gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 10:53:24 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  WinMx Friendly Ports?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WinMx Friendly Ports?  (Read 57974 times)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
WinMx Friendly Ports?
« on: December 04, 2005, 07:16:18 pm »
Below you will find a list of ports that are "normally" allocated to the application listed with them.  The hopes of this list is to provide users that are victims of ISP port shaping some choices that might help them to better use and enjoy WinMX.  I make no guarantees to these as they have to be tested by users on the ISPs that are doing the filtering, throttling, and blocking.

If you have any of the services listed beside the ports in use on your computer they will most likely conflict causing you to receive an error message.  If this happens you will need to try a different port for WinMX.

The ports are listed with the protocol they use normally.  Both meaning they are suitable for either TCP or UDP use with WinMX.  This does NOT mean that you can set them up in a router, dsl modem, or firewall as BOTH.  In most cases WinMX will only work correctly if you assign a separate port for each in your router, dsl modem, and firewalls.  The description of BOTH below simply means you may assign it for either for WinMX to use, not both at the same time.

That said keep in mind that you will have to change these in your router, dsl modem, firewall, and anywhere else you had to set specific ports for WinMX for them to work correctly, as with any ports.  If you need help with this visit the Tutorials section and choose the relevant pages to guide you.

1024 BOTH - Netmeeting
1503 TCP - Netmeeting
407 BOTH - Remote Control
1417-1420 TCP - Remote Control
427 BOTH - Service Location Protocol, used by Mac
548 BOTH - Apple Talk Filing Protocol
631 BOTH - Internet Printing Protocol
799 TCP - Remotely Possible Control IT
1352 TCP - Lotus Notes
1490, 6670, 25793 TCP - VocalTec Internet Phone        22555 UDP - VocalTec Internet Phone
1533 TCP - Virtual Places
1720 BOTH - H.323 host call
1723 TCP,BOTH - PPTP/virtual private network (VPN)
1921 TCP -  Netopia netOctopus    
1917 BOTH - Netopia netOctopus
3031 UDP - Program Linking, Remote Apple Events
3283 UDP - Apple Network Assistant
3389 BOTH - Remote Desktop Web Connection
3659 BOTH - Mac OS X Server Password Server
4747 UDP - secure phone
4899 BOTH - remote control
5000-5001 TCP - Yahoo Voice Chat
5000-5010 UDP - Yahoo Voice Chat
5100 TCP - Mac OS X camera and scanner sharing
5353 BOTH -   Mac OS: About Multicast DNS.
5631 TCP - remote control
5632 UDP - remote control
5800+, 5900+ TCP - VNC
5988 TCP - Apple Remote Desktop 2.0 or later
9100 BOTH - PDL datastream

**If you have other ports you think would be good for folks to try please feel free to post them here also.
Keep in mind that if many users are on the same ports ISP will often adjust the software they use to disrupt your WinMX, in this case simply find some new ports.  This is also the reason for this list, if we can spread this out with successful ports then, they are not as likely to be able to shape traffic on these ports.

Also remember that one user on an ISP may have luck with a set of ports that other users on that same ISP found didnt work for them.  Be sure if you dont have luck with some to keep trying.

Hope this helps yall
 :wink:

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 02:03:39 am »
I surveyed the Roomlist the other day to see what TCP ports were in use by room hosts (converting last 4 digits of hash from hex back to decimal).

I must confess to some surprise at just how much diversity I found, I'm tempted to post the result, but the list runs to approcimately 300 entries.. & I fear it may be a little long.

I mention this because if someone has a room open on a port, there must be circumstances where it works.
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline willscotn

• Forum Member
WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 06:44:59 am »
16698 tcp/16257 udp use here

KM

WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 07:28:39 am »
in the vast majority of cases you can use any port number that you like up to 65535, in those cases most people would leave the default 6699, some would change to anything else... in some cases you can use almost any port except a select few (like 6699) so those would change to a random port and have it work, and in a very few cases you are limited to only selected ports, so then you'll have a list of perhaps a hundred ports that work to pick from

if only there was even more diversity :-)

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 05:29:46 am »
How come it cant go over 65535 anyways?
- Josh

c2R

WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 08:09:56 am »
Quote from: Josh
How come it cant go over 65535 anyways?

Because in hex it is the last 4 digit number, i.e. FFFF  

If it was 65536, it would be 10000 in hex which is 5 digits.

Regards
Chris

KM

WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 04:32:52 pm »
the reason being because the structure of TCP/UDP packets uses 2 bytes for a port number, 2 bytes being limited to 65536 possible values (0-65535 - port 0 being invalid)

TGooD1

Thank's But........
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 11:36:22 pm »
What About those of us On A Voip router situation? I know Some of the TCP and UDP ports work - but some of the other's will not ie. dont play well with the Voip Router as A whole :(

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
Re: Thank's But........
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 01:49:33 pm »
Quote from: TGooD1
What About those of us On A Voip router situation? I know Some of the TCP and UDP ports work - but some of the other's will not ie. dont play well with the Voip Router as A whole :(

Then this is the thread to post the ones you know DO play nice, to help others..
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 04:20:30 pm »
I use TCP - 58202  / UDP - 61202  here and my winmx works great.

Paris0367

wifi router FREEBOX FRANCE
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 07:10:15 pm »
Hi there !anyone knows on which port can i share my files (up & down) loading as i am now behind a wifi router (France, my provider is FREEBOX).
All help is welcome, thank you in advance.
Tony=Paris0367

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 08:49:27 pm »
Tony,

Have a look here for instructions on forwarding the correct ports to allow your uploads and downloads to work.

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/routers_info.html

Follow that, and let me know if you have any questions...

RipTorn

Cox Cable
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 06:13:58 pm »
Does anyone know if Cox Cable is blocking uploads?
They don't connect even with the firewall off.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 06:36:13 pm »
Yes in some areas they are blocking or filtering ports for WinMX.

First you make sure that the correct ports are set in any routers or dsl modems, if they are or you dont have these then the next thing is the XP firewall, ZoneAlarm and Norton they need to be allowed in those.  If these are all matching then its possible your in one of the areas they are doing this..

Change to some of the ports listed above or others that other customers in your area have used if you know any.. change them in all of the above and in WinMX then start Winmx back up..

Let me know if you need any thing...

innerpeace

WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 03:13:11 am »
Just a couple quick questions.  I have posted a couple times about my isp bandwidth throttling me and I found out a bit more from them.  I have a 3mb cable connection and my isp installed a QOS (quality of service) enforcer that throttles packets using TCP windowing.  They are limiting p2p to 6mb total in my 2 county area  :( .  Will it do me any good changing  ports?  And also, just a simple question.  If I run pop-up blockers, will I recieve messages from ul/dl users in WinMx?  Thanks again and keep up the great work.  The forums look busy and thats good! ! !

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 03:52:51 pm »
I am not as familiar with the QOS systems, I will try to find some time to look into them more, however its my understanding that many of these.. not all.. only look on certain ports for these.. this would then say that yes its possible to change ports and get around it.

Some folks have reported they have tried all the ports with no luck.. my response to that is 'How in the heck have you tried all 65 thousand ports  :shock: ...lol

So the point is the list here are some that they either shouldnt or wouldnt bother with, I am sure there are many other possibilities also.. Changing ports cant hurt you, and it may help yes.

Pop Up blockers will have no effect on messages from ul/dlers on MX.  If you want to block them you go to Settings > Incoming Msgs & Privacy > set this to never recieve or how ever you would like.

If your gettings messages on pm from idiots complaining about your uploads to them, its always been my advice to rig up a 'lovely' Auto Responder some thing like this:
"Hi, not here right now.  If your sending this message to abuse me because my ISP is blocking my upload to you, please send them an email complaining at this addy:  email@isp.com.  I have called and complained and fixed my settings to be able to upload to you and they still block them."

Just an idea.. cause anyone reading this prolly already knows there is an issue with ISPs blocking, but the many out there that dont are just jerks if they send you messages that are rude.. like thats going to make you start them if you didnt already.. lol  :roll:

innerpeace

WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 02:16:01 am »
Thanks MeHere.  I love the auto responder message. lol  That's a great idea.  I did Google QOS enforcers when I found out from my isp, and that "technology" is sickening!  I will keep trying different ports then and hope I get lucky.  If you do find out more specifics of the QOS, let me know.  I get the general idea of it, but how it relates to my transfers is another story  :? ...  Thanks

MaKeLiKeFaGaN

can't stay connected
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 04:27:00 am »
hi.......I was having good luck using alternate ports...but I recenctly had to do a reformate....an reinstall winmx.......seems to be working but it takes several minutes to connect to network ......but even when I can connect.......I time out and lose the connection every 10 or 15 minutes
It will reconnect but it never holds for very long making it impossible to finish ul or dl .............any ideal what could be causing this........I'm using
  xp services pact 2.....have firewall setup to allow winmx  and the tcp an upd settings seem to be o k for getting around ISP throddling the've always work in the past.......just not getting a solid connection to network
could the patch I dl not be working properly?.......

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 09:15:06 am »
Hi MakeLikeFagan

What version of MX you got?
What version of the Patch do you have?

MaKeLiKeFaGan

WinMx Friendly Ports?
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 10:19:43 pm »
hi me here.......
i'm not quite sure which patch I have I just did a standard dl from the winmx group  page.......I do know that it's V 3.54 beta 4........so I guess it would be whatever patch  that is installed with that installation.....sorry I can't be more clear...........thanks

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  WinMx Friendly Ports?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx