gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 06:02:33 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Is Winmx traffic encrypted?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Is Winmx traffic encrypted?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline salimbeni

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
Is Winmx traffic encrypted?
« on: August 22, 2015, 12:24:32 pm »
Hello.

Something that's been bothering me a long time: when I am downloading and sharing files on Winmx, can my ISP see exactly what kind of files I am sharing? I was reading a number of articles before that suggested Winmx was among the few p2p clients that utilized a protocol that was hard to detect for most ISP's, and that by virtue of it's protocol it doesn't transfer files in plaintext. But even if they identify the fact I am using Winmx, can a pocket sniffer like, say, Wireshark be used to analyze the content of files being transferred? And if yes, will an enrypted VPN service protect against this analysis? On a related note: most VPN's seem to route TCP traffic, but I note that Winmx uses UDP packets as well. Does it mean that Winmx can go outside of the encrypted VPN tunnell for it's UDP connections, and does it make a difference if I am connecting secondary or primary?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Is Winmx traffic encrypted?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 04:59:12 pm »
Theres good news and bad news here, firstly winmx encrypts everything bar the transfers so a packet sniffer will be able to see exactly what your downloading , it wont be able to see what your sharing, searching for or anything you say in the chat rooms or private message

We have made suggestions before to add the transfers to the encryptive side of things and tbh its always surprised me that this wasn't done back in the day but I was told when I asked that the reason for this annoyance is to retain compatibility with openNap as that is plain text everything,.

If your paying out for a VPN i don't see any issue with winmx either Primary or secondary and the only real difference is that the primary user shares the networking overhead and thus requires the UDP component of the protocol, secondary user use simply TCP and a different set of packet numbers but all are encrypted bar the transfers as I said above. hope that helps.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Is Winmx traffic encrypted?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx