gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 09, 2024, 02:56:48 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Information Exchange  |  What disicplines of math do I need to know well for proficient coding?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What disicplines of math do I need to know well for proficient coding?  (Read 3833 times)

Offline achilles

• Core
I had to move away from the career field I was in due to some health issues I had mentioned a while back. Now, I'm seeking a degree in the computer field.  I start classes soon, and have declared my major field of study as Networking. I did this because I see so many jobs around the world in Networking, and I know I could get an apprenticeship job in this fairly fast. It would also be a gratifying career for me as well. I also am declaring a minor in computer programming or computer science which is the reason for this post. I'm declaring a minor in computer programming due to personal interest. I know it is really important to have a good foundation in math for computer programming. I'm probably average to a little above average in math, but its been many years since I have attended a math class in school. I had College Algebra back in 1997 if that gives you an ideal. I don't know where to begin, and I would like to get a head start on this before class starts so I want be lost. I can add, subtract, divide, multiple, work with decimals, and fractions. I still remember basic Algebra.  Could someone give me some sort of a list of what disciplines of math I will need to know well to be a proficient coder. I'm going to be working with C++, and Java. I also have interest in assembly language. I would like to start working with the math before class begins. I only have a couple months before class starts.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: What disicplines of math do I need to know well for proficient coding?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:17:51 am »
depends on what your programs do... for most stuff i think basic algebra cuts it....

but if you want to write a program from scratch that decodes something simple like mp3 you're gonna need a bit more... encoding mp3? a lot more...

Offline Ace

• Forum Member
  • Every new creation is the sum of old and new.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:45:35 am »
it would depend of what type off coding yuou be doing
 likes of game dev its more 2d and 3d understanding
 if its ap dev its more Algebra, Calculus understanding and a understanding off how arrrys work as
you use em all the time and how the shift coding works as thats a bigggg part of encryption

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:13:11 pm »
My interest is in coding P2P software.  Server client software, and network design. I do have a strong interest in encryption, but I would be likely to use open source encryption.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 09:14:44 pm »
I'm not expert on anything but can I suggest that a sensible grounding in hexadecimal and binary will be all you really need for most coding. As long as you have those two in the bag you'll get along fine.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:29:38 pm »
And your basic boolean algebra down pat...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 11:50:55 pm »
My what Algebra Bluey?. I had to Google Boolean Algebra just to see what is was so I guess not Bluey. GS, I was really wondering about Binary, and Hexadecimal because I was trying to learn C++ last year, and it seemed like I hit a road block when I started working with Binary, and Hexadecimal. It was all confusing to me. Ace mentioned arrays, and I was  working with them last year as well. I understood how they worked, but actually applying it was a  different story. As GS mentioned above I need to work on hexadecimal, and binary math. I just don't really know where to begin. Does anyone know of any good sites that teach it well?

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 01:05:00 am »
Does anyone here like Code Blocks? I have tried a few different IDE's, and have liked Code Blocks the most out of the ones I have tried.  Code Blocks 12.11 was released in December. What are other users preferences here?

Offline Ace

• Forum Member
  • Every new creation is the sum of old and new.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 02:05:34 am »
most if not all tcp network traffic is binary
so learning networking will give you that
allso you would use a arry table of some sort           

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 02:29:09 am »
Yeah, I thought if I furthered my knowledge in networking that would be a huge help. 

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 11:55:33 am »
Ever written an Excel formula?

A macro?

if so, you're on your way
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Einsteinus

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 11:03:30 pm »
There are a lot of abstract principles in networking as in sub netting. Understanding the relationship between systems of numbers and how they relate to each other is essential to being able design flow diagrams and charts that break the process down so it can be digested.  Many times it's the piecing together of the parts into something that works that makes the most brilliant programmers. Coding is only the language that is spoken and as many know that comes in many different flavors.   It's almost the same as learning a foreign language with some math and sign language thrown in.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Information Exchange  |  What disicplines of math do I need to know well for proficient coding?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx