on the network for all the chat servers to see. That combined with chat servers having to send their chat room information DIRECTLY to the ip address of the primary requesting the room list in the request packet means that a room hosts upstream connection is being maxed out from having to respond to thousands of fake requests, and by the time your request gets to the front of the line and a response is sent out, it is simply too late to get there in time.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 04:38:01 am »
Guys, tempers, please...
also:
Moron: An entity that does exactly as told, nothing more, nothing less, and does not think for him/her/itself
A computer is a VFM (Very Fast Moron)
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 05:40:35 am »
Guys, tempers, please...
also:
Moron: An entity that does exactly as told, nothing more, nothing less, and does not think for him/her/itself
A computer is a VFM (Very Fast Moron)

Why exactly would you reply to a topic exactly one month after the last post was made? I would assume you would get the hint that we were both over the issue as no further replies were made from either of us...

I already have explained how the service works, and how the network actually works and pointed out where he was wrong and why. He was unwilling to listen, case closed.

The service is still working, and anyone is allowed to use it if they so choose to do so.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 12:15:59 am »
Duhhhhhhhhhhh, because I was reading it when i did, and made my post when i did?

Unlike some, i work a job that keeps me rather busy and i read and reply when i can, i am not at the keyboard 24/7 like some...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 02:03:49 am »
@bluey; please show some maturity..... would be nice to see it from the 'forum supervisors' ....

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Other Software  |  WinMX Chat Room List Api

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 27 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx