gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 04:01:09 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  What criteria is used to filter files in a list with more than 3000/5000 files ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What criteria is used to filter files in a list with more than 3000/5000 files ?  (Read 3913 times)

Von Schtrumpfe

If I understand correctly, there is a maximum of 3000 shared files for a secondary WinMX connection and 5000 for a primary connection; if you have more than those numbers, they will be left out of your share list when people browse you.

My question is, how does WinMX select which files are kept in the list and which ones aren't ? Is it random or is there an actual criteria, and if so how does it work ?

Thank you very much.  :)

Online White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
i think ... but dont quote me on this... that its 'first come first serve' .... basically the first 3000 or 5000 listed in the library.dat (or lib4.dat) file are the ones that get listed...

search however will return results all 65535 (max amount) files you have shared.... ...when search is working anyway...

I've not heard of any system winmx uses to select files.
I have browsed users and not found a file i was looking for, but when i borwse again it was there.

I don't know if this is different for primary vs secondary

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
I believe Stripes is right or at least very close to the truth, I have browsed users over and over in the past to see 1 or two missing files and always got the same list back (or at least ...not the one or two files included)

IF you want to share a huge number of files ( and I say IF because it might be not so smart :D ) AND want to make as sure as possible that certain files are visible in browses, then I would add the important files first upto the magic max number of files that can be browses and then add the other.

But in all fairness it could also be the browsing machine that descides what gets loaded and then that machine could memorize it more or less.

In short there would be no way to be 100% sure, it's all theory but you could try testing the outcome together with a few browsers if you have some time to kill  :D
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
or you could figure a way to run multiple instances of MX at your IP, and each has a specific 3,000/5,000 files shared from a common library stored in a NAS box...:D
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
Waits for Stripes' equally silly riposte...

Just remember that...

Online White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
actually i was thinking moreso a practical way to do this.... like creating text files numbered 0000.txt (0001 0002 etc) through 5050.txt ... using a script of some sort would ofc make this simpler...

then add those files to the share of a fresh mx install... use the mxhashish app ( httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/Greyproc/ ) to convert library.dat to a csv file to see what order (hopefully in order) the files are shared... then using either that program that can allow a second instance to run (i know this exsists but not its name) or a second machine with another install -- run a second copy and browse the first... if hashish verified the files are stored in the library.dat file 'in order' files 5001 through 5050 shouldnt show when primary and numbers beyond 3000 shouldnt show when secondary...

... didnt think of this at first but a chat client with support for browse (robomx and i think wpcc) would be easier to check the numbers for secondary...

sorry for the jumbled post... me brain is a bit foggy today (70 degree days that drop quickly to 40 degree nights then back can make anyone who doesnt live in a desert area a bit woozy... ... damn climate change)

* Silver Stripes sneezes...

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
...that program that can allow a second instance to run (i know this exsists but not its name)

PlusMX for upto 10x mx (unstable startups)... httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/Emulator/PlusMx/
or Multi MX  which would allow 2 or 4 executions ..

httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/Ze%20Assortment/MultiMX%20-%20100604.zip

Both will need some work to be usuable though ;)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
actually i was thinking moreso a practical way to do this.... like creating text files numbered 0000.txt (0001 0002 etc) through 5050.txt ... using a script of some sort would ofc make this simpler...

then add those files to the share of a fresh mx install... use the mxhashish app ( httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/Greyproc/ ) to convert library.dat to a csv file to see what order (hopefully in order) the files are shared... then using either that program that can allow a second instance to run (i know this exsists but not its name) or a second machine with another install -- run a second copy and browse the first... if hashish verified the files are stored in the library.dat file 'in order' files 5001 through 5050 shouldnt show when primary and numbers beyond 3000 shouldnt show when secondary...
sorry for the jumbled post... me brain is a bit foggy today (70 degree days that drop quickly to 40 degree nights then back can make anyone who doesnt live in a desert area a bit woozy... ... damn climate change)
* Silver Stripes sneezes...

'tall sounds so much like a method for opening/viewing winmx' long-lost easter egg!

There HAS to be an easier way!

Just remember that...

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
Yeah there is ..set up a http server and share one url  :D

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
Must be a slow-news day, or week...

Just remember that...

Online White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
'tall sounds so much like a method for opening/viewing winmx' long-lost easter egg!

actually if mx had an easter egg i think we would have found it by now :P

... nushi sniffer might be an easier way ... ... but one still needs to know how their library file is built to do a comparison...

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
5000 files! Holy Bitrate Batman! That would take me like a half hour just to get the full report! Who shares that many?
I bet it's only a hand full these days

Ya must be my neighbor SS. Snow is here and then it's gone. From fur lined parka to shorts and tee shirt and back to
shoveling 8 inches.

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Online White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
used to be... and most likely still are... quite a few that share that many... or more...

winmx' method of getting a browse list is.. uh... less than optimal... which is why its so hard to get it to work right...

as far as the weather goes... the whole planet is screwed up so... we are all definitely neighbors in this one...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
Shares around 17,000...

Just remember that...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  What criteria is used to filter files in a list with more than 3000/5000 files ?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx