gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 03, 2024, 04:37:39 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Used to be brilliant! Now, suddenly, all u/ls timeout
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Used to be brilliant! Now, suddenly, all u/ls timeout  (Read 2514 times)

PeterPiper

Used to be brilliant! Now, suddenly, all u/ls timeout
« on: December 24, 2005, 08:05:04 pm »
Windows XP SP2
DSL 8MB connection
V.3.54
Primary user
Norton Internet Security 2006 - firewall mapped for 6699/6257
Thomsson 580 router - firewall disabled, mapped for 6699/6257
Mxmonitor

Everything used to work perfectly.  I can't associate the problem starting with anything else that has changed.  It could be the router but then I've checked and rechecked the settings.

ALL u/ls timeout.  None get through at all now whereas I used to have five or six as soon as I logged on.

ALthough search results come in I get v few d/ls running.  I used to get about 15-20 simulataneously!

Please help

Route66

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 06:00:38 pm »
:cry: The same has happened to me! Just this last few days, no changes made. So I downloaded WinMX again and applied the patch. Still no uploads will work.  Configured XP Firewall - no change. Turned off XP Firewall and Zonealarm - still no change! Checked all setup values and router port forwarding etc etc..... Have you had any success?

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 10:21:25 pm »
What ISPs are you both using?

Route66

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 01:51:35 am »
I am on Blueyonder aka Telewests cable offering. Just spent another our recheking my router config and firewalls. Still no luck though. :cry:

Offline 7

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 06:28:39 pm »
Hi, I had a look at a Blueyonder forum and didn't notice anything that might have indicated ISP filtering (at least I didn't see anyone mentioning anything), so, I tend to suspect an issue with your configuration.

A good indicator of ISP filtering can sometimes be determined by how the uploads fail, whether they start momentarily and stall ('traffic shaping'), or whether they fsail to start completely (more like a local port issue).

Anyway, one method to check your TCP is open.  Go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and click 'Proceed'.  On the page that follows there's a blue box area labeled "ShieldsUP!!  Services", in that box there's a place in which you can type.  Enter your WinMX TCP port in there and press "User Specified Custom Port Probe".  It'll test to see whether the port is responding and list the result.

Ignore the graphics that say "Failed" or "Passed" or whatever on the page that opens after initiating the test, just look at the results table with heading "Port - Status - Protocol and Application".  It will show your TCP port number and state whether it's either "OPEN", "CLOSED", or "STEALTH".

OPEN = good, and if uploads still time out after this would suggest potential ISP "traffic shaping".

CLOSED = not good, and would suggest your router port-forwarding rules are incorrect in some way (though it's possible it could be other things causing this).

STEALTH = not good, which would suggest a firewall is blocking incoming packets (and not replying at all hence a "stealth" port status).

hth.

Route66

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 06:48:34 pm »
Thanks for all the help. That is a very useful tool to know about.

I now have it sorted.  :D

In the beginning I had my XP Firewall disabled. In Zonealarm (free version) I had the XP Firewall disabled. When the problems started I enabled the XP Firewall in Zonealarm and enabled the XP Firewall in XP Pro, setting up my TCP and UDP ports. Still no joy! Today I read an article about a corrupt XP Firewall and went back to my original settings - disabled XP Firewall in XP Pro and in Zonealarm. Immediately UPloads started going through? I am ecstatic!

The question is why where UPloads not going through before I made the changes and why did reverting them kick everything back into life?

I checked the Blueyonder Network Newsgroup and they also said there was no blocking. However in my searches I came across this at  http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=20610 which talked of an ISP in USA blocking types of UPloaded files - could this be an answer to other peoples problems or is this a thing of the past or future to come?

Many thanks for all those who have helped myself and countless others in this Forum.

bingbong

Got Stealth!!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 01:30:40 am »
Quote from: 7
Hi, I had a look at a Blueyonder forum and didn't notice anything that might have indicated ISP filtering (at least I didn't see anyone mentioning anything), so, I tend to suspect an issue with your configuration.

A good indicator of ISP filtering can sometimes be determined by how the uploads fail, whether they start momentarily and stall ('traffic shaping'), or whether they fsail to start completely (more like a local port issue).

Anyway, one method to check your TCP is open.  Go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and click 'Proceed'.  On the page that follows there's a blue box area labeled "ShieldsUP!!  Services", in that box there's a place in which you can type.  Enter your WinMX TCP port in there and press "User Specified Custom Port Probe".  It'll test to see whether the port is responding and list the result.

Ignore the graphics that say "Failed" or "Passed" or whatever on the page that opens after initiating the test, just look at the results table with heading "Port - Status - Protocol and Application".  It will show your TCP port number and state whether it's either "OPEN", "CLOSED", or "STEALTH".

OPEN = good, and if uploads still time out after this would suggest potential ISP "traffic shaping".

CLOSED = not good, and would suggest your router port-forwarding rules are incorrect in some way (though it's possible it could be other things causing this).

STEALTH = not good, which would suggest a firewall is blocking incoming packets (and not replying at all hence a "stealth" port status).

hth.

After following the link, it showed that I have "True Stealth" I recently got Verizon DSL after losing my cable connection. I just got my WinMx to connect again and search but can't download anything. I assume it's a port prob after reading a bit.  I was gonna try port forwarding but I can;t get a DNS from ISP. They just say it 's automatic..

Windows ME
DSL
WinMx3.53
Westell 6100

Any insight appreciated. I'm in way over my head here! Thanks alot.

Guest7

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 02:12:16 am »
I don't believe you need a 'DNS' from your ISP to port-forward/open ports. :)  DNS means Domain Name Server, of which the details of are probably not going to be required when configuring port-forwarding.  Usually you'll only require identifying your internal 'Local Area Network' IP address when configuring port-forwarding rules.  Have a look at the forwarding section at http://www.portforward.com/ to see if your router hardware is listed there.  I think it also has a section on determining your internal IP, too, which you'll need to know for port-forwarding.

After port-forwarding, if transfers still fail (use the previously posted GRC.COM test page to test as you go along), you'll need to look at any firewall software you have running (including Windows XP firewall if you're using that).

P.S.  I dug out the guide for configuring the Westell 6100 --> http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/Westell6100/WINMX.htm.

bingbong

DNS and firewall.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 05:54:36 pm »
The port forwarding page specifically says to enable DNS. I did all the other steps and not that one. I still get "stealth" when I do the com test you posted the link to. Also, as far as I know, I don't have any firewall installed.

Thanks again for any help.

novicesurfer

winmx keeps crashing
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 11:35:16 pm »
Hi,

Today i tried to log into winmx several times. Each time it crashed within a few minutes of entering. I am with ntl.

Any ideas

Alan
 :?

PeterPiper

I'm with Bulldog.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 10:31:12 am »
Same problem continues.  No u/ls connect at all.  I can never get more than 1 d/l.

Just tocheck I wasn't goinmg insane I have remapped Norton, WinMX and my router to TCP 6111 and UDP 6222 - result?

Exactly the same!

Offline jsmit86

• Forum Member
ULs timing out Fix!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 03:57:15 am »
I have been having problems the last few days with ULs timing out too.
I am on Cox Cable in Phoenix AZ.  

What finally solved the issue for me was to remap everything using TCP 16699, and UDP 16257.  It was a hassle to reconfigure the routers, firewalls etc, but now I am getting multiple concurrent ULs

PeterPiper

Remapping ports and is Bulldog bullshitting me?
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 01:38:28 pm »
Things have improved lightly.  i actually had two concurrent d/ls yesterday but everything is miserable to what it used to be.  I used ton be able to leave WinMX on overnight and by teh morning I'd have a couple of 1GB movies and three or four albums.

I'm interested in the ports that our other contributor used.  I chose TCP 6111 and UDP 6222 at random.  Would I be better off with others?

Is there a possibility that all these problems are the result of ISP interference?  I am challenging Bulldog directly!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Used to be brilliant! Now, suddenly, all u/ls timeout

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx