gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 12:31:14 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Stop a user from Downloading from me
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stop a user from Downloading from me  (Read 7562 times)

Offline zippy

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
Stop a user from Downloading from me
« on: August 03, 2014, 04:50:00 pm »
My 1st post and yes it's a Question  :canadian:

I loooove winmx and always have done, use nothing else on a daily basis.
sometimes i need to ignore a user, even though i really hate doing it..my Question is this -
When i put them on my ignore list all that does is stop them from talking to me, How do i actually stop them from getting a file from me when they go into my que?
or can i even stop them from entering my que?

Thanks for replies  :bow:

Re: Stop a user from Downloading from me
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 10:13:46 pm »
HI Zippy,

When you put someone on your ignore list, they won't be able to enter your queue, if they are already in your queue you'll need to cancel them.
However if a user changes IP or if they are secondary and change the primary they are connected to, or change their name, they don't mach the ID on your ignore list and aren't ignored anymore.

Zip

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 11:57:16 pm »
Ah i get it now, Understand.
Thanks for such a quick reply...
  :thumbs:

Offline CrayonWarrior2000

• Forum Member
  • The Universe is more Unreal, than Real.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 06:04:59 am »
Hi Zippy, I have had the same problem, I guess I am just too nice, I come to a trading network to share and I just assume others do so for the same motives... But alas poor Yorik, there is more to heaven and earth than is dreamed of in your philosophy.... There are some pretty petty and selfish persons out there, and they will abuse your collections, your bandwidth, they start and stop multiple times never finishing a single request and pile up more and more and more in your que, endlessly and forever, consuming so much of your systems resources that your WinMX program clogs up, hangs, and interrupts not only your uploads to your trading buddies, but your downloads from them as well....

At some point you realize you have to regulate and control your trading, or you won't be trading at all, you will be a server to the people who abuse WinMX.

I have tried installing MxMoni several times, and hoping that would help, I don't know if I am stupid or what, but I just can't get that add on to work on my system at all, I don't know, or even care what is causing it or if I can become a MxMoni guru I might be able to fix it, I don't want to become a MxMoni Guru, I just want some control over being leeched off of.

Then I tried LeecHammer, a scaled down version of the options of MxMoni, that is small, compact, easy to understand and simple to set up.... THAT WORKS !!!  A few simple parameters, and Mr Hammer checks out everyone connecting to me automatically, finds out if they are sharing, if they are not.... slammo.. It swats them and puts them on ignore.... If they come back latter it BLOCKS them and tracks their IP and slams them in the slammer.... Brutal I know... BUT EFFECTIVE !!! It keeps track of peoples trading habits, it detects if they shut down and restart trades frequently, ITS WONDERFULL, and pretty DARN FAIR TOO.... I don't feel badly about slamming a pest into the trash can, they leech my system time, my interrupts, my disk access, and interfere with my established trading buddies who share all they have with me.... I don't want to loose their friendship, its hard won in these parts.

I suggest you give LeecHammer a try, works great for me !!!
The Physical Universe is more Unreal, than Real, Composed of Energy Fields, Not Matter, Matter is a state of Organized Energy, and is actually an illusion of perception, not a reality. Particles are Unreal, and don't exist at all.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 03:53:22 pm »
uh... this is not a 'trading' network...

Offline Plum

• Core
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 02:24:10 pm »
Yes, we are a sharing network. I'd love to see some built-in anti-leeching stuff, but overall, I don't want the spirit be dampened by those who cannot understand or appreciate the "pay it forward" principle.

It is funny how others talk about "abuse" when it isn't personal. I don't pay attention to who has the files, just the files. I don't use file-sharing networks to socialize. So I tag what I like and wait for it to download. So how am I supposed to know how many I am getting from the same person, and why should they expect me to care? As for slot usage, I tend to get it to just one at a time per person. So the person who has the longer queue is not monopolizing the queue. So lets not confuse poor planning or wrong settings on our part with poor etiquette or maliciousness on part of another.

Now there is some common courtesy, such as:

1. If you download it, allow at least one other to get it before you remove from your library, unless it shouldn't be on there (someone's personal financial details or content that exploits children).
2. Try to provide files of the type you prefer. I mean, if you prefer getting huge movie files, try to provide some.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 01:37:16 am »
Thats fair advice Plum, in fact many is the time folks have lost a whole hard drive and recovered the majority of the lost files because they shared them with others, p2p is truly the peoples library  :yes:

Offline Plum

• Core
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 02:07:25 am »
You are so right. I've lost files a number of times too and you know how I get them back (barring my own recovery efforts which are often good, but going through gigs of lost clusters is never fun).

Oh, I wonder at times how much "courtesy" issues were technical. I will explain. A lot of the dropping and restarting could be network configuration or misconfigured firewalls. Plus, with the AEQ settings, the files keep getting added back to the same queues. So dropping and reentry every 15-60 minutes. But that isn't all. WinMX had an oversight where files were not closed every so often. So if the computer hangs, all the open downloads get truncated back to where they were before the downloads continued. So the person will restart the same file from where it started the previous session. So if you have 25% of a file one session, and then restart the transfer and download to 40% and crash, the file is back to 25% (and the hard drive has lost clusters because the crash kept the file from flushing, particularly if FAT32 filesystem was used - I am not sure about NTFS since it is a journaling filesystem and might not truncate as far back). So maybe OurMX will fix such things, like files not regularly being flushed. (Hammering the settings.dat file was another problem with WinMX since it kept rewriting that file several times a minute or more, even when the new data was no different and nobody was changing the settings.)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 05:53:18 am »
network configuration or misconfigured firewalls
that was an issue before the shutdown.... but back then one just ignored those users and downloaded from one of the many other sources.... now... with a fraction of the userbase those users are still just as prevalent yet are the only ones that have 'that file' ... misconfigurations on opennap are even more prevalent... there its a game of 'will it transfer?' with most being a 'nope'.... and with only 100 users on nap thats pretty sad...

i hope ourmx fixes the connection issues... maybe TCP push can be added to get around firewall issues...

Offline Plum

• Core
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 07:33:37 pm »
that was an issue before the shutdown.... but back then one just ignored those users and downloaded from one of the many other sources.... now... with a fraction of the userbase those users are still just as prevalent yet are the only ones that have 'that file' ... misconfigurations on opennap are even more prevalent... there its a game of 'will it transfer?' with most being a 'nope'.... and with only 100 users on nap thats pretty sad...

i hope ourmx fixes the connection issues... maybe TCP push can be added to get around firewall issues...
I sure hope so.

Offline dabud

• MX Hosts
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 02:49:02 pm »
browse their files  a hundred copies of dumbo's grand march is not sharing.
Machine # 1 - Asus Prime Z390A, i7-9700k 3.6GHz, 32.0 GB ram, openSUSE Leap 15.0 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5.12.8
Machine # 2 - Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16.0 GB ram, opensuse Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5.17.0

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Stop a user from Downloading from me

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx