gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 01:52:39 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  MegaUpload Shut Down by the Feds, Founder Arrested
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: MegaUpload Shut Down by the Feds, Founder Arrested  (Read 4021 times)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
MegaUpload Shut Down by the Feds, Founder Arrested
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:45:18 am »
MegaUpload, one of the largest file-sharing sites on the Internet, has been shut down by federal prosecutors in Virginia. The site’s founder Kim Dotcom and three others were arrested by the police in New Zealand at the request of US authorities. MegaVideo, the streaming site belonging to same company, and a total of 18 domains connected to the Mega company were seized and datacenters in three countries raided.
Read the full article on Torrentfreak.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: MegaUpload Shut Down by the Feds, Founder Arrested
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 02:13:40 am »
...just how mad are the mpaa/riaa trying to make 'the internet'?

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 02:43:39 am »
I think they have seen Terminator too many times and they think the internet is skynet.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 03:10:23 am »
I think they have seen Terminator too many times and they think the internet is skynet.

i dont know if this is classified as irony or not but the terminator movies were made by companies that are under the mpaa banner...

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 06:12:08 pm »
If the feds can shut down Megaupload, why do we need SOPA?

Supporters of the Stop Online Piracy Act say it's needed to combat "rogue sites." Yet Megaupload got shut down under existing laws. Does the Megaupload raid prove SOPA is unnecessary, or not?

Judge Delays Megaupload Bail Decision, More Site Operators Arrested

In a New Zealand court today, a judge delayed the decision to grant or deny bail to Kim Dotcom, the larger than life founder of Megaupload.com. The prosecutor said that since multi-millionaire Dotcom had multiple identities, four dozen credit cards and a history of “fleeing criminal charges” he represented a flight risk “on the extreme end of the scale”. In the meantime, two other site operators were arrested in Europe.

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 01:39:52 pm »
Dotcom's co-accused granted bail
Two men connected to German millionaire Kim Dotcom have been granted bail.

Judge David McNaughton delivered his decision at the North Shore District Court today.

He granted Finn Batato and Bram van der Kolk bail. However, the judge said more submissions would need to be made on behalf of the third man, Mathias Ortmann.

It could be a week until the pair are released because the police need to check the bail addresses.

The pair have been banned from using or owning any device capable of connecting to the internet.
Two MegaUpload Ops Bailed, But Government Wants Surveillance

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 08:49:58 pm »
Pirate Party of Catalonia wants to sue FBI, in Spain, over Megaupload seizure
The Pirate Party of Catalonia is leading an effort to sue the FBI for damages to the privacy of legitimate Megaupload customers.

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 06:07:28 pm »
Feds: Megaupload user files may be deleted starting Thursday
Cogent Communications and Carpathia, Megaupload's two US hosting providers, have been cleared by the US Attorney's Office to begin deleting Megaupload user files on Thursday.
MegaUpload User Data Soon to be Destroyed

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 07:12:56 pm »
Megaupload Founder Accuses Police of Assault, Denied Bail Again
Following a hearing today at the High Court in New Zealand, Kim Dotcom was again denied bail. The Megaupload founder, who authorities insist will likely flee should he be released, told the court that he’d been kicked and punched by police during his arrest. Dotcom added that during his time in prison he had been approached not only by women wanting to be his friend, but by an expert document forger.

Today, Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom appeared at New Zealand’s High Court to continue his fight against extradition to the United States on copyright infringement, racketeering and money laundering charges.

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 06:20:18 pm »
Elite Anti-Terror Police Went After Megaupload’s Kim Dotcom
While last month’s shutdown of Megaupload has been well documented, the finer details of the raid on Kim Dotcom’s mansion have only just been revealed. A new and astonishing report features a house tour and in-depth discussion with Dotcom’s bodyguard. He was confronted by dozens of armed police, some from New Zealand’s elite anti-terrorist force, who also demanded of a nanny: “Do you have any bombs?!”

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 11:32:11 pm »
Bombs wtf?? They thought they was raiding Josh's house :-D but seriously he is a geek, what was they expecting an underground lair
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 11:48:42 pm »
The real reason they attack private residencies with automatic assault rifles it to aid their pretence that the "victim" of their armed incursions is some dangerous criminal and thus they seek to justify what is in reality an over the top and dangerous attack that placed children at risk as well as failing totally to acheive the suprise element they claimed was necessary.

We have heard already how the US feds used "judicial malware" to intrude onto this guys machine so the real defence is if anything is found on his personal machine he has a great method of deniability as the feds could have placed it there themselves  :lol:

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
  • Holder of the benign issue!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 02:41:05 am »
Most of this (all?  good question...) can be tied to $$$ power.  Legislation is hammer, the interwebs (content) the anvil.  We are the metal to be formed and in many cases, beaten or broken into submission.  (Law)enforcement is the force by which these things are accomplished.  Repetative striking gets the job done.  SOPA, while I've not read it, would be a further overreach.  It's sadly not surprising that overreach begets overreach.

I have to be the first to admit that I know nothing of megaupload.  Was this site actually hosting content or was it specifically a tracker site?  ...and what the hell is "judicial malware"?  Sounds like legalized hacking...

We recently had an instance in my area were a SWAT team was misutilized.  The tactics used were poor in choice and without getting into the training aspect of it, the end result was 1 dead officer and the rest injured. (What really happened was panic....)  I can't imagine that the policies created by the humans around the world would differ too much, so I don't really expect the misuse and poor judgement to change.  As far as an elite task force is concerned, they probably get the tap to do varying types of work.  It's pretty much standard procedure:  Use the tools that we spend all the money on.  I don't personally believe that those in charge of "elite" teams give a shit.  I believe they're pretty much out to make a name for themselves.  It certainly was the case here as the guy in charge had just filled his seat a couple of weeks previously.  I'll hope he filled his seat when he realized he got someone killed and a bunch of other people injured.

Only when enough people are injured/killed will those in charge realize that they don't know jack(though they won't admit it...) and be forced to change "tactics".

Sadly, also in my area, a guy named Josh Powell killed his kids and blew up his home.  Worldwide news is it?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 03:40:05 am »
For "judicial malware" see this article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_and_Internet_Protocol_Address_Verifier

I read a report that this tool was employed in the days or weeks before the raid and thus it would have been even more clearer to those carrying guns into a nursery that there was likely to be zero resistance, let alone bombs carried by rogue Filipino jihadists  nursery staff :/

On another note I feel sad to hear that folks are killing their children and incinerating themselves for want of being able to figure out a way out of their predicaments and reading through the case perhaps there was no way out for Josh powell , however it was wrong of him to take the children's lives, they are after all sentient entities young though they where and not the chattels of their father. A sad and sorry waste  :(

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 05:07:46 am »
CIPAV.  Color me not shocked.  Thanks for the link.  Even though I've been away from the net minus online gaming for some time now, I'm not shocked.  The 'tin hatter' in me knows the government does this.  'Le sigh....

I'd be willing to bet that the usage of the word 'weeks' as used by said article was open to interpretation.  The guys that actually went in armed?  That's all just really part of the job.  Standard operating procedure.  Smart operators go in armed every time.  Smart operations planners find ways to minimize the risks involved for the people who actually have to do the job.  Like not using an elite force who's armed to the teeth in situations that don't require it.  The dopes that planned this and the dope(s) that authorized it need to be mentally evaluated if all they wanted to do was 'play army' though.  The greater the risk you impose, the greater the risk you incur.

My very first thought upon finding out that Josh Powell ended his life was "Coward!!!!!!!!!".  Once I got the news that key murdered his children and then blew himself up, I wanted to revive his corpse, kill him, revive his corpse, kill him, revive his.....uh, yeah.   :hurt:

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 10:44:47 am »
Interesting, where abouts do you live Hooked? Because I'm in Olympia at the moment.

And I still can't believe that guy would do that to his own kids. If he was that messed up he should of just taken his own life, there was no reason to take two young kids who had their lives ahead of them. And I can't imagine what the case worker that was going to be there for the supervised visit must be going through. He slammed the door shut on her, she went back to her car to call the cops, and then the house blew up. And that is after he attempted to chop the two boys up with a hatchet.

There are just some really sick and twisted people on this planet... it's really sad.

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 03:16:40 am »
Interesting, where abouts do you live Hooked? Because I'm in Olympia at the moment.

I'm living in Salt Lake City, Utah.   

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 09:55:25 pm »
More charges for Megaupload in US case
US prosecutors have added wire fraud and additional criminal copyright infringement counts to their case against file-sharing site Megaupload.
megaupload-indictment.pdf

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  MegaUpload Shut Down by the Feds, Founder Arrested

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx