gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 10:43:38 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  A hypothetical situation...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A hypothetical situation...  (Read 3659 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
A hypothetical situation...
« on: January 20, 2012, 03:01:05 am »
The year is 2012 the month is October and you are a US citizen... SOPA(or something just as bad) has passed... the english wikipedia had to leave the US to continue operation... many of the sites you often went to have been shut down or otherwise rendered inaccesable... what do you do?

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
Re: A hypothetical situation...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 05:59:01 pm »
I would look at alternative DNS systems like the pirate bay boys where playing with. I've forgot what it was called and I would turn all my .com & .net domains to blank pages or have links or walkthrews for installing new DNS addresses and set up new domains with the new system, I would also probably drop to lower package if that didn't work with the internet only being used for coursework. My phone would probably suffice for that though so yeah possible disconnection. Sorry I'm abit of all of them ;-)
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:47:42 pm »
being on dial id just cancel... already have slow 'net ... a slow net that doesnt go anywhere would be pointless...

...wonder how many of the smaller isps would go out of business (sopa ment to save jobs... hah!)

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:49:12 pm »
DNS loop holes will always exist.... I would change to satelite internet connection to be able to connect other places in the world. I have a feeling this would become quite popular in the United States.
For instance VSAT offers coverage in Africa, Europe, Middle East, Americas, & Asia. There will be ways to get out there.

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 11:12:15 pm »
@CE; we could always make our own backbone: http://ronja.twibright.com/ --- or if those started becoming the subject of 'takedowns' we could p2p via snail mail: http://ronja.twibright.com:8080/optar/  ;)

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 02:12:05 am »
@CE; we could always make our own backbone: http://ronja.twibright.com/ --- or if those started becoming the subject of 'takedowns' we could p2p via snail mail: http://ronja.twibright.com:8080/optar/  ;)

Sure! If we could just figure out how to bounce that 10Mbps optical lens off a low flying satellite or using canopy tall towers or something....Lol
What I do know is if the government plans to regulate the web, geeks will crawl out of the wood work to build new networks of under ground sites.....(Which already exist if you know where to look).....Stuff like the old bulletin boards will pop back up with lists of IP addresses with little descriptions of what they offer. 

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 06:38:58 am »
I dont believe SOPA can take down a truly decentralized network.  The only thing is we need a new client before something like SOPA is passed so the client can be distributed to all the users. Access to the site could easily be blocked to American users if SOPA became law. 
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  A hypothetical situation...

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx