gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 10:37:30 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  error message
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: error message  (Read 4784 times)

swelter

error message
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:33:19 am »
In my d/l queue I get on individual files,File Error>(5) Access to, followed by my folfer address.Never had a problem with mx before using it more than 12 years.Can anyone shed any light?.CheersBMRWPX

Re: error message
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:14:38 pm »
What operating system are you using?
win7 can be stroppy sometimes and for security reasons won't allow programs access to folders in certain location.
try putting the folder somewhere else.
Alternatively we've seen problems like this when people share from external drives.
some external drives just dont have the grunt to be used for continuous access. (USB only supplies a few watts, not enough to reliably run some external mechanical drive continuously)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 01:03:37 pm »
Heres an old topic that addresses the error messages themselves

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=37.0

swelter

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 06:26:14 am »
Hi.Using win7 since last Nov,no previous problem.Ext.HD has seperate power source.After my folder addy the error goes on witha long line of letters and numbers and that the file I'm dl is incomplete and I'm denied.One I never dl incomplete files and this bit I find strange,it removes the time I've set for searching for files.Hope this additional info will help you to help me.Cheers.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 03:17:20 pm »
what errors are you getting? does winmx have permission to write to the drive that you are downloading to?

the removal of the time (auto find sources) is normal when a file errors... if it breaks the first time theres no reason to continue the search...

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 01:22:13 pm »
this may happen when the source you were downloading from completed the file (and WinMx renaming it from incomplete to the complete filename).
solution in such a case is remove the file from your download list, just cancel, not delete.
then find the file from the source and continue downlowd from incomplete which will pop up your list of incompletes in a browser window, pick the right file and continue.

Real-Helper

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 05:34:51 pm »
It goes without saying that running WinMX as administrator will solve the problem. So to those of you who are trying to help the thread starter, please either get it right or stop giving poor advice. You are wasting everyone's time.. Administrator = God mode = access to anything, it should be the first thing that comes to a computer tech's mind.

Also, external USB HDDs are made to consume little power, and work perfectly from USB, otherwise they wouldn't have sold them. Even in cases where USB power saving mode is enabled, they will just not start. So they either work 100% or not at all, there's no such thing as "somewhere in between", and even if there is, WinMX wouldn't give a jack shit.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 10:30:44 pm »
while the admin mode (right click -- click compatibility tab -- check 'run as admin') is the best way for elder software such as mx .. you are a bit off on external hdds...

usb can provide a max of 500ma of power at 5 volts... many hdds want a tad bit more than that or the usb-only ones wouldnt often come with two usb connectors... ...and even then many laptops and lower end motherboards are going to struggle with that load... ...its not even advisable to have a 'hacked' power connection like that running on high end machines... ...picking up a random laptop hdd sitting around it specifies a current draw of 530ma... and thats without the power draw of a usb bridge chip...

they work short term... but for long term use an external hdd should have its own power supply and preferably a fan in a well vented enclosure... ...just because something has a usb connector doesnt mean it conforms to the usb spec...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »
the USB root-hub on the mainboard can sink 1000mA (1A)
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 10:56:38 pm »
The problem is, downstream devices, often running thru a slave hub, all share that 1,000mA, so a drive, a printer (even quiescent), a webcam, or whatever, are sharing that 1,000mA.

Use a powered downstream hub, it will work ok, as long as there is no other device on that hub, then only data is being carried thru the USB system

If the external drive is a full size, independently powered Case with a 3.5" drive inside, all the above is irrelevant

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 11:06:08 pm »
that 1000ma is per every 2 ports.... but even if it could sink 2000ma i still would be leery to draw more than 500ma per port cos if that little smt fuse blows or worse the usb controller itself then bye bye usb (and possibly other functions depending what the root hub chip is part of ... esp applies to laptops...)

the external powered hub is the best way to go on that cos those can be replaced a lot cheaper than a motherboard...

...i miss the old days of the ISA bus where 5volt connections (like the joystick port) were directly connected to the 5v rail of the psu...

swelter

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:58 am »
Hi.Thanks for all your replies,though some are a bit techy for me.To re-state,I use a WD 2tb ext drive with it's own independant power source.I do NOT attempt to dl incomplete files.Thanks for giving it some thought.Cheers.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 04:05:59 am »
if you are getting errors when mx tries to write to the drive tho its due to permissions.... and as the snarky poster said it is best to run winmx as admin to get around those problems...

just right click mx's icon click the compatibility tab and check 'run as admin' ... restart mx if you had it runnning... if you still get errors when writing to or reading from the drive after that post again..

Real-Helper

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 02:27:16 pm »
I know full well how USB works....... According to the specs, only 100mA are guaranteed to each device connected...... The device will then have to request to draw more, up to 500mA for USB2....... The host controller may or may not deny this this request. This could be due to the controller already being at full load, or because of power saving settings in the OS........... If there is not enough power, then the USB host will simply deny the device more power, and the device will have to cope with just 100mA. The device may then decide if it wants to run at a slower speed, with unnecessary features turned off, or it may choose to simply not start. For example if you have a game pad with a rumble pack, the game pad itself may work since it is low power, but the vibration may be disabled as the motor consumes more than 100mA.
As for external HDDs they will simply not start.

On and for your info..... USB controllers don't SINK current, they SOURCE current. sinking is something else....... I do not know of any cases where it is necessary for a USB controller to sink current.......

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 02:47:26 pm »
And with zero information about who you are, your qualifications or other credentials, we should believe you because...?

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 03:19:57 pm »
sink, source, whatever... depends on which end of the circuit you are looking at .... point is 500ma is 500ma and many devices (including motherboards) dont follow the spec like that so long story short cheap and or badly designed usb devices can damage the computer...

btw, usb 1.1 allows 500ma as well... else usb 2.0 devices wouldnt be considered backward compatible in all but speed...

...and it would be nice to know who you are mr/ms guest poster...

Real-Helper

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 03:54:04 pm »
You do not need to know who i am to believe me. You can look it up yourself........... There is such a thing called "google" that you may have heard about...... maybe USB power specs is a good search term..... Maybe not.... You go figure......

Yes, 1.0 and 1.1 can do 500mA too, but my point was that USB3 can do more........ and since 1.0 and 1.1 are obsolete, the discussion is about USB 2 vs 3. I do not care about legacy USB controllers or some subspec of USB, I am talking about what is commonly used in modern hardware.

Sourcing current means that the power supply outputs power............. the voltage of the power supply pushes the current through another device. When you sink current, the voltage of an external source makes the current flow back INTO the power supply, so the power supply has to burn away the current as heat. Those are 2 different things, not something that depends on how you look at it.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 04:46:56 pm »
Please ignore any further rude posts from "Real Helper" aka KM folks, he's obviously not content to attack the network but now thinks he should come to the forum to create drama hiding under his proxies and the 15 different names hes signed up for the last few days.

If your going to be rude Mike then please dont bother posting, its kind of lame.

The rest of the community care and have respect for each other so when a bad apple appears who doesnt its pretty simple to name you.

My apologies Swelter.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  error message

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 26 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx