gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 09:36:45 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  How to Remove U2 "Virus" ...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How to Remove U2 "Virus" ...  (Read 3417 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
How to Remove U2 "Virus" ...
« on: September 12, 2014, 10:08:52 am »
This certainly made me laugh  :yes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29157217

Do you own an iTunes account? Congratulations. You also own at least one (quite possibly only one) U2 album.

Apple marked the iPhone 6 launch by slipping a copy of the ageing Irish band's latest album into every account, deliberately infecting gadgets with some people's idea of musical malware.

Think of it as a surprise Christmas present from a relative who doesn't know you very well.

Or knows you really well, if you like U2.

If you DO like U2, great. It's a Beautiful Day* and you'll probably find Songs of Innocence an uplifting collection of soft-rock ballads.

If you don't, you'll probably want to get rid of it, pronto.

The third option is that you don't know you've got it yet, in which case you're in for a massive shock when you stick your phone on shuffle

The article goes on to show how to remove the U2 album, it seems some folks think this is some kind of  malware, unless your a U2 fan perhaps it is eh folks  ;)    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
Re: How to Remove U2 "Virus" ...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:35:29 pm »
I use iTunes and it popped up in my library. I was like eh.. I'm not really a U2 fan or anything. But I thought hey it's free so I listened to it and ya know what, it's pretty good! - I don't like how Apple forced it in to customers libraries but it's got some good songs.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 05:13:34 am »
wasnt there a special edition U2 ipod some time back too?

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:02:02 pm »
There was yup.

This was before U2 started the (Product) Red thing where money from the product being sold goes to aids research. The U2 iPod sold well enough for U2 to get the idea that making a charity as a product brand would work to get more companies on board and get more money for aids research.

So now you can buy a (Product) Red case for your iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone and I think one of the iPod Touches in Red is a (Product) Red thing entirely.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 01:40:57 am »
It seems U2 now have their own removal tool   :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29208540

Apple has released a tool to remove U2's new album from its customers' iTunes accounts six days after giving away the music for free.
Some users had complained about the fact that Songs of Innocence had automatically been downloaded to their devices without their permission.

For those in a rush to remove the "Irish supergroup" from their libraries make your way here..

http://itunes.com/soi-remove

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 10:16:07 pm »
I hate apple, their products are over complicated, over priced, lacking in even basic features and super fragile. itunes is nothing short of dreadful. The inserting without permission of music or anything else onto customers devices is worrying and very very stupid of apple, they have annoyed a huge amount of their own customers, many of which are left banging their heads against the wall and wasting their own time trying to remove the tracks. The "tool" apple have released hurridly to try to quell the negative publicity they are getting, simply doesnt work in many cases (my wife is left with 2 tracks which appear will not be able to be removed until 13th october), thankfully she has already seen the light is will be moving to andriod at the earliest possible opportunity.  The sooner apples market share plumets further, the better.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 03:03:10 am »
i wish they would come up with an ipod classic (the ones with lots of storage) that can play FLAC and vorbis and just act as mass storage rather than needing itunes.. ...ironically the cheap chinese made 'mp4' players have no trouble with vorbis even tho 9 times out of 10 its not documented that they can play it.... unfortunately tho ive yet to find one that can play FLAC...

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 05:27:42 am »
I doubt Apple will ever do this sort of thing again. It was a huge PR disaster. I've since deleted the album from my own library using the tool. The album was alright but not worth keeping.

Really stupid of them to have done this, I dunno what they were thinking. Should have just been put up for free on the iTunes Store, shoving it straight in to peoples libraries is dumb.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 10:42:42 am »
The sooner apples market share plumets further, the better.
@nobby;

i think you will get your wish now that steve jobs is gone.... the woz really needs to take over and bring back the 'geekery' of apple.... ....eh... what am i saying.. they just use non-upgradeable intel boards now... the ever-expandable and oh so hackable 'apple 2' is a dead concept to them.....

I doubt Apple will ever do this sort of thing again.
@pri;

want to make a gentlemans bet on that?

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 01:31:49 pm »
Doesn't need a bet. I doubt they will do it again, it was a PR disaster. Apple cares too much about their image to repeat this mistake.

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 10:20:51 pm »
Clever of U2, lot of exposure and apple got the blame

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 06:34:25 am »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/iphone-6-plus-can-bend-in-your-pocket/

first they push music on ppl and now their new phone can bend in your pocket... when nobby said apple products were delicate i didnt know just how delicate

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 12:48:31 pm »
and now their brand new operating system is locking users out of their own phones.

Anyone with an iphone want to borrow my Samsung to call apple tech support?  :D

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  How to Remove U2 "Virus" ...

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx