gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 07:42:43 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  Hosting on WCS, what is going on with the 10 second thing?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hosting on WCS, what is going on with the 10 second thing?  (Read 14142 times)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
Re: Hosting on WCS, what is going on with the 10 second thing?
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 05:43:43 am »
BTW, dont expect an instant response.lol

The next 2 weeks and possibly month are going to be extreamely (or however its spelled) busy as hell for me. Lucky if I can stay home long enough to take the dog out.

Just at the right time too, the blazing hot summer shit.

Grr.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 09:45:08 am »
There wont be any bashing on this forum, if folks choose to be unaccepting of others thats their issue to deal with internally, all are welcome here as friends if they come with a friendly attitude  :-D

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 07:57:15 am »
Well, I have been linked by Richie to his version, tried it.

A very strange problem. The pc I use to host. (I have several on the lan) refuses to operate that version correctly.

My pc right here, has no problem.

The original will not post any text or commands or anything.

I have checked leveling. Yup. Full absolute power, no typing allowed.

Even that version of WCS does not type itself.

No problem with the one made by Mind.

I have altered the hosts file in desperation,

then added some more modern dlls into the folder. No change.

I think now, im going to stay on the original WCS I have been using and use wipfw to apply the blocklists (proxies and Tor).

Same thing as ipfw on BSD, just runs under Windows.

I know, could use peerblock. Blah.

Peerblock has always been as slow as molasses in January.  ;)

If the windows ipfw is too slow, or buggy, I guess I will go to changing the entire computer to FreeBSD or OpenBSD. Then the firewall will run at warp 10. Emulate windows on the same pc and run WCS under that.

This is becoming a project.

Not so much as to bandwidth being used, but I just dont like the idea of certain foreign countries popping in and out for no reason, other than to gather data. (funny how now that is mostly Ukrain)

Followed by China, and then Italy. Yes, I do lookup the ips.

In every case, the list of proxies and Tor nodes as presented earlier on by Primary, is a match.

In fact, I havent seen a non-match when looking up anyone who comes in for a few seconds, says nothing, then vanishes.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 08:14:38 am »
The abuses of proxies to both data mine and attack this network has been well documented elsewhere on this forum, its always been a disappointment to me that some would want to undertake such activity even when its clear its unwelcome, there are countermeasures that will become available in the future but for now  a blocking list  of proxies seems the simplest way ahead.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2014, 05:31:17 am »
Imo, all proxies and tor nodes should be blocked from the internet worldwide, not just on winmx.

They serve no purpose except to hide and cause trouble.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2014, 11:37:32 am »
tor nodes too eh? apparently the great firewall of china has... what... slipped your mind?

use peerblock and the tor and proxies lists from iblocklist ... peerblock isnt slow.. its scrolling display might be a bit laggy but the ips are blocked no matter how fast they try to come in.... and i used to use it on a pentium 3...

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 05:48:33 am »
Peerblock2, I already have tried that years ago, it eats resources.

Maybe I should go buy a new motherboard and an I5?

Nah, I already did that for my other half for Xmas.

Its a tad costly.  lol

Although unholy fast.

Guess what else is extremely slow? Anything as an OS that says BSD.

This BSD, that BSD. Simple BSD that doesnt even have any form of a GUI. Slow as snot running down a tree in Ohio during Febuary.

Next thing for me to do to try to make a nice quick firewall will be Debian I guess. As long as it can install and run ipfw. At least ipfw does 'tables'. One rule in the fw referencing a list of ips to apply.

It isnt limited to 65,535 rules, since one rule just zips along through a list of ips.

I have done my homework, ipfw is screamingly fast when you setup a ton of ips in a table.

Unfortunately, Wipfw (ipfw ported to run under windows) doesnt support tables. Still stuck on that 65k thing.

If all of that doesnt work, I guess I will simply read all the history of the room and record all ips that do that short stay thing.

The problem with a list of proxies is that it has to be updated, as in remove the old ones that are not active anymore.

The list I have from Pri, is over 70 thousand individual ips.

It was fun to change the format to one ip per line of text. I ended up discovering a nice editor that does regex search and replace. That simplified things.

At least I did get myself one really cool piece of freeware in the process that I never knew existed.  ;)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 11:12:27 am »
I just tried the newest peerblock. Was thinking of PG2 earlier that I used years ago I guess.

It locked up the pc at 100% cpu. Reason? Its default to block all p2p and the rest of the planet was blocking over 1 billion addresses.  o.O

Got rid of that monster list and now its behaving itself.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 02:18:51 am »
The problem with a list of proxies is that it has to be updated, as in remove the old ones that are not active anymore.

The list I have from Pri, is over 70 thousand individual ips.

It was fun to change the format to one ip per line of text. I ended up discovering a nice editor that does regex search and replace. That simplified things.

At least I did get myself one really cool piece of freeware in the process that I never knew existed.  ;)

I just saw this post so I apologize for the late reply.

With my proxy lists they are completely erased and rebuilt every day. And by that I mean the software I've written literally scours the web and collects brand new Proxy Servers and it completely erases its old list.

This makes sure that reclaimed compromised servers won't persist on my listings and remain blocked even after they have stopped being used as a Proxy Server.

I understand that I export my lists currently for Peerblock and you may use Linux or another operating system which cannot handle the Peerblock formatted listings, if you have another format you would like the lists available in I would be more than happy to accept the format specifications from you and provide a way to get the same database in that format instead.

Simply reply with any specifications you would like the IP's packaged in and I would be happy to oblige :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  Hosting on WCS, what is going on with the 10 second thing?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx