gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 03:12:07 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Cyber bill to put US in charge of global cyber security
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cyber bill to put US in charge of global cyber security  (Read 1575 times)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
Cyber bill to put US in charge of global cyber security
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:10:37 pm »
In the wake of the SOPA outcry, another controversial bill that puts the US in charge of global cyber dealings is simmering.

While industry and public uproar has stalled the controversial online anti-piracy bills known as SOPA and PIPA, American legislators are maintaining an aggressive stance on cybercrime, preparing to vote on a new bill that, if passed, will force other countries to play by US rules.

The bill - International Cybercrime Reporting and Cooperation Act - is likely to go to a vote in the next few months. It will place the United States at the forefront of the battle against international internet-driven crime by threatening economic sanctions on countries that allow cyber attacks to originate on their soil.

"The issue of cyber security is so vital right now to US national security and to the United States economy," said Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a co-sponsor of the proposed bill.

It follows a change of heart from legislators on the earlier Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and its cousin, the Protect International Property Act (PIPA), whose opposers say go too far in giving US law makers the power to bring down websites, effectively censoring the internet.

The bill, 18 months in the making, will establish international protocols on the issues surrounding cybercrime, allow the US government to name and shame lax governments, and establish a framework for economic sanctions on uncooperative governments.

"Right now, there is no protocol," Gillibrand said. "There is no way to call the Russian government and say 'You've got five guys sitting in a room over there who keep attacking our stock exchange – what are you going to do about that?'

"We want to give incentives for countries that need our help, for countries that don't have a way to prosecute cyber crime, or to investigate these cases."

Speaking before an audience of law enforcement officials, industry insiders and academics in New York City recently, Gillibrand said a personal fear was for a talented hacker to sell his skills to terrorist groups.

"If countries that are players in this issue don't participate or don't actually try to enforce laws against cyber criminals we could have sanctions in terms of multilateral banking finance or we could have sanctions that would limit or suspend preferential trade programs. We could also suspend, restrict, or withdraw foreign assistance."

Unsurprisingly, law enforcement officials have welcomed the bill. FBI Special Agent Mary Galagin, head of the agency's Cyber/Special Operations Division, believes technology is in danger of outrunning the legal framework applying to her office.

"If we continue to increase the technology in the United States but legislation does not increase, then law enforcement will get to a point where we will go dark," Galagin said. "We cannot get the information we need to stop a terrorist attack, espionage, criminal attacks.

"You can do a lot more harm to our country right now with a computer than you can with a lot of other weapons. It is kind of like the Pirates of the Caribbean out there. There are pirate ships. There is lots of gold. People are going for it."

While terrorism and espionage is one focus, companies including Facebook and MasterCard support the bill in the face of an added twist – their interest in protecting private customer data from compromise.

Chris Sonderby, Facebook's Associate General Counsel who oversees the company's global law enforcement relations, believes it's in the interest of private companies to partner with law enforcement agencies to protect customers as much as themselves.

"People demand a level of security," said Sonderby, whose company holds data on over 800 million active users.

"Those companies that don't protect information are those that people are going to be uncomfortable sharing with or they're not going to use.

"There are powerful market incentives to make sure that companies you entrust information to have taken adequate steps to protect that data."

That's a similar philosophy Senator Gillibrand is hoping US lawmakers can apply internationally in the next few months, after the US took the unprecedented step of naming Russia and China as a safe havens for criminal activity in the internet.

"We have to elevate the issue," she said. "This bill won't dictate what laws Russia should enforce. It just asks Russia to care."
smh.com.au

Online White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Cyber bill to put US in charge of global cyber security
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:38:08 am »
"This bill won't dictate what laws Russia should enforce. It just asks Russia to care."

* Silver Stripes cries

someone make the 'stupid' stop plz :(

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 04:21:14 pm »
Chris Sonderby, Facebook's Associate General Counsel who oversees the company's global law enforcement relations, believes it's in the interest of private companies to partner with law enforcement agencies to protect customers as much as themselves.

"People demand a level of security," said Sonderby, whose company holds data on over 800 million active users.

Huh?
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:54:49 pm »
America wonders why other nations populations show liitle respect to it's views. The sheer arrogance that America believes it has the right to control all aspects of the internet is yet another reason why.

Offline DiK420

• MX Hosts
  • God rides a Harley!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:57:26 am »
America already thinks it's the world police force anyway.. but how will being cyber-police allow them to snatch more oil reserves? :bow:
Sun Come Up, Sun go down... where de hassle in dat mon? B-)

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
  • Holder of the benign issue!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:12:08 pm »
...... American legislators are maintaining an aggressive stance on cybercrime, preparing to vote on a new bill that, if passed, will force other countries to play by US rules.

AND

The bill - International Cybercrime Reporting and Cooperation Act - is likely to go to a vote in the next few months. It will place the United States at the forefront of the battle against international internet-driven crime by threatening economic sanctions on countries that allow cyber attacks to originate on their soil.

'Ya know, it's one thing to protect yourself...but another thing to try and force others to protect you.  I hope this bill fails.  I'm really starting to like Ron Paul.  Sadly most people are sheep.  We're gonna get to vote for (most likely) either Obama or Mitt Romney....  bleh on both accounts.

As far as policing the world goes...I'm really tired of it.  I actually have to pay taxes to those dumb fuckers in my government that think it's okay to tell other nations how to run their governments.  In short, my money is telling other countries how to run themselves....  Personally, I think we ought to be solving our own issues and let other countries solve there own.

Official bill text:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s3155/text

Online White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 03:30:14 am »
American legislators are maintaining an aggressive stance on cybercrime, preparing to vote on a new bill that, if passed, will force other countries to play by US rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

Stuxnet is a computer worm discovered in June 2010. It initially spreads via Microsoft Windows, and targets Siemens industrial software and equipment. While it is not the first time that hackers have targeted industrial systems,[1] it is the first discovered malware that spies on and subverts industrial systems,[2] and the first to include a programmable logic controller (PLC) rootkit.[3][4]

Different variants of Stuxnet targeted five Iranian organizations,[9] with the probable target widely suspected to be uranium enrichment infrastructure in Iran;[10][11][8] Symantec noted in August 2010 that 60% of the infected computers worldwide were in Iran.[12] Siemens stated on 29 November that the worm has not caused any damage to its customers,[13] but the Iran nuclear program, which uses embargoed Siemens equipment procured clandestinely, has been damaged by Stuxnet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_1737

The resolution, sponsored by France, Germany and the United Kingdom,[2] imposed sanctions against Iran for failing to stop its uranium enrichment program following resolution 1696.

...now use your imagination...

---

wanna get more creative? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaper_drone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(Terminator)

might as well laugh.... ....cos we will all go insane otherwise :/

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 04:04:14 am »
I don't even want to imagine what's actually out there in the wild.  It's kind of fun to think that you/me/we could make a difference, but the bottom line is that we don't just don't know shit (enter my "tin hat" man).  I'm sure there are several rooms full of people that write this stuff 24/7/365.  Not only are people like this really good at their job(s), they think outside the box.  ....kudos actually.  I find that impressive.  Damn spooky, but impressive.

On second thought, even if you/me/we could make a difference, it would be illegal.  'Oh teh powerz of legislachions....'

OR

Don't get caught?

:evil:

Online White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 04:21:47 am »
who is this 'we'?

...i think you misunderstood my post...

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 07:20:37 am »
who is this 'we'?

...i think you misunderstood my post...

...nope.  You misunderstood mine.   :D

The "you/me/we" is representative of any individual(s) or group(s) from an idealistic point of view.  Think cliquish without the prickish, add a touch of doomsday mentality and then reread it again.  Just letting my evil mind stretch it's legs before reality sets in and I put it back in it's box and place the box back in it's place.

In short;  "It's fun to think (x), but I know that reality equals something other than (x). 

Clear or clear as mud?

Online White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 07:29:04 am »
gotcha...

...still smells fishy tho that the US wants to be the internet police the same time stuxnet attacks the iran nuke program that the US doesnt like...

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 10:21:56 am »
I don't think it's fishy.  We're dirty on this.  I'd love to know how someone thought that dropping a payload on that many machines wasn't going to get discovered.  Plausible deniability my ass.  Our politicians are way too far overreaching.....

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 11:20:07 am »
I douibt there are many nations in the world where the people's wishes are actually represented by their government.

The only thing governments seem to represent is business interests and society's lack of action to stop them.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Cyber bill to put US in charge of global cyber security

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx