gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 02:09:00 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  The Pirate Bay plans Low Orbit Server Drones to beat Censorship
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Pirate Bay plans Low Orbit Server Drones to beat Censorship  (Read 1788 times)

With the development of GPS controlled drones, far-reaching cheap radio equipment and tiny new computers like the Raspberry Pi, we’re going to experiment with sending out some small drones that will float some kilometers up in the air. This way our machines will have to be shut down with aeroplanes in order to shut down the system. A real act of war.

article here

ha ha, thats awesome.

Thats thinking on a new plane (very bad pun intended)

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
Re: The Pirate Bay plans Low Orbit Server Drones to beat Censorship
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:19 pm »
Thats thinking on a new plane (very bad pun intended)

Yeah very lol. But i like the idea. Setup a mesh network. Even the odd down out the rest would be fine :)
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline sharing sarah

• Forum Member
  • A Music & Movie Spectrum_F135E44219F6
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:59:56 pm »
What about the liability if one crashes and kills or injures someone?  :hurt:

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:54:50 pm »
That never happens to the Good Guys! (White-hats)
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 04:19:29 pm »
What about the liability if one crashes and kills or injures someone?  :hurt:

considering they plan to fly them over international waters the chances of one actually hitting a person would be about the same as that person getting struck by lightning...

as far as hitting a seafaring vessel... now thats a different story... however the small size of the drone would make the crew ask 'what was that noise?' rather than scream 'omg!'

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:58:10 pm »
I must say, they are thinking outside the box now. The government will just shoot them down though if they want, and then claim they crashed due to bad weather or whatever they think the general public may believe. They may even shoot them down, and admit to doing it giving whatever justification they deem acceptable. Torrent sites are shutting down at an alarming rate, and they may be extinct soon. My favorite is already gone, "BtJunkie". RIP my friend! There will be lots of new potential WinMx user's in the near future.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:18:00 pm »
I think their plan is that 'shooting' things down over international waters is a big call.
Flicking a switch on a server is one thing, but destroying a plane over international waters will raise more than a few eyebrows.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:26:32 pm »
If it gets shot down over the ocean somewhere in international waters then yeah.. maybe that want look so good, but they can also claim that it went down due to bad weather.  It will be interesting to see never the less.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:53:38 am »
I'm sure it's just a hypothetical, but a darn good one at that.

Didn't that Doctor operate from a boat a few years ago to avoid certain laws?

Anyone seen the move 'pirate radio'?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 07:20:18 am »
http://torrentfreak.com/worlds-first-flying-file-sharing-drones-in-action-120320/

A few days ago The Pirate Bay announced that in future parts of its site could be hosted on GPS controlled drones. To many this may have sounded like a joke, but in fact these pirate drones already exist. Project “Electronic Countermeasures” has built a swarm of five fully operational drones which prove that an “aerial Napster” or an “airborne Pirate Bay” is not as futuristic as it sounds.

the interesting part is that these fly around over cities... if a cop were to shoot one down not only would you have dozens of witnesses but a few possible injuries from shrapnel and possibly even the bullet itself depending on where the cop aimed...

Offline ¿Åliçe

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:03:56 am »
Lol @ small drones that will float some kilometers up in the air.  That's some dedication!

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 09:14:13 am »
It would be a small technical challenge to launch an EMP based attack against such devices thus rendering them inoperable, legal ?, not really but with criminal cartels being backed by monopoly loving governments all around the world its likely this would be one course of action against such drones and we all know before it even got off the ground the big "T" word would be invoked as an excuse for its destruction, terrorism means the same thing whether its by govt action or a few guys not happy with how others live.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 11:09:19 pm »
the big "T" word would be invoked as an excuse for its destruction, terrorism means the same thing whether its by govt action or a few guys not happy with how others live.

declare file-sharers terrorists... and the file-sharers have won since that would cover the entire citizenry of pretty much every government in existence...

next step.. guillotine?

The Pirate Bay Buys Greek Airspace for Launching Low Orbit Server Drones
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 12:37:11 pm »
I'm not sure if this is an april fools or not, I couldn't confirm the date of the announcement.

“Political power in Athens, Greece, today signed an agreement with representatives for The Pirate Bay (TPB) about exclusive usage of the greek airspace at 8000-9000ft.

- This might come as a shock for many but we believe that we need to both raise money to pay our debts as well as encourage creativity in new technology. Greece wants to become a leader in LOSS, says Lucas Papadams, the new and crisply elected Prime Minister of Greece.

LOSS that he is referring to is not the state of finances in the country but rather Low Orbit Server Stations, a new technology recently invented by TPB. Being a leader for a long time in other types of LOSS, TPB has been working hard on making LOSS a viable solution for achieving 100% uptime for their services.

- Greece is one of few countries that understands the value of LOSSes. We have been talking to them ever since we came up with the solution seeing that we have equal needs of being able to find financially sustainable solutions for our projects, says Win B. Stones, head of R&D at TPB.

The agreement gives TPB a 5 year license to use and re-distribute usage of the airspace at 8000-9000 ft as well as unlimited usage of the radio space between 2350 to 24150 MHz. Due to the financial situation of both parties TPB will pay the costs with digital goods, sorely needed by the citizens of Greece.”

http://thehackernews.com/2012/04/pirate-bay-buys-greek-airspace-for.html

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 01:53:25 pm »
I bet it is april fools but right in the way that most country have a controlled airspace.

There never will be a reserved space other than military or commercial air traffic

even weather balloons have a restricted area to be released.

A drone colliding with a comercial flight would not be unthinkable

Download a song and you get an aicrash investigation  :hrmm:

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  The Pirate Bay plans Low Orbit Server Drones to beat Censorship

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx