gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76781 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 July 27, 2024, 03:24:15 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New lease on life? AOL reportedly selling Winamp to Radionomy
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New lease on life? AOL reportedly selling Winamp to Radionomy  (Read 1330 times)

New lease on life? AOL reportedly selling Winamp to Radionomy
« on: January 03, 2014, 12:05:07 am »
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/01/new-lease-on-life-aol-reportedly-selling-winamp-to-radionomy/

Instead of shutting down Winamp, AOL is apparently close to selling the media player to Radionomy, a streaming music company. AOL's planned shutdown of Winamp was met by protest from users of the 16-year-old software. Now, TechCrunch has reported that both Winamp and streaming software Shoutcast are being acquired by Radionomy and that the acquisition should be finalized today or tomorrow.

Lending credence to the rumor is the fact that Winamp's name servers were transferred from AOL to Radionomy yesterday, as noted by TheNextWeb and others. We've asked AOL and Radionomy to confirm the acquisition, but we haven't heard back yet.

Similar to Pandora, Radionomy lets users create their own radio stations and claims 13 million unique users. TechCrunch speculates that "Winamp’s media playing software could be used to help program those radio stations and offer additional services."

Winamp and Shoutcast were both developed by Nullsoft, a company purchased by AOL in June 1999.

Offline ÐØØMÊ®

• Forum Member
  • I am coming for you, it is only a matter of time!
    • Quakehell
Re: New lease on life? AOL reportedly selling Winamp to Radionomy
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:04:22 am »
They will probably get the program and burn it to the ground once they acquire it.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:02:46 pm »
Sure, sure, after spending (Investing) so much of their filthy lucre they are gonna just throw it away like that

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh, Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:19:14 pm »
Yeah it's a strong brand, they may just gut it and make use of the branding but I think it would be unlikely they would discard it.

Offline ÐØØMÊ®

• Forum Member
  • I am coming for you, it is only a matter of time!
    • Quakehell
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 02:35:03 am »
Sure, sure, after spending (Investing) so much of their filthy lucre they are gonna just throw it away like that

Don't be snide to me just because I made a guess based on similar events that have happened in the past.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 05:54:01 am »

Don't be snide to me just because I made a guess based on similar events that have happened in the past.

anyone remember sonique?

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 01:50:56 am »
was he a hedgehog?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 02:58:32 am »
was he a hedgehog?

heh... no thats 'sonic' .... sonique was a competitor to winamp back in yon times..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonique_(media_player)

you can get aac and vorbis rc2 (the vorbis plug it comes with is too old to play what we know vorbis to be now) but no FLAC since it wasnt invented before this player was sold and died.... i just have a funny feeling the same is going to happen to winamp... someone will buy it and it will just die out...

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 03:05:27 am »
its the people behind it that bring life to it, if they're not passionate about it it will die

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 05:23:51 am »
its the people behind it that bring life to it, if they're not passionate about it it will die

the sad part is you would need a clone since its not open source.... the plugins are the real things that need to be kept around since they are the unique items now... and the api could be (and has been) cloned to run them...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New lease on life? AOL reportedly selling Winamp to Radionomy

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.014 seconds with 18 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx