gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 01:34:59 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  New Client
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Client  (Read 118883 times)

Offline Joanne

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
Re: New Client
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2013, 08:06:44 pm »
To be honest I think this client needs so much work
to get it right and considering it has taken 2 years for this
version I cant see this new client functioning as it should
for a very long time as the coders simply do not have
the time sadly  :no:

Offline WhiteLightningX

• OurMX Support Group
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2013, 08:11:23 pm »
It works fine, if you can find the file and manage to get it to download. Just has some graphical and last second hiccups. Id say the majority of it is easy peasy to fix.  :yes:

Offline Joanne

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 08:24:46 pm »
It works fine, if you can find the file and manage to get it to download. Just has some graphical and last second hiccups. Id say the majority of it is easy peasy to fix.  :yes:

So how long in coding years will it take ?

Offline WhiteLightningX

• OurMX Support Group
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2013, 08:54:27 pm »
Sorry GS, but since im going to have to wait for a comfirmation email, and the fact that I will be leaving soon, I need to go ahead and write these down too so that I don't forget.

To Joanne: it's done now, but to make it look pretty and stamp out all annoying and easy to spot kinks, id give it a month or 2.  :) maybe in time for christmas it'll be perfect! :33333

Bugs:

1-A. Blank file icon shows up occasionally instead of folder icon when adding folders in library, icon being a representation or (place holder maybe?) of the folder just added, and will not have any items inside. Restarting does not fix the problem.
1-B. Blank file icon shows up occasionally instead of folder icon when adding folders in library, this one contains the files that were intended to be added, which is why i listed it separately.
2. Library will occasionally add additional folders that were not selected.
3. When browsing oneself through chat room, (privacy obviously disabled) duplicate items may show
4. When browsing oneself through chat room, (privacy obviously disabled) items shown may not be up to date with filesharer's current list.
5. When browsing, "Show Full Paths" does nothing even after refreshing the list.
6. Tray icon stays even after closing. (mark this one off, someone done reported it, however I've found it happens when its closed unexpectedly, either through a crash or task manager.)
7. OurMx can be found in one or multiple instances through task manager, even though it is not visible on the desktop. (they actually may not be running, but they will be listed under task manager independently of any new ones that are opened.)
8. Yes, trying to switch between primary and secondary is hell in a handbasket if you try anything other than clicking the little dots under connection type, and you can only do that while it is blinking yellow. You've been warned.  :evil:
9. um..after about the 8 minutes 30 seconds mark of being connected as secondary, cpu usage jumps to roughly 70% and begins to become TERRIBLY slow..... Now that I've looked into it, it appears this was caused by searching for an artist. After closing out the search, cpu dropped back down to <1%.

Offline WhiteLightningX

• OurMX Support Group
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2013, 09:12:32 pm »
last one lets hope...

Bugs:

1. If sharing files, when switching between any window back to the library window, where it normally displays "# results found" at the bottom of the program, the "# of files shared" briefly flashes before disappearing.
2. Sometimes if you close or crash OurMx while viewing the transfer window, when you restart the program, it will start with the transfer window maximized blocking everything all the way to the title bar, including all buttons and HUD at the bottom. (restarting a second time fixes this)
3. Hotlist bar can be shrunk to the right beyond where the words are for the "hotlist options" menu.
4. Hotlist bar's "hotlist options" menu button cannot be read unless the hotlist bar is drug far to the left because the words are centered inside the button, which apparently has a minimum size which is much to large. (button does not scale down to fit in the bar..) This could cause issues with users who have smaller resolutions.

Offline WhiteLightningX

• OurMX Support Group
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2013, 09:33:48 pm »
Nope! found some more!

Bugs:

1. Under settings>file transfers> any setting changed in this entire category has no effect, whether pressing ok, "x", or restarting. Nothing except incoming file folder will be saved. Under "Queuing," everything will be saved however.
2. Regardless of what option you click when closing the program (as i've already reported) the settings are not saved. However, even if you hit the "x" to close out the prompt and cancel closing OurMx, OurMx stil closes.
3. Adding filetypes to library through the settings menu does not work, it does not show in the search window under filetypes, even though it will indeed be listed in the settings menu after being added. (perhaps there is a specific syntax you have to type it in?)
4. When closing OurMx and selecting minimize to tray, it will always be it's native size when restored even if it was maximized prior to being sent to the tray.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2013, 09:37:19 pm »
I'm sure most of the bugs you mention have already been reported so have a look at whats already there and add any you feel are missing and if you have extra information regarding any of the existing bugs posts then add to those, and no sorry the other site is brand new and thus all users will have to sign up again, it should make the site there more lively if only current users are posting  :yes:

@ "Joanne"
I did specify that we would release something completed or not as folks had been very patient and needed to see that we had not misled them as to our activities, we will do our best to rid the client of all of the bugs and likely do future releases with batches of fixes to avoid having too many trivial releases, thank you also for thinking further about the wording of that previous post, we dont have to be serious all of the time with each other but when theres scope for unintended offence with non domestic users then using simple plain english with less added humour often seems the best way to avoid such pitfalls. Well done  on resolving the matter 8)

Offline WhiteLightningX

• OurMX Support Group
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2013, 09:46:06 pm »

last one lets hope...

Bugs:

2. Sometimes if you close or crash OurMx while viewing the transfer window, when you restart the program, it will start with the transfer window maximized blocking everything all the way to the title bar, including all buttons and HUD at the bottom. (restarting a second time fixes this)

This should say Bandwidth window instead of transfers, my bad.

And excellent. I'll keep at it and begin posting them there as soon as I get an account. And will post screenshots. Yup. But unfortunately, I'm right now leaving and won't be back till Mon. So until then, they're here for now. :3 Catch you all later, and good work!

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2013, 10:32:20 pm »
Just a thought but perhaps you can make a page similar to this on OurMX: http://www.utorrent.com/community/ideabank

So users can submit the feature requests they want implemented and also the bugs they want fixed. This would allow you to democratise the software creation process in an efficient way and focus on things the most amount of users want added or fixed. I believe there is some software already available online to implement an Idea Bank like this on any website so you wouldn't need to write it yourselves.

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2013, 11:18:30 pm »
Thanks for the link Pri thats awesome.
I will be implementing something like this but I'd like to focus on bugs at the moment.

Lightning, you don't need to be a member to read the bug report section nor do you need to be member to post at this stage either.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2013, 05:17:12 am »
No one replied to Joannes post and may be that is the best we can do, ignore
What joanne has to say is showing so little respect for the big amount of time spend on a complex project like ourmx happens to be.
I may remind joanne it took WinMx from 1999 to 2004 to develop WinMx to version 3.54 and even that version is a beta
How on earth do you expect WMW to do the same in two years? you must be very blond

Offline MSmithy

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2013, 11:15:37 am »
Hi, and thank you for releasing the first version of OurMX. I am sure it will evolve into something great! GhostShip, if I may suggest something to make the developers lives and our lives easier. I am seeing a lot of requests and bugs (as expected) with the first release. It would be great to include an auto-update checker which downloads new builds and patches directly to the client folder if accepted by the end user to prevent having the end user having to 'discover' new versions by looking on the website. Plus, its a faster way to push out any updates to the client. Let me know if you need help with basic overall design if this sounds like something you can put into the next release. I cannot stress enough how this feature will be convenient for users and devlopers.

Offline agentmulder

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2013, 12:31:20 pm »
Great to see the new client.

One problem I have encountered is that using the same ports as WinMX I cannot get OurMX to connect  (using port 6699 TCP and 6257 UDP), winmx connects fine but ourmx doesn't do I need to use different ports and if so what suggests are made for the ones to use.

Many thanks

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2013, 04:14:40 pm »
Hi Agentmulder,  welcome to WinMxWorld  :)
The situation is simply that both clients cannot use the same ports at the same time, just change the ports in either WinMX or OurMx  to something different and you should be all ok, there will be a notification soon to warn users if the port selected is already in usage, but with many of the big items to fix some of the smaller annoyances where left for later on.

@MSmithy
There is the facility of using the update bar space built into OurMx in the same fashion the WinMX developers used to alert us to updates, I am a bit worried about any type of autoupdate feature in case the release site is ever hijacked and thus it may be better to use some sort of digital signing mechanism to confirm that the update is valid and offer it in the form you have suggested as an optional download with verification at two independent locations as the chances of hitting 3 locations at the same time to deliver malware is fairly remote then I hope.

Its nice to see good friends are still abound on the network   :yes:

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2013, 01:04:21 am »
I am so... so...exited to see the first beta release of the new client!! I'm going to install it now, and see what bugs I can find. I will report back on any bugs I find. 
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2013, 01:10:53 am »
I would like to thank  the developers very much for all the hard work, and sacrifices they have made to bring back my favorite P2P network!! I can't really express how much I appreciate what you have done in words!!

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2013, 05:49:57 am »
I have already found several bugs, but i'm blocked from submitting bugs. I get the following message when trying to register at the new forum. "Your email address or username or IP address is blacklisted". I'm trying to use achilles for my username, and there's no reason for my email, or IP address to be blocked.

Some of the bugs I have come across so far are listed below.
1. The installer stopped responding during the install. It continued to report not responding for about 5 minutes, and then it finally completed the installation.
2. If I right click on OurMx tray icon, and choose exit OurMx will not shutdown.  OurMx continues to run no matter how many times I choose exit.  The only way I can shutdown OurMx is by killing it from the task manager, or rebooting.
3. I'm unable to run as a primary. It connects at first, but always disconnects momentarily later. Then it will no connect again. I'm able to run as a secondary without any issue.
4. When you click on the chat button the text in the message you receive warning you about the nature of the decentralized network is way off in the left margin.

I'm sure I can find more, but these are the ones I noticed within 10 minutes of using OurMx. I will report them as soon as i'm able to register at the new forum.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2013, 08:16:52 am »
What O/S are you running Achilles also from your comment regarding the chat warning window, what is your display size set to ?

Offline Sean

• Core
    • The Rebelion
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2013, 08:55:20 pm »
GhostShip and achilles,

It appears that someone is trying to manually break the lines of text in a message box. The developers simply need to pass the message string as one line and let the OS handle the wrapping. I have attached a screenshot of a message box I called using this method. I will post a similar reply on the OurMX bug report thread.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2013, 09:48:24 pm »
Tbh Sean this text error doesnt appear in the version I have so its likely a throwback from some previous code merging, I only today had a look at the image posted by Achilles and agree its a nasty looking bunch of text  :lol:

Obviously it will be resolved in the next build  :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  New Client

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx