gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 05:02:36 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft Rolling Out Two-Step Security Option
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft Rolling Out Two-Step Security Option  (Read 737 times)

Microsoft Rolling Out Two-Step Security Option
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:26:33 pm »
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Microsoft-Account-Security-Two-Step-Authenticator-Windows-8,22102.html

There has been a growing need for a two-step system since the launch of Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 which rely on a single user account. This new system will provide an additional layer of security, requiring users to enter a unique code sent to a phone or email in addition to the typical user name/password combo.

Why do we need this? Here's a good personal example. In 2011, my Google account was hacked by a company in the mid-west because I was merely using a user name and password to gain entry. This company used my account to make overseas calls via Google Talk. Given that the account stored my credit card information via Google Wallet, the fees were leeched straight from my bank account. Now I use a two-step process to access my account (although it's a pain), and Google reversed all the charges.

Thus, in an era where seemingly nothing is secure, a two-step verification process is a necessity. Microsoft realized this more than a year ago, requiring a two-step process for activities like editing credit cards and subscriptions at commerce.microsoft.com and xbox.com, and accessing files stored on SkyDrive.com from another computer. These will always require a two-step process.

But Windows Account is designed to store personal settings, contacts and other information in the cloud, and accessible to any platform or service that relies on this central point of data. Thus, imagine a hacker gaining access of a Windows Account and locking the owner out of their desktop, laptop and/or mobile device. Even more, they could gain access to files stored on SkyDrive. This is why a two-step process is vitally important.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft Rolling Out Two-Step Security Option

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.017 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx