gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 08:46:01 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK Web Access And The Future In 2015
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: UK Web Access And The Future In 2015  (Read 1430 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
UK Web Access And The Future In 2015
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:28:46 pm »
An interesting article here that covers the direction of Net connectivity across the UK.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/quick-recap-major-uk-broadband-isp-

The past year has been all about technology and deployment, with the Government’s Broadband Delivery UK scheme dominating via its efforts to push BT’s 80Mbps capable Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC / VDSL2) service out to even more areas, but a lot more than that has happened. ISPreview.co.uk highlights some the key Internet technology, policy and anti-piracy developments of 2014 and predicts what might occur in 2015.

A fair read  8)

Re: UK Web Access And The Future In 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 11:44:14 pm »
I'm still waiting for fibre to the node to hit my place, still my connection seems fast enough for the family, the kids seem to only complain when i cut their net off so they have to do their chores...

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:57:36 am »
is it only 25 years ago  when connecting computer has been set up for free exchange of knowledge and documentation between the big automation companies and this same network has been opened to the public?
cdroms with free webacces for one week dropped in your letterbox on an almost daily base. Netscape being one of the leading brands.
Sad to see where our freedom goes.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 05:49:44 pm »
Virgin Medias upload speeds are a total joke. 152Mb download and .. 12Mb upload. And the ratio is just getting worse. This site says there are rumors that this year Virgin Media will launch 300Mb down speeds but that package will only come with a pitiful 15Mb upload.

Completely ridiculous. I can literally get 20Mb upload today from BT on their 70Mb plan. Almost double what I get on VM's 152Mb plan and still 5Mb more than this supposed 300Mb plan. I understand that Virgin Media are at the mercy of the DOCSIS standard but in America their upload and download speeds on DOCSIS providers are much more in tune. We are looking at 1/20th ratio for Upload to Download (300Mb/15Mb) and on many american DOCSIS companies the ratio is a much more palatable 1/4th (100Mb/25Mb - 200Mb/50Mb etc)

Virgin need to get their ass in gear and start investing in their upstream infrastructure as I really couldn't give a rats ass about the download speed at this point. 50Mb was enough download for me. 100Mb was nice, 120Mb was nice but unnecessary, now we're at 152Mb and the upload to download ratio just keeps getting worse. It used to be 1/10th then 1/12 now it's 1/13 and the gap keeps growing.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK Web Access And The Future In 2015

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx