gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 01, 2024, 02:26:48 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Payment Card Terminals Compromised at Some Colorado and California Safeway Store
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Payment Card Terminals Compromised at Some Colorado and California Safeway Store  (Read 1477 times)

Information from financial institutions indicates that payment card
skimmers may have made their way onto terminals at checkout lanes at
some Safeway stores in California and Colorado. The fraud patterns
related to debit cards traced their use to certain lanes at Safeway
stores.
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/12/skimmers-found-at-some-calif-colo-safeways/

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
this is why one uses cash or a credit card with a chip... debit cards are dangerous...

we have that paywave/paypass system here, it scares me a bit, no authentication at all and you can spend $100 each time with no verification
i thought i'd lost my wallet once and just the thought that someone could just take the card and wave it at a machine for just under $100 each time.
I've been trying to find a card without that function or at least with an easily identifiable chip so i can put a drill through it but my bank doesnt have different cards.

might need to just get a prepaid and keep what i need on it, or like you said just use cash.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
2 seconds in a microwave oven would destroy RFID tags... unfortunately it would destroy the chip that uses physical contacts (the one you want to keep) as well....

yeah exactly, you can drill them out but i think my rfid chip is in the same place as the contact chip, at least that the only place i can see dimples in the plastic

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
hold it over a really strong light if your card is dark.. which im guessing it is... and youll see the distinct square antenna... if nothing is there leave the chip alone.. the chip is more secure than the magstripe... ...at least its supposed to be.. since theres a little 8bit computer in there that checks if the vendor is legit...

afterthought; drill the antennas connection only... that way it will still function as just a chip card in the store... but you wont have to worry about rfid snoops in the parking lot...

if you hold up the card at an angle to the light, you can see the dimples in the card where something is embedded under the surface.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Payment Card Terminals Compromised at Some Colorado and California Safeway Store

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx