gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 03:37:16 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  The original WinMx developer is building a New Network
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The original WinMx developer is building a New Network  (Read 13723 times)

Offline achilles

• Core
The original WinMx developer is building a New Network
« on: August 14, 2015, 07:11:10 pm »
The original WinMx developer is building a new network with search, browse, and share functionality that operates independently of the chat channels. It will be part of the Tixati Torrent Client which he has been developing the last several years. The Tixati UI looks very much like WinMx, but I think most members here are already familiar with Tixati.  It's the only Torrent Client I use. It's one of the very few that do no contain any adware, spyware, or any other hidden goodies. The network will be built around more secure protocols. I don't know much more than that at this juncture. You can keep updated by the Tixati news feed here http://www.tixati.com/news/ 

My own opinion is the network could become the greatest P2P network to date. It would serve the needs of most P2P users. It would bring torrent users to the independent decentralized network, and all the content they share. If the developer keeps the client light on resources then i'm sure most people will love it.  The developer says he needs support by spreading the word about Tixati, and the New Network.  I ask you consider supporting the New Network once it is operational. It will need good dedicated users to jump-start the network.  We have always supported the developer in the past so I don't see any reason not to now.  He has provided us with many years of enjoyment though his hard work.  I'm sure he is capable of creating an amazing network that will bring us many years of enjoyment to come.  Please support him!

I opened the thread in the New Client Section because I don't want it getting lost in the news feed. If you can think of a more appropriate area of the forum that will still give it the exposure it needs then move it.

Sincerely,

Achilles
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: The original WinMx developer is building a New Network
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:58:54 pm »
interesting.....

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:06:45 pm »
Yep, I hope Security, and keeping it light on resources are the two top priorities in development. I think the UI, and usability are already great.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:45:51 pm »
I have been watching the Tixati bit torrent client for a long time now, its a great torrent client featuring many options I approve of that are not offered in any other competing offering, the inclusion of dht based chat was also a great idea, if hes going to add search and browse functionality to his offering it might be a two edged sword, on one hand he might be accused of facilitating piracy and on the other he is potentially freeing the bit torrent community from its server based shackles.

So much to speculate over eh  :nerd:

I wish him good luck as always   8)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:43:35 am »
Interesting.. but..

Is it going to show my ip address to the entire planet?

Will it also force me to upload the same thing im downloading?

It is a torrent thing, so I expect it will.

Being forced to share whatever it is your downloading in realtime is what gets you sued or at least disconnected by your isp.

Made even easier when your ip is sitting there in plain text for all to see.

This is/was the special thing about WinMX. You share what you want to share, when and if you want to share.

Downloads are not automatically being forced shared. Your ip can be tracked on WinMX, but that does require a bit more work than simply reading it from the client.

I can use torrent now. There are far more goodies to find than WinMX in its current state. I dont do that why?

I got busted once years ago for downloading 3 files on a torrent client. No lawsuit. But the isp cutoff the entire interenet, forcing me to call them to get it turned back on. According to the one(s) who sent in the complaint, I 'forced' some pieces of the files for 3 movies onto their computer.

The isp was saying that I must remove those files from my computer and 'maybe I have a virus'.

Then they turned on service again.

That turned me off to anything remotely like torrents, in any way shape or form.

If the author is going to try another torrent client that looks like WinMX, its a waste of time imo.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:03:18 am »
Additionally...  (it would be nice if this site had a way to edit my last post so I dont have to start another one)

I live in the US. US law could care less about what you download. You can download top secret military info, You can download anything you can find, including music and video.

Things change when you upload. Uploading the wrong things can get you sued or imprisioned.

This is why I dislike the idea of being forced by the client to upload whatever it is that Im downloading piece by piece to whoever connects.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 06:43:47 pm »
Is it going to show my ip address to the entire planet?

unless you use a VPN -every- p2p client does.... even winmx...

Being forced to share whatever it is your downloading in realtime is what gets you sued or at least disconnected by your isp.

i dunno where this mentality came from or if im missing some weird law... but downloading it is just as illegal as uploading it... ...you do share your files... right?

I live in the US. US law could care less about what you download. You can download top secret military info, You can download anything you can find, including music and video.

Things change when you upload. Uploading the wrong things can get you sued or imprisioned.

ahh.. heres an interesting take on it but no this is not legally correct....

lemme guess.. you hide a lot of what you download? but if you are caught actively downloading... something easy to do on a popular network.. you still get caught... remember at the time of winmx fall the companies were going after the networks not the users... had they been after the users just as many winmx users would have been sued as there have been torrent users....

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 08:08:32 pm »
You have erred in law Stripes, it is only uploading or the creation of a copy of a file thats illegal (copy right infringement), if you had taken the time to read most of the stories that trumpet how downloaders have been hit you would see quite clearly that the act that was going on was sharing and allowing the uploading of the files, i know of no case (US & UK) where anyone has been sued for downloading, feel free to point me to one.

https://www.eff.org/en-gb/wp/riaa-v-people-five-years-later 

You will note the correct term is being used here of sharing files and allowing uploading.

Miners lantern is correct in stating that due to the way Bit torrent works (uploading and downloading at the same time) you are automatically infringing copyright (for a copyrighted file of course).

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 06:08:39 am »
unless you use a VPN -every- p2p client does.... even winmx...

No. I see any window on WinMX which shows the actual ip of people you are transfering from or to.

It can be done on Winmx, tracing an ip of a transfer. But it requires effort. To also be accurate it requires third party software to find the ip on which ever file you are sending or getting.

Tor operates differently. Click a window and there you go. All ips of any transfers, filenames and speed too in easy to see english.

Maybe his new client will use torrent technology, but he will remove that part which displays ips. (I hope).

Winmx can block or put on ignore by username. Torrent only does that based on ip.

Winmx may not be super secure and all that, but a lot better than torrent clients, which make everything the cartel wants to do so much easier.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 06:19:22 am »
Im downloading it now. I thought it was a future thing that would happen later.

Ready to go now. So I can play with it and see what it actually does.

Very Interesting, since it exists.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 06:38:05 am »
One more thing, during the few occasions that I let winmx run, yes I am sharing.

I share what files I wish to share. If someone on the other end is interested in those files and im interested in their files the trade happens and both of us are happy.

It isnt a thing about which files are more of a target by the cartel. If I happen to be downloading a new blockbuster hit and the one on the other end wants some of my less than absolutely new content, the trade happens, both are happy.

There is no reason that the software should make that decision for me.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 07:03:02 am »
Well. Im downloading from it now. I havent found any way to see what the ips are in the client.

Searching on the web for tor lists is a pain, but I noticed that tix has a search function too. Only searches the rooms though.

This is very impressive so far.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 08:07:37 am »
Darn.

After wasting some time and downloading  a file there is a window which shows each and every ip involved along with speed.

I was all excited by this being the replacement for the original winmx.

Not anymore.

Kevin needs to make some modifications. There is no reason for the display of ips.

The way it is now, its just another torrent client, among the others. Same thing.

What a shame.

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 11:09:29 am »
Bit off topic but.....
Ever tried out OneSwarm? Been ages since i tried it and dont remember too much other than at the time it used up a lot pf pc resources.

Although widely used, currently popular peer-to-peer (P2P) applications offer no user privacy. By design, services like BitTorrent and Gnutella share data with anyone that asks for it, allowing a third-party to systematically monitor user behavior. As a result, using a P2P network means that your online activities become public knowledge.

OneSwarm is a new peer-to-peer tool that provides users with explicit control over their privacy by letting them determine how data is shared. Instead of sharing data indiscriminately, data shared with OneSwarm can be made public, it can be shared with friends, shared with some friends but not others, and so forth. We call this friend-to-friend (F2F) data sharing.

Offline Sean

• Core
    • The Rebelion
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 04:57:23 pm »
@MinersLantern
WinMX may not display IP addresses, but they are made available by the WPN in both search results and active transfers. Basing the security of a network based on visibility of IP addresses is not a good idea since your IP must be shared with anyone who wishes to connect to you.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 05:29:08 pm »
I think its more a case of having every single peer IP laid out to make life easier for the ambulance chasing speculative invoicing gangs that prey on folks, using technical tools is not beyond their talents but  these gangs want fast bucks and dont want to waste time or money employing even a poor expert to explain to a court (if it ever reaches that stage) how an IP hash is simply an obscured IP in a peer to peer network. also as your aware Sean for a torrent of copyrighted material every peer in a swarm is automatically guilty of copyright infringement simply by being in the swarm whereas the ambulance chaser will require to download from each sharing peer one at a time using a traditional peer to peer network, given the choice of either its a no brainer on which network to target when it comes to making the fastest buck.

Its so simple to scare folks into paying up for joining an infringing Bit torrent stream that a bot does it now without any human intervention.

I found this useful analysis of OneSwarm btw Reef   :)

http://freehaven.net/anonbib/cache/ccs2011-oneswarm.pdf

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 04:31:46 pm »
@minerslantern
awkward law or not... if you arent willing to share what you download ... or in other words you let the uploader take all the risk.. you dont need to be filesharing... you are a leech...

IMO if you are scared to upload it (to anyone.. none of this 'trade' crap..) .... dont download it...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 06:46:41 pm »
Sounds like a topic distraction technique in use here, lets keep it flame resistant eh folks.

We all share. What is shared is another matter however, but that is the rationale behind the networks creation and one I support, I urge everyone to share something and prefereably something they created themself, we dont need those whiney RIAA tax dodgers spying on and attacking any p2p network.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 10:29:10 am »
@Stripes.

If I want to share something, and the one on the other end likes it and wants to trade what is the problem?

If the person on the other side dislikes what I share there is no law forcing them to send me the file is there.

I am not a leech, dependent on whatever self appointed third party approves or disapproves of what I share and how they define by themselves as being a 'leech'. Trades are to be left to the traders.

It is nobody elses business what I share,

If the person im trading with likes it and is perfectly happy to trade anyway, what is your particular problem with that idea? Since you arent involved in the trade on either end, what interest do you have in telling others what to do?

Lighten up and stop trying to enforce you ideas of perfection to everyone else as far as p2p behaviour is concerned.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 02:33:21 pm »
has anyone ran tixatis new features through wireshark to see what its up to?

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  The original WinMx developer is building a New Network

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx