gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 06, 2024, 09:23:39 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  Hosting on WCS, what is going on with the 10 second thing?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hosting on WCS, what is going on with the 10 second thing?  (Read 14397 times)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
I host a room on WCS.

Normal (old) users can get in and stay.

New users come in and disappear after E-x-a-c-t-l-y 10 seconds. In all cases. Precisely 10 seconds.

These are people of all different ips, quantity of shares, etc.

What can be causing this?

Re: Hosting on WCS, what is going on with the 10 second thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 07:29:00 am »
it's some of the malicious traffic being fired at the network.

Some have suggested its just a spoofed join packet, there's no actual client there
10 seconds must be the timeout before the room drops the user after it doesn't respond. In our room it seems to be 15

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:05:02 am »
I have seen this phenomenon and if you look at the IPs you will notice they are valid but proxies, they stay long enough to get a rooms userlist and thats their whole purpose in my opinion, there was a tool from eagles site that did this but it didnt run via a proxy, I have thought of adding all of these IPs to the blocklist to protect our privacy but it would mean daily new additions and I dont have time for that at the moment.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 07:16:19 pm »
what in the world do they want with a rooms userlist? O.o

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 07:28:41 pm »
Some folks like to know who is in which room, for all I know they whois the entire room before ejecting themselves thus gathering the IP and port of the users parked in there, I dont care why they do this but I know its unwanted by all room hosts.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 03:44:14 am »
I removed most blocks in the firewall, and then got rid of the tor detection in metis.

That worked nicely for a few hours, now its worse. Everyone drops after 6 seconds. I wanted more speed but not more speed to drop. lol

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 03:47:04 am »
Maybe I should put in place the most laggy delayed piece of crapware that I can think of, at this rate, slow seems better.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 09:16:46 am »
I take it your using the plain WCS and not Richys modified version ?

Have you asked other wcs users if they are having a similar issue, thats a useful step to rule out a network wide issue one that we used when MCS used to be the problem chat server of the day,  I'll do some snooping about myself and see if I can see anything of interest.

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 08:44:58 pm »
I can always provide a test version for you to log some extra info to try and identify why they are leaving etc if that's of any help?

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 06:14:33 am »
I dont know who or what Richies version is. Im on 1.8.8 (bug corrected version that some lady was working on (on the side)). She was VERY good at getting rid of the bugs. But died for whatever reason a few years ago.

Responded to the PM though, which sounds interesting.

ty.  ;)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 10:37:13 am »
Good to hear your taking up Richys kind offer of help, he is the expert in the chat server field and should be able to work out the issue fairly quickly  :yes:

Cheers Richy  8)

Raven was the ladys online name and her death was a shock to all of us here, she was often outspoken but always committed and for that reason alone was missed by many when she passed away  :(

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 06:17:10 am »
She was very talented as well.

She alone made WCS almost perfect.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 06:20:55 am »
How is for strange?

Now people dont enter at all, no regs, no flooders, no redirects. 

I havent changed a thing since simply dropping most ips from the FW.

Havent had the time to try the other method due to real life (annoying) getting in my way.

Now I have had one entry since the past 24 hours.

Instead of the usual several zillion going in for 10 seconds then out again.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 06:59:21 am »
Raven had a very talented friend called "Mind", I think you will find that he was the powerhouse behind many of the WCS fixes, unfortunately he has never been heard of much since her death, I did exchange one PM with him some years ago but hes pretty much a recluse when it comes to this forum.

I suspect he misses her as much as we do.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 08:04:36 pm »
have you tried hosting on ES or other chat server?

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 07:01:33 pm »
Good to hear your taking up Richys kind offer of help, he is the expert in the chat server field and should be able to work out the issue fairly quickly  :yes:

Cheers Richy  8)

Raven was the ladys online name and her death was a shock to all of us here, she was often outspoken but always committed and for that reason alone was missed by many when she passed away  :(

Afraid to say no-one is taking up my offer as I didn't PM Miners due to the concern that I'd get accused of pushing a different variant of WCS secretly.  I stuck to putting my offer in public and have heard nothing more.  Still more than willing to help though.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 07:10:11 pm »
My apologies for the incorrect assumption, I myself would have taken you up on your offer as the gathering of further information to resolve the problem seems to me the right way ahead but once again my thanks for your offer of help  8)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 06:09:05 am »
Would like to try it. Already responded back just now. Im slow and inattentive.  lol

I have tried ES and Ouka btw. One was unstable and crashy, the other required to rewrite the bot all over. That could take centuries. I think Ouka was the crashy one. Its been years.

The WCS 1.8.8 I have been using for eons worked very well, until like the past year or so.

Not connected to the WPN. If I do that, I get zillions of tera googleplex outgoing traffic which floods me offline altogether for the lot of computers which have nothing to do with WinMX. It simply uses up all the speed my isp can deal with.

The flooding seems very like much as if it works in the same way, more or less, that Heart Bleed does. Just on our protocol and not on open ssl.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 08:59:11 am »
I have seen this phenomenon and if you look at the IPs you will notice they are valid but proxies, they stay long enough to get a rooms userlist and thats their whole purpose in my opinion, there was a tool from eagles site that did this but it didnt run via a proxy, I have thought of adding all of these IPs to the blocklist to protect our privacy but it would mean daily new additions and I dont have time for that at the moment.

We don't get these in my room (I also witnessed this phenomenon) because we block proxies at the firewall level. If other hosts wish to block these annoying room indexers that use proxies you can use the same anti-proxy lists I use which my software automatically gathers daily: http://blocklists.mxpulse.com/

They are pre-formatted for use with Peerblock however the lists can easily be reformatted for another firewall software if desired.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 05:38:44 am »
What on earth?

I just attempted to respond to Richie.

No way to edit or even send.

It sent a nothing message lol.

(from the email link via winmxworld and off to wherever.)

Since that mode doesnt seem to work...

Yes.

No sexism or religious things please, but the roomname is GAY WEST.

Sorry, but since so many are bashers, I am a tad paranoid.  lol

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  Hosting on WCS, what is going on with the 10 second thing?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.007 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx