gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 01:45:06 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  email a tree
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: email a tree  (Read 1840 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
email a tree
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:44:01 pm »
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/07/when-you-give-a-tree-an-email-address/398210/

When You Give a Tree an Email Address

The city of Melbourne assigned trees email addresses so citizens could report problems. Instead, people wrote thousands of love letters to their favorite trees.

"My dearest Ulmus," the message began.

“As I was leaving St. Mary’s College today I was struck, not by a branch, but by your radiant beauty. You must get these messages all the time. You’re such an attractive tree.”

This is an excerpt of a letter someone wrote to a green-leaf elm, one of thousands of messages in an ongoing correspondence between the people of Melbourne, Australia, and the city’s trees.

Officials assigned the trees ID numbers and email addresses in 2013 as part of a program designed to make it easier for citizens to report problems like dangerous branches. The “unintended but positive consequence,” as the chair of Melbourne’s Environment Portfolio, Councillor Arron Wood, put it to me in an email, was that people did more than just report issues. They also wrote directly to the trees, which have received thousands of messages—everything from banal greetings and questions about current events to love letters and existential dilemmas.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: email a tree
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:27:04 pm »
Is there something in the water ??  :o :lol:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 09:41:17 pm »
a tree is a really good listener... esp now that they have email addresses

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:21:05 am »
at least now I don't have to whisper to trees anymore, e-mail is much more comfortable when it rains

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  email a tree

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx