gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 11:59:52 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  RightsCorp Attempting Canadian Extortion Fraud
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: RightsCorp Attempting Canadian Extortion Fraud  (Read 838 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
RightsCorp Attempting Canadian Extortion Fraud
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:37:59 pm »
Just when you thought that the copyright ambulance chasers had to follow the laws of the land..  :/

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2015/01/rightscorp-bmg-exploiting-copyright-notice-notice-system-citing-false-legal-information-payment-demands/

Canada’s new copyright notice-and-notice system has been in place for less than a week, but rights holders are already exploiting a loophole to send demands for payment citing false legal information. Earlier this week, a Canadian ISP forwarded to me a sample notice it received from Rightscorp on behalf of BMG Rights Management. The notice, which is posted below with identifying information removed, must be forwarded to the subscriber or the ISP faces the possibility of statutory damages of between $5 – 10,000.

The notice falsely warns that the recipient could be liable for up to $150,000 per infringement when the reality is that Canadian law caps liability for non-commercial infringement at $5,000 for all infringements. The notice also warns that the user’s Internet service could be suspended, yet there is no such provision under Canadian law.

With intellectually challenged entities like this chasing down alleged copyright infringers one has to wonder who's footing the bill for such a pathetic service, if I was an an artist represented by BMG I would resuse to pay for such stupidity.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  RightsCorp Attempting Canadian Extortion Fraud

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx